• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well-- I don`t consider myself anything, but my profession is doctor--meaning teacher , thus I hope to be. But I cannot put it more succinctly than Emily Dickinson--to be perhaps a minister for God.

Emily Dickinson

lens4179432_1240279639fainting-robin.jpg

If I can stop one heart from breaking

I shall not live in vain.

If I can ease one life the aching

Or cool one pain

Or help one fainting robin

Unto his nest again

I shall not live in vain.

namaste,

S

Edited by sarkany
  • 1 year later...

Where did I get this lesson - "Your one strongest belief is and can count as your religon"?

Now go Minister, Teach, be the Messanger of that Belief. "dust your sandles off" if no one wants that belief ( or give RIOT act, which ever comes to instinct first )

Do not ever resort to excusing yourself on the behalf of another or agency or outside influence - stay 'inside' and take full responcipbility.

To Minister is to be a Leader, a Teach and a Messanger of the concepts that are always evolving in your mind, time and place. Please leave your experiences here in the forum.

Now some music...

:shout:

Edited by RayCalculaMinistraDeGezza

This is a question each and every one here has asked them selves many times. I will re-phrase the question to ask what does your religious title mean to you. We live in a World that likes Titles! Job descriptions! Names that show your Status in the Society! They mean something to us also. I was an Inspector in a machine shop. My title of "Inspector" gave me the right to pass judgment on machined parts and assemblies.If I had"First Piece Inspector" added to my job title, I gained the right to inspect and accept the initial set up of a machine and to OK it to begin a production run. It was a bump in job status. As regards the World Of Religion, a title of Rev., Friar,or Rabi, allows you to have your Religious Opinion seen as "Official". People are more inclined to listen to what you say than if you were only a "Lay Person". As to how it can affect us? We now know that what we say and do, from the day we add a title to our name, will be seen from a differing point of view than before the title was added. Our words ans deeds will carry more weight to many people. Plus, we officially post our beliefs when our title is part of our official and legal name. We, in affect, come out of hiding. Even to ourselves! Can any of us ever look into a mirror and not see some one we did not know was there? Some may wonder if they can live up to that title! Others may choose to keep it silent! All will be changed by it in some way. I look in my mirror and see the "Rev. Cook". I am still pondering just who I now am. A work in progress I think. And, so I shall remain! Peace be with you all as you search for who you will become.

I think this is a very good question. Religious organisations usually define what the duties of it's ministers are. So they defines the word minister as it pertains to them. The ULC is a product of American culture and the American notion of freedom of religion, freedom from a state authority controlling religion.

So this is why you can have a conservative Christian ULC minister and a Satanist Minister. They are their own authority and decide how they should minister and what a minister should do.

Being a ULC Minister is more spiritually important than most people give us credit. For those of us, who the responsibility is a spiritual one, beyond being able to marry, we see this 'freedom of religion' as a core part of our practice as spiritual beings. We learn to get along with other ministers who we may disagree with on fundamental levels.

A true spiritual calling, is best accepted voluntarily.

I had a friend basically insult me because of my ULC membership. He said he trusts his Christian minister who is properly trained and properly ordained. I don't really talk to this friend any more. He's happy with his mega church, prosperity gospel, looking down on non-believers faith.

As a Wiccan style minister, the best I can do is focus on learning more, putting energy into my faith, and helping other Wiccans who may choose to come to me for advice. What little I can offer.

The greatest thing any of us can do as ministers is to walk our talk, and set an example with our actions.

I would not put your friend down because he is just a normal sheepy. From an early age, we are taught to trust the judgment of "Adults"! That has us believing that all properly designated Adults are to be looked at as athorities. I eventually came to the belief that there are no Adults! Only older children. Some are mature in their thinking and actions, and, some are lesser so. If these people we were suppose to look up to were so knowledgable, why are there so many differing view points? And, why so many Religions? I came to the conclution that they were all striving to find the answer to the question, "What is the meaning of Life?" None of the pervaers of any Religion can point to irrefutible proof that says that they have found "The Answer"! By that reconing, I have as goos a chance to come up with my best guess on my own. No one has all the answers. I am free to pick and choose among them and "Make up my own mind and compile my own set of beliefs!" As such, I, like others here, carry my Religion within me. I am a minister of these beliefs. Not the beliefs of others that they put forth as the "Only Official Beliefs!" We walk our path alone,but, next to others walking their own paths. Peace to all in your travels. Rev. Cook

I would not put your friend down because he is just a normal sheepy. From an early age, we are taught to trust the judgment of "Adults"! That has us believing that all properly designated Adults are to be looked at as athorities. I eventually came to the belief that there are no Adults! Only older children. Some are mature in their thinking and actions, and, some are lesser so. If these people we were suppose to look up to were so knowledgable, why are there so many differing view points? And, why so many Religions? I came to the conclution that they were all striving to find the answer to the question, "What is the meaning of Life?" None of the pervaers of any Religion can point to irrefutible proof that says that they have found "The Answer"! By that reconing, I have as goos a chance to come up with my best guess on my own. No one has all the answers. I am free to pick and choose among them and "Make up my own mind and compile my own set of beliefs!" As such, I, like others here, carry my Religion within me. I am a minister of these beliefs. Not the beliefs of others that they put forth as the "Only Official Beliefs!" We walk our path alone,but, next to others walking their own paths. Peace to all in your travels. Rev. Cook

A great philosophy to live by Rev. Cook.

Thanks for sharing.

The greatest thing any of us can do as ministers is to walk our talk, and set an example with our actions.

When it comes down to it, being a minister can mean anything the minister wishes it to be.

Tell that to Phil Robertson guys :) The Duck Dynasty star and former minister paraphrased a bible verse saying that homosexuals would not inherit the kingdom of God, and A&E booted him off his own show. There's a downside to walking our talk and saying what we mean. Being P.C. has over-run the first amendment, say what you believe and lose your job..

"Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Corinthian 6:9-10) - NIV

I feel like "being a minister/priestess" is to live a life of kindness and respect for the planet and the people on it. most people who seek my counsel have no idea that I take this seriously and live by my code, they just think I'm a good listener :)

re: duck dynasty dan, I don't think it has as much to do with being pc or the first amendment, it has to do with advertising, and profits. as offended as many are by homosexuality and homosexuals there are just as many who find his comments and position terribly offensive. he works for the network. they make the decisions. they decided they didn't like his comments.

I've read one of his sermons. he might be a lovely gentleman, as long as I didn't have to discuss religion or homosexuals inheriting the kingdom of heaven, we'd probably get along just fine. I admire a hardworking family that sticks to their guns (!) and has each others back.

I became ordained for legal reasons only.

This is mostly the same reason that I did. I got tired of discussing-debating doctrine just to be told that my view was not valid because I did not have a piece of paper saying that I could say what I was saying....Pharisees - Sadducees anyone?

So now they say it is not a "real" ordination because it was thru the mail, and THEY studied for years at collage....I tell them they are just ticked because I can LEGALLY do most EVERYTHING they can, place "proper names & titles" before-after my name, and am not $100,000 in debt...they usually are very quiet after that...then we can get back to the important stuff. :console(1):

As for "the rest of the story", my entire life has been one of service, I have been a full-time caregiver to my mom, the better half's mom, various other family members on both sides, (all passed on now) while being a 24/7/365 caregiver to my better half for 25 years this coming Feb....this is my ministry, lived out.... :derisive:

And because of the Original ULC HQ fight we all can reap the legal benefits, so how cool is that?! :dirol:

Censorship of religious views is disturbing whether done by the government, corporations, or lobbyists for gay rights. If someone espouses beliefs or engages in a lifestyle that is unpopular, why is it so often that the first reaction is to silence and marginalize them? Is anyone's leg broken by these beliefs or lifestyles? Look, I get that homosexuals will probably say that nobody had a problem with it when it was happening to their community. And that's certainly true-but is revenge really the best motive? I like what Gandhi said: "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

If "ALL" Religions would follow a simple rule, "Do what you will so long as you do no harm!" Women do not always share a view of matters that many men do, but, men find ways to get along! And, Visa Versa! My way or the high way can only lead to conflics. Brotherly Love should be more than a glib saying. Unhappily, Religion and Power too many times go together in setting rules and behavior. Rev. Cook

Dan,

There is nothing new about this. Mahatma Gandhi taught that going to prison is a natural consequence of standing up to power. For that matter, think of the early Christians who died in the Roman arena for their faith. Think of the religious persecution today, in China. Nobody said that "doing what's right" would be easy.

:)

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Tell that to Phil Robertson guys :) The Duck Dynasty star and former minister paraphrased a bible verse saying that homosexuals would not inherit the kingdom of God, and A&E booted him off his own show. There's a downside to walking our talk and saying what we mean. Being P.C. has over-run the first amendment, say what you believe and lose your job..

"Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Corinthian 6:9-10) - NIV

I had no idea that he was a minister, or that by slurring a groups of people based solely on their sexuality alone as identifier, was walking the walk as a minister.

Usually I would join you in defence of the persecuted, but I was unaware that an old white hetro male multi-millionaire in the USA was the characteristic of a defenceless persecuted person.

Matthew 19:21-24
New International Version (NIV)
21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.
23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”
  • Amulet locked this topic