On 4/12/2019 at 6:46 PM, Seeker said:

Seems rather inconclusive.

Not too me.  We can dance around the details.  The Exodus, as stated in Exodus, never happened.  There was no Mosses;  No Ten Plagues; No drowning of the Egyptian Army  -- and no wandering lost in the dessert for forty years.

For me, this is part of a larger picture.  No historic Adam and Eve; No historic Mosses and no historic Jesus.

It takes more than bald assertion, to make historic events real.  If there was real evidence for any of it -- the pious would be rubbing our faces in it.  They're not because there isn't any.

:mellow:

That leaves us with  -- Faith.          :rofl:           No.          :wall:

:harhar:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Remember bush jr continually asserting wmd we're in Iraq and his opponents pointing out the flaws?  Then we .liberated. the Iraqi as if that was the goal?  Same thing.  If the wmd had been there they wouldn't have stopped showing them on the news to prove it.  Instead we got nothing.

15 minutes ago, cuchulain said:

Remember bush jr continually asserting wmd we're in Iraq and his opponents pointing out the flaws?  Then we .liberated. the Iraqi as if that was the goal?  Same thing.  If the wmd had been there they wouldn't have stopped showing them on the news to prove it.  Instead we got nothing.

Yes.  Think of all the true believers.  Digging up the Middle East, looking for proof.  What did they find?

Besides not being a science book -- the Bible also isn't a history book.

:drinks:

I had a teacher in high school who taught the Bible as literature.  When another kid asked about the Koran, she insisted the Bible would just be literature.  Then she had us recite, the whole time yelling hallelujah and amen...

This is the insidiousness of the religious.  They start small and then walk tall...all over other's rights.

1 hour ago, cuchulain said:

I had a teacher in high school who taught the Bible as literature.  When another kid asked about the Koran, she insisted the Bible would just be literature.  Then she had us recite, the whole time yelling hallelujah and amen...

This is the insidiousness of the religious.  They start small and then walk tall...all over other's rights.

Yes.  What gets me is that special smugness, that true believers have.  They have the TRUTH.  They KNOW.  You don't.

1 hour ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Yes.  What gets me is that special smugness, that true believers have.  They have the TRUTH.  They KNOW.  You don't.

We just don't have the answers.  Guess we should just accept whatever 😂

47 minutes ago, cuchulain said:

We just don't have the answers.  Guess we should just accept whatever 😂

An honest question, is still better than a dishonest answer.  I don't know is still a good answer.

At this point in my life, the only reason I could have to care about the Bible -- is if someone I respect -- a genuine thinker -- could demonstrate real value in the Bible.

Look at the people on this board, who follow the Bible.  Fact free assertions and appeals to blind faith.  No thanks.

I've already read the Bible.  Cover to cover.  It's too late to BS me.

On April 15, 2019 at 6:40 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

An honest question, is still better than a dishonest answer.  I don't know is still a good answer.

At this point in my life, the only reason I could have to care about the Bible -- is if someone I respect -- a genuine thinker -- could demonstrate real value in the Bible.

Look at the people on this board, who follow the Bible.  Fact free assertions and appeals to blind faith.  No thanks.

I've already read the Bible.  Cover to cover.  It's too late to BS me.

Jon -

Even Israel Finkelstein, the archaeologist and co-author of The Bible Unearthed, when he conducts the family seder goes through the haggadah without editorial comment or embellishment.

In that spirit, I wish you and anyone who celebrates the holiday a zissen Pesach - a sweet Passover. If this Rego Park born and bred kid ever makes it back to Jackson Heights perhaps over coffee or good wine we can respectfully arm wrestle over the issue  whether there is, or is not, value in the Tanakh.

2 hours ago, RabbiO said:

Jon -

Even Israel Finkelstein, the archaeologist and co-author of The Bible Unearthed, when he conducts the family seder goes through the haggadah without editorial comment or embellishment.

In that spirit, I wish you and anyone who celebrates the holiday a zissen Pesach - a sweet Passover. If this Rego Park born and bred kid ever makes it back to Jackson Heights perhaps over coffee or good wine we can respectfully arm wrestle over the issue  whether there is, or is not, value in the Tanakh.

Thank you, Rabbi.  While I will not be observing the event -- I wish you a happy and joyous Passover.

Jonathan

:bye:

I find value to most works, whether i consider them mythology or history.  It's just a different kind of value.  I personally don't have strong associative ties to the exodus so it falls in the entertainment realm for me.

5 hours ago, cuchulain said:

I find value to most works, whether i consider them mythology or history.  It's just a different kind of value.  I personally don't have strong associative ties to the exodus so it falls in the entertainment realm for me.

My background is Jewish.  I went through a period in my life, when my religious involvement was strong.  Prayer and study.  I had a circle of Hassidic friends.  Well, things change.  I did.