Currently Reading . . .

Wow, I just looked over my reading list.... I've read so many books and articles since the last time I posted here....

I'm currently reading A Feast for Crows, the final book in Martin's Game of Thrones series. I'm a little dissappointed in it... it's not nearly as engrossing as the first three books, and I'm having a hard time finishing it...

I'm also impatiently awaiting the third installment of Ken Follet's latest trilogy The Fall of Giants is set in the early years of the 20th century and introduces 5 international families whose lives are intimately and intricately entwined in a tale that spans WWI, the Russian Revolution, and the Great Depression. Book 2, The Winter of the World carries the saga through the Hitler years, WWII, and the early Cold War. The last book (???) isn't supposed to be published til next year... hopefully it will be issued early in 2013 rather than later....

Edited by Songster

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I just looked over my reading list.... I've read so many books and articles since the last time I posted here....

I'm currently reading A Feast for Crows, the final book in Martin's Game of Thrones series. I'm a little dissappointed in it... it's not nearly as engrossing as the first three books, and I'm having a hard time finishing it...

I'm also impatiently awaiting the third installment of Ken Follet's latest trilogy The Fall of Giants is set in the early years of the 20th century and introduces 5 international families whose lives are intimately and intricately entwined in a tale that spans WWI, the Russian Revolution, and the Great Depression. Book 2, The Winter of the World carries the saga through the Hitler years, WWII, and the early Cold War. The last book (???) isn't supposed to be published til next year... hopefully it will be issued early in 2013 rather than later....

I just bought the first in ken follett's series, finally, I had so much to plow through this winter that I'm just getting to it :) going into the mines (with the spirit of my great grandfather) I'll keep you posted :)

I'm sure you'll like it, G. Is your copy paperback, hardback, or an ebook? (Call me old-fashioned, but I love the feel and smell of a REAL book.) I got a couple (5) used books from the thrift store to tie me over til I see Follet's part 3 on the shelves at Barnes and Noble's. The one I started first is "The Lost Books of the Bible" about the find at Nag Hammadi. I'm just getting started and it's OK so far, it doesn't contain all of the complete texts, but contains bits and pieces with commentary connecting or contrasting them with the established books. I'll keep you posted.

unfortunately, its an ebook :(. I share your love of the look and feel of a "real book", my shelves are full of old favorites, though many that I loved have been lent or lost .. with our move last year, I had to trade my love of text with the cost of transporting them cross country.

luckily, there are amazing used book stores here in the east bay, little independents that sell used books, good as new .. still on my nightstand is evelyn waugh's brideshead revisited.

I read the book you are reading a few years ago, and found it incredibly interesting to consider the how/why of "what made it into the book". I think I came away with it feeling like if these books had featured more prominently, the world may be a better place .. probably just wishful thinking. It has always been the motivations of "the church" that I found suspect, not the words or the people who follow those words with their heart.

I have gone back to reading "The Complete Jesus." It is a book that I have had since 1999. It is a compilation of "all the sayings of Jesus gathered from ancient sources." The compiler is Ricky Alan Mayotte. The book is divided into nine parts:

1. Commandments

2. Parables

3. Jesus Speaking About Himself

4. Warnings And Admonitions

6. Hymns And Prayers

7. Jesus Laughing

8. Diverse Doctrines

9. Apocalyptic And Revelation

The sources are diverse; they include:

1. Four Gospels

2. The Book of Revelations

3. The Gospel of Thomas

4. The Apocryphon of James

5. The Gospel of Philip

6. The Book of Thomas the Contender

7. The Apocalupse of Peter

8. The Gospel of Mary

9. The Exegesis of the Soul

10. The Dialogue of the Savior

11. The Sophia of Jesus Christ

12. The Second Treaties of the Great Seth

13. The Apocrypon of John

14. Epistola Apostolorum

15. The Acts of John

16. The Gospel of Bartholomew

17. The Apocalypse of Thomas

18. The Apocalypse of Peter

19. Clement of Alexandria/Pseudo-Clement

20. Kerygmata Petrou

21. Epistle of Titus, The Disciple of Paul

I am using the book as a source of meditation, and I might be using it to write certain sermons in Spanish.

Hermano Luis

• 1 month later...

It seems that the "final" book of the Game of Throne series, A Feast for Crows, wasn't the last book. I finished A Dance with Dragons (talk about a waste of paper, ink, and 2 weeks of my life)... What a disappointment!!! I won't reveal the ending because someone else may be reading it... but I was not happy with the outcome.

Since I've not been able to find The Complete Jesus in my local library (I guess I'm going to have to order it), I've decided to reread The Bible. The version I'm reading is titled The Living Bible, it's a modern English translation and is the easiest to read. (Don't worry... I won't spoil the ending for ya!)

I have started reading a series of
books and found them to be quite enjoyable and helpful and applicable
in my Christian Life. I am willing to send them anyone that wants to
read them on a first come first serve basis. My
only stipulation is that you honestly agree to read them then pass them
on to someone else that may need some Christian Spiritual
Enlightenment.
Here is the first two books and First DVD available. Again, they are COMPLETELY FREE TO YOU< I WLL EVEN PAY SHIPPING, but they are on a first come first sere basis.
I will include the ISBN numbers so that you may go to Barn's and Nobles
site and preview them by looking them up and seeing if you would be
interested.

Book #1) About the CROSS, sermons on the cross~Author Dr. Jack Scaap ISBM#978-0-9819603-8-8

Book#2) "INCLUDES BOOK ON AUDIO CD"~THE WAY OF THE MASTER~AUTHOR RAY COMFORT~CD NARRATED BY KIRK CAMERON

DVD#1 Fire Proof staring Kirk Cameron as a fire department captain
who learns how to save his marriage through a journal project and the
grace of GOD.

