• Announcements

    • Senior Lightworker Lucas

      Message from the office   07/13/2017

      There is an important message from the ULC Staff Office in the Admin Announcements & Maintenance forum. More info is on the way regarding new changes. The new area, Interpath Academia & Scholarship is open for creating new topics. We hope these areas will offer productive and insightful discussion. Please be sure to read the updated ULC Online Forum Statements, Rules & Policies, and the introductory post for each area. 
Joyful

Gospel and Reincarnation

10 posts in this topic

Hi all!  I am of the belief that we are most defiantly recycled!  Having been told I am over 10,000 years old and some days I most defiantly feel like it.  I truly believe we are reincarnated.  I do not believe we go through steps like being a animal and progressing up to a human.  I do believe we are sent back into different situations to each learn or teach and most times both. I know of a few of my past lives.  One I was a monk and one an orphan.  Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences with this!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I am not sure what the Buddhist texts say about soul transfer in their texts. I didn't take to studying that part in depth. It is a curious question, though!

I could be wrong; I think the Dalai Lama mentioned somewhere just as you have mentioned about your beliefs, that reincarnation isn't a progression up or down a hierarchical food chain. (e.g. if human, always reincarnated as human.)

To me that would create somewhat of a caste system, based on how humanity approaches the value of life.

 

Once a cockroach, always a cockroach? The creatures do serve a purpose even if it is not my purpose! However, I am unable to reconcile being stuck as a cockroach for 10,000 years for myself.

 

I am of the belief that soul energy will return to serve the purpose which is most needed at the time. If I am needed to be a cricket for two days, a bee for a month... I am continuously part of a plan and purpose that is in a process of seeking balance and harmony.

 

I was once told that I was a peasant who lived in Spain in the 1400s or something like that. It didn't resonate with me. Something else might have. That one not so much. :huh:

 

:purpleheart:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

something to keep in mind,not all buddhists(or hindus)believe in reincarnation,and transmigration of"your soul"is a different ballgame.

 

for myself,i do believe i have been"here"before,and will be again.do i believe i will come back as human?yes.do i believe i would come back as a  cockroach ?no.but i do think that i have lessons i have learned,some i haven't learned yet,and some i just plain screwed up and need to re learn.

Edited by mark 45
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

I have recently wondered about Buddhism, and I suppose differing branches is the explanation.  I have read that Buddhists don't believe in a soul.  But also in the same book, that they do believe(usually) in reincarnation...but I cannot fathom how a being without a soul could reincarnate.  Can anyone clarify for me?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

I'll reference Lion's Roar since they are a well respected publisher of Buddhist concepts and manage to intermingle the different aspects of east/west traditional/modern decently well.

 

Do Buddhists Believe in a Soul

 

Essentially what is called a soul is a matter of vernacular.  Some say soul, some say Buddhanature with a caveat that there is no ego attached. Therefore it is more of a nature or incorporeal force than a corporeal "spirit" or "entity."

 

(What I referred to as 'soul energy' earlier; for the purpose of reincarnation - said energy would incorporate itself into a new form. -->incarnation.)

 

 

Edited by Senior Lightworker Lucas
edited for clarification

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting. I guess it's a different idea of what a soul is perhaps?

 

I have always thought of the soul as the energy consciousness of us without the ego anyway. Spirit seems to me attached here due to the ego, earthly attachments, fear, etc.even when disembodied. I read somewhere there is research going on having to do with ego being related to or somehow connected to environment and our personal biochemical makeup, or perhaps strongly affected by it. I don't recall where I read it, if it's being privately done or scientifically and publicly funded though I'd think if it was publically funded it would be posted and updated some were regularly. I'll have to dig a bit for that some time I guess.

It seems back in the 70s there were a lot of scientific and spiritual blends of research, some leaning more one way or the other. Because it's an unseen element in the physical sense, it's as difficult as air to nail down or wild energy to control.  Being a mom, a wife and having headaches that limit my reading time (always had them off and on) I can't seem to dig as often or as deep as I'd like to.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, AmberLF said:

Interesting. I guess it's a different idea of what a soul is perhaps?

 

I have always thought of the soul as the energy consciousness of us without the ego anyway. Spirit seems to me attached here due to the ego, earthly attachments, fear, etc.even when disembodied. I read somewhere there is research going on having to do with ego being related to or somehow connected to environment and our personal biochemical makeup, or perhaps strongly affected by it. I don't recall where I read it, if it's being privately done or scientifically and publicly funded though I'd think if it was publically funded it would be posted and updated some were regularly. I'll have to dig a bit for that some time I guess.

It seems back in the 70s there were a lot of scientific and spiritual blends of research, some leaning more one way or the other. Because it's an unseen element in the physical sense, it's as difficult as air to nail down or wild energy to control.  Being a mom, a wife and having headaches that limit my reading time (always had them off and on) I can't seem to dig as often or as deep as I'd like to.

 

Like so many other religious questions.  Opinions are many and diverse; and facts are few indeed.  

 

We are not going to come to any conclusions, until we can define the basic terms.  Even then, I see much diversity and little agreement.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/17/2017 at 4:33 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

 

Like so many other religious questions.  Opinions are many and diverse; and facts are few indeed.  

 

We are not going to come to any conclusions, until we can define the basic terms.  Even then, I see much diversity and little agreement.  

 

 

Absolutely we won't come to any overall conclusions. I'm pretty sure it isn't going to be possible as long as fundamentalist ideas of any religious belief system exists. It doesn't hurt (well, not usually anyway) for more reasonable people to discuss those beliefs and differences, even if we don't follow them or believe them ourselves.

Share this post


Link to post

I think it is detrimental to any debate to have multiple definitions of the same thing.  The energy in the body is called soul by some, chi by some, buddhanature by some, spirit, and so forth...but it's all referencing the same thing while insisting it isn't that thing at all.  Without one working definition, it makes the concept difficult to discuss.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, cuchulain said:

I think it is detrimental to any debate to have multiple definitions of the same thing.  The energy in the body is called soul by some, chi by some, buddhanature by some, spirit, and so forth...but it's all referencing the same thing while insisting it isn't that thing at all.  Without one working definition, it makes the concept difficult to discuss.

 

 

Much like "God", "Chi" is an elusive concept.  So is "energy" outside of physics.  So is "spirit" and "Spirit".  None to be confused with "spirits".  Then we have "spiritual" which does not help understanding.  

 

What then is "soul"?  We don't have the words in common.  

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now