Recommended Posts

Greetings to you all my sisters in brothers,

 

Not quite two months ago now, my brother Bill noticed a painful lump starting on his left cheek right below the ear.  This was pretty painful and continued to grow in size.  Not quite a month ago, his tongue began to swell, and he also developed sharp back pains that made it very difficult to stand up or walk for more than the length of his small apartment.  He saw the doctors, and at first had been given some very inconclusive results.  The day after Labor Day he went in for more tests and was told he had cancer that had spread thru out his body.  The doctors had wanted to admit him right then and there to begin an aggressive series of treatments, but being the VA they had made him wait so long in the outpatient department that by the time they had come down to give him the news, he had gotten disgusted and left.

 

Last week Tuesday, I had driven down to Chicago to take him to his doctor's appointment.  I couldn't believe how much his condition had deteriorated in the space of a few days (I've been going down a few times a week since he told me about his problems to check up on him and do his shopping).  I took him to the VA for his appointment, where the doctor told me of how truly serious his condition was, and had him admitted right away.  

 

Friday night, the tumor (which has extended into his throat) began to close off his airway.  The doctors had tried to call me, but my wife and I were busy getting new cell phone, and my phone was being backed up and the contents transferred to the new one while they were attempted to call.  By the time I had received the message, they had already put him on a Ventilator and transferred him to the ICU.

 

On Tuesday, since he was breathing pretty well without the vent help, we decided to remove the Vent.  He actually improved a little and can now communicate.  But his cancer is not going to get better, and he has at most only a few weeks left.  

 

I tell you all this in part to explain why I have not been around much these past few weeks, but also to ask for your prayers for us at this difficult time.  I especially reach out to my pagan brothers and sisters for their prayers.  My brother has been a pagan for most of his life, and I wish to honor his path.  If any of you are a part of the pagan community in Chicago, or the SyFy or Animee community there, you will probably know of or have met my brother Bill.  

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings to you all my sisters and brothers,

 

I thank each of you for the prayers you have been sending for my brother and my family during this difficult time. I have spent the past two days in Chicago getting my brothers legal affairs in order and making memorial plans.  I ask that you continue in our prayers for us, as I for one need them.  THe hardest part of all this is next week on Friday, my wife and I leave for England for 10 days.   My eldest son Charlie is taking care of my brother while we're away, but it does not make leaving him any easier.  

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2017 at 10:54 PM, RevBogovac said:

You will both be in our (family) prayers.

 

11 hours ago, Rev. Calli said:

Greetings to you all my sisters and brothers,

 

I thank each of you for the prayers you have been sending for my brother and my family during this difficult time. I have spent the past two days in Chicago getting my brothers legal affairs in order and making memorial plans.  I ask that you continue in our prayers for us, as I for one need them.  THe hardest part of all this is next week on Friday, my wife and I leave for England for 10 days.   My eldest son Charlie is taking care of my brother while we're away, but it does not make leaving him any easier.  

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

 

And you are still on our (family's) prayers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

 

 

And you are still on our (family's) prayers.

Greetings to you my brother,

 

Thank you for your prayers.  We need them.  

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2017 at 6:47 PM, Rev. Calli said:

Greetings to you my brother,

 

Thank you for your prayers.  We need them.  

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

 

I know, unfortunately...

 

That is a terrible decease where there comes a time when one can only hope and pray for a quick resolution.

 

We continue to pray for you and yours in these undoubtedly tough times.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel awful for your situation.  I do wish I had something useful to offer.  Or more comforting.  Alas, I have nothing to offer but my deepest sympathies.  

 

Jonathan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i wish your family the best,and may your brothers suffering be short.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greeting to  you all my sisters and brothers,

 

While my heart is breaking, I can at least report that my brother made the transition from this life to the next Tuesday at 5:08 am.  The day before, I was able to fulfill what was his final request to me and bring him a boom box as well as a selection of his Jazz CD's.  When I played the first one for him late Sunday afternoon, he fell into a deep restful sleep like I had not seen him do for weeks.  I had received a call at my home about midnight from the doctor saying he was having some trouble breathing.  We decided not to put him on a respirator again, instead, we tried a rebreather mask.  About an hour later his stats had improved and the doctor thought he would be ok for awhile.  I asked her to make sure his music was playing and tried to go back to sleep.  About 3 I got another call saying things were deteriorating again and that I had better drive down from Milwaukee.  I arrived at the hospital about 10 minutes after he had passed away.   I am sad that I was not there to hold his hand, but at least I was able to provide him the music that meant so much to him.

 

I thank each of you for your prayers and/or good wishes during this difficult time in my life.  

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Rev. Calli said:

Greeting to  you all my sisters and brothers,

 

While my heart is breaking, I can at least report that my brother made the transition from this life to the next Tuesday at 5:08 am.  The day before, I was able to fulfill what was his final request to me and bring him a boom box as well as a selection of his Jazz CD's.  When I played the first one for him late Sunday afternoon, he fell into a deep restful sleep like I had not seen him do for weeks.  I had received a call at my home about midnight from the doctor saying he was having some trouble breathing.  We decided not to put him on a respirator again, instead, we tried a rebreather mask.  About an hour later his stats had improved and the doctor thought he would be ok for awhile.  I asked her to make sure his music was playing and tried to go back to sleep.  About 3 I got another call saying things were deteriorating again and that I had better drive down from Milwaukee.  I arrived at the hospital about 10 minutes after he had passed away.   I am sad that I was not there to hold his hand, but at least I was able to provide him the music that meant so much to him.

 

I thank each of you for your prayers and/or good wishes during this difficult time in my life.  

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

 

I mourn your loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

may your brothers journey be one of peace,love and light.

you are in my thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been on this site in a while but I know your brother is in good hands now. Peace and blessings upon you, my brother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Im sorry for your loss,instead of :my condolences.After my dad passed with cancer,I felt a degree of depression=grieving.Its a time ,I believe one must look after themselves,as it causes stress in ones life to a greater or lesser degree.

 

Stress in the medical/mechanical model,generates cortisol,a stress hormone,for fight /flight reactions.

 

This in turn,gobbles up the neuro -transmittors our brains run on,leaving our brains running on empty,which is why we feel bad.

 

Personally,I don t like feeling bad,so I leaned into walnuts and pecans to raise my seratonin levels a few times a week,after my family member passed .I also took a one a day vitamin,which ive  been doing some 31 yrs now,on the one a day.

 

I wrote a term paper on transient situational disorders back in college .It had roots in battle fatigue/shell shock.It stated a duty expectant atitude was therapeutic.Extra sleep,even with sedatives,3 square meals a day...being treated at the front

.I was plagerized,someone used it as a doctorate paper,not too long after I wrote it,& I happened to see my work in psycology today...believe it or not.

 

So the difference is,this kind of stress can hit us when we lose our loved ones,natural disasters,diagnosis of major diseases...,,thus putting the extra stress on our lives,besides PTSD.

 

Over the ensuing yrs,I incorporated some of what I learned in my health & longlife resource pages,coupled to my 4,5,& 6 leaf clover sales,as a charity fundraiser for the past 30 yrs,mainly for the red cross.

 

In the past 20 yrs,I told the red cross ,they could just hand them out ,where appropriate,& put them on the bill as therapy.

 

I recieved a AASc in Mental Health Technology,with a minor of Soc Work,up in the Detroit Metro area.It was a para professional degree,& I can do therapy under psychologists,& masters of Soc Work,as well as psychiatrists .So its alsogood for pastoral counseling for chuch types like here.

Personally ,I have a low regard of prescription anti depressants.I believe the health food store supplements are kinder and gentler to our bodies.Whey Protein powder is one of my go to s for stress ,depression,mental fatigue....It has 4 or 5 amino acis that can be taken separatley for this,,phenylalanine,branch chain aminos,glutamine,gaba,...I like 1/2 a scoop,for dose,the other 1/2 can be taken 4 to 7 hrs later...

Saint Johns Wort extract is superior to prescription tricyclic anti depressants,its also called hypericin.In Germany ,they use it as a prescription drug,here ,it a OTC item.

The Wanuts and pecans boost ones seratonin level in 24 hrs,same principal as zanax,,zoloft,SSRI s/Prozac,.Avacadoes ,boost seratonin levels too.Turkey boosts the amino acid of tryptophan,but Ive had the Wicca flamin Frost say,it will ruin ones sex drive,Turkey will,&so its best left to those that are sex offenders,& celebates....

There is a supplement called 5HTP,for depression,best taken at bedtime for a good nites rest...anti depressant of the tryptophan type/anti depressant.

 

So,if you don t like one,try the next,is my philosophy;The Whey protein powder tho,has a combination of 4 or 5 in it.The B complex 50 is good for stress as well,with the multi one a day vitamin,& the whey protein smoothie,extra rest,3 squares a day,& try to keep extra stress out of ones life.

As for cancer,its said it likes to ffed on sugar,take extra anti oxidants,theres a new immune stimulant called beta1/3,1/6 glucans,which is 50 to200 times stronger than japanese medicinal mushroom s,like maitake,reishi,&**aki.

Most remissions occur in those that go on a veggie diet.I like meat,myself.There is TVP ,& one can add it in with meat to stretch the meat out.

Extra fber carries some of the extra fats out of our bodies tho

 

So,all that read this,I hope youll take this to heart,& know I m trying to keep some others from some extra hard time,,and allieviate unnecessary suffering.Be good to yourselves,I ll be having Chicken for Thanksgiving,in substitution for turkey,which I try to keep out of my diet.Be good to yourselves & be blessed.RevKHBostic,Soc Work Tech& Mental Health Technician.God bless us all Amen.

 

Edited by revkhbostic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now