First come first serve. I will send the requested materials to the first responders to this post.

I have gone back to reading "The Complete Jesus." It is a book that I have had since 1999. It is a compilation of "all the sayings of Jesus gathered from ancient sources." The compiler is Ricky Alan Mayotte. The book is divided into nine parts:

1. Commandments
2. Parables
3. Jesus Speaking About Himself
4. Warnings And Admonitions
6. Hymns And Prayers
7. Jesus Laughing
8. Diverse Doctrines
9. Apocalyptic And Revelation

The sources are diverse; they include:

1. Four Gospels
2. The Book of Revelations
3. The Gospel of Thomas
4. The Apocryphon of James
5. The Gospel of Philip
6. The Book of Thomas the Contender
7. The Apocalupse of Peter
8. The Gospel of Mary
9. The Exegesis of the Soul
10. The Dialogue of the Savior
11. The Sophia of Jesus Christ
12. The Second Treaties of the Great Seth
13. The Apocrypon of John
14. Epistola Apostolorum
15. The Acts of John
16. The Gospel of Bartholomew
17. The Apocalypse of Thomas
18. The Apocalypse of Peter
19. Clement of Alexandria/Pseudo-Clement
20. Kerygmata Petrou
21. Epistle of Titus, The Disciple of Paul

I am using the book as a source of meditation, and I might be using it to write certain sermons in Spanish.

Hermano Luis

I commend you on your studies.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently re-reading a book that I read long ago, and recently saw on the shelf at the library. It's called Edgar Cayce's Story of Karma, a compilation of the psychic's life-readings of individuals seeking answers to their problems, and explains how the karmic ties that bound the souls together through several life experiences were revealed. The main theme of the book is that the Law of Karma requires souls to return, life after life, until all conflicts between them are resolved, and that only the Law of Forgiveness can over-ride the Law of Karma and release the souls from a never-ending cycle of death and rebirth, finally permitting the souls to return to The Source.

If you ever had a "deja vu"... Or wondered why you felt like you "knew" a place that you know you had never been before... Or were instantly drawn to or repulsed by a perfect stranger.... The chances are you were there before, and the "stranger" is not a stranger, but a soul you knew before, and both of you are there to work out your mutual Karma.

Edited by Songster

I never stick to one book long enough. Tonight, I read some Bible, some from the 'Abide Guide', this forum, read some articles from Survival Magazine, some other information ... etc.

Three accredited college degrees and I'm still ADHD when it comes to reading. :)

Be blessed,

Brother Earl

My stack is mostly SF.

I've recently finished re-reading 40,000 in Gehenna by C J Cherryh. Not her absolute best, but pretty decent. The story of a failed colony deliberately planted across battle lines to tie up enemy resources. The long abandonment gives rise to interesting interactions with the local wildlife. (For CJC fans, it fits into the Alliance/Union sequence alongside Cyteen, etc., but works as a stand-alone.)

Now re-reading Galactic North - a semi-linked collection of short stories and novellas by Alistair Reynolds. Highly recommended. I think he is one of the best hard SF authors writing at the moment. This volume fills in a lot of the early history of the Cojoiners and Demarchists and provides background on many of the characters who appear in his other novels. Despite these links, any of the stories reads well in isolation.

• 1 month later...

I found a paperback at the thrift store that I thought was really interesting. It's called Sri Isopanisad by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. It's a book used by the Krishna Consciousness Society (the Hare Krishnas). It's very interesting and enlightening but what I'm most interested in is at the back of the book, an ad for a book called The Higher Taste, a Hare Krishna cookbook. Online, many folks say it's their favorite vegetarian cookbook. Anyone here have any experience with it?

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I am reading my own book, "Years of Autistic Creativity" by Joseph D. Smith. I an autistic author, and my book is a literary collection of my; lyrics, short stories, and articles.

It's taken me a couple of days to finish it, so now I'm reading it again! Yay.

• 4 months later...

LAMB a novel The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore.

This book magically manifest in my life the other day and I've been joyously laughing the whole way!

The Author makes incredible connections, and while it is historically Anachronistic, it all strangely fits.

The Afterword reads: "The book you've just read is a story. I made it up. It is not designed to change anyone's beliefs or worldview, unless after reading it you've decided to be kinder to your fellow humans (which is okay), or you decide you really would like to teach yoga to an elephant, in which case, please get videotape."

"irreverent" doesn't even begin to describe it. ...but OMG is it funny!

example: while studying kung fu in china with a displaced Indian teacher, Joshua (Jesus) decides that he cannot practice a martial art that uses weapons. After a bit of fussing, the monks rework it to be an art that uses "no offense or striking at all, but instead channeled the energy of an attacker away from oneself. Since the new art was practiced only by Joshua (and sometimes myself), the monks called it Jew-do, meaning the way of the Jew." [i laugh too loud for too long at this point]

*warning* lots of profanity, way too much sex, not to be taken as an assault on ones beliefs.

You need a solid foundation in your Bible version of the story to get all the jokes -- I'm probably only catching half of them, and I'm fairly well read.

This book makes me incredibly happy, and my family is growing weary of me reading them excerpts aloud, all day and into the night.

The author has another, titled: The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror. I think it is the further adventures of Raziel, who is a main character in the backstory of this one. I am going to have to go looking for it :inno:

• 1 month later...

just finished Lord Foul's Bane, somehow I never got around to reading Donaldson before now, and I loved that the main character is a leper. Also recently finished the wheel of time series, that was forever and a day waiting for those to come out. I found myself enjoying the writing style of Sanderson more than Jordan, which almost feels like a betrayal.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Amulet locked and unpinned this topic