Authentic self

VonNoble

Knowing myself is a balancing act between my own perceptions of myself, and what others around me might tell me they perceive of me.  In more than a few cases, I trust my own perceptions of myself over those of my community, because many of my core beliefs are at odds with theirs.  In some cases, others see things about me or the way I act that I might not notice unless they bring it to my attention.

I also keep in mind that the Delphic maxim that is often translated to "know thyself" is not just a call to introspection, but also a warning against hubris.  Knowing yourself is also knowing your limitations, flaws, and any bias you might have that colors your perceptions.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LeopardBoy said:

Knowing myself is a balancing act between my own perceptions of myself, and what others around me might tell me they perceive of me.  In more than a few cases, I trust my own perceptions of myself over those of my community, because many of my core beliefs are at odds with theirs.  In some cases, others see things about me or the way I act that I might not notice unless they bring it to my attention.

I also keep in mind that the Delphic maxim that is often translated to "know thyself" is not just a call to introspection, but also a warning against hubris.  Knowing yourself is also knowing your limitations, flaws, and any bias you might have that colors your perceptions.

Interesting.  Thank you.

23 hours ago, LeopardBoy said:

as rev calli would say"spot on".

On 9/23/2017 at 1:24 AM, VonNoble said:

Thank you 

How do you determine when they have it 

right?  

von

Greetings to you my brother,

When it feels right to me.  I have just as much capacity to bs myself as anyone.  Fortunately, I have been blessed with good and caring friends who, when I need it, help me to see when I am engaging in acts of self-delusion and, gently,  help keep me grounded.  

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

1 hour ago, Rev. Calli said:

Greetings to you my brother,

When it feels right to me.  I have just as much capacity to bs myself as anyone.  Fortunately, I have been blessed with good and caring friends who, when I need it, help me to see when I am engaging in acts of self-delusion and, gently,  help keep me grounded.  

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

You are very fortunate that said friends

are so caring and GENTLE.    We need more if that in the world, no?

von

13 minutes ago, mererdog said:

I'm not sure I understand the question.  

I am not sure I have a valid one... 

Many years ago a meditation teacher

told me the present time is only between

breaths.   We can only know I our current self between the breaths

If that is true-then Self exists in the space between breaths.

von

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, VonNoble said:

Okay.   In what room (gathered for what purpose) would that not be true? 

von

Most of the time, people are not looking for deep meaningful connections.  Just off the top of my head -- a bus, movie theater, locker room, ...........   It's not that we are avoiding Human contact.  Most of the time we are quietly going about our business.  

52 minutes ago, cuchulain said:

funeral.

I thought if that too.    While it might not be an appropriate time to have thoughts about who is attractive....much of the before and after moments are quietly social.    

An an attractive person remains attractive even when no one comments on it.   

Happy is not necessarily laughing. It might be content (as in not negative) ( not griping) (not grumpy).....happy at a funeral does not necessarily mean happy the person is dead.    It can mean one accepts the passing with grace and understanding. 

von

2 hours ago, VonNoble said:

I thought if that too.    While it might not be an appropriate time to have thoughts about who is attractive....much of the before and after moments are quietly social.    

Happy is not necessarily laughing. It might be content (as in not negative) ( not griping) (not grumpy).....happy at a funeral does not necessarily mean happy the person is dead.    It can mean one accepts the passing with grace and understanding. 

von

The happiest people at a funeral are the living. You can break it down from there. 

9 hours ago, VonNoble said:

von

At the risk of coming off as a pig -- I've had the experience of attending church services, looking up at the pastor in the pulpit, and being stunned by her beauty.  No, I didn't say anything.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

At the risk of coming off as a pig -- I've had the experience of attending church services, looking up at the pastor in the pulpit, and being stunned by her beauty.  No, I didn't say anything.  

Points to you for honesty....and decorum.  :clap2:

von

• Like 1