Words From The Wise...your Favorites

Emerson may hate quotations, but I love them. They give me fuel for meditation, inspiration, and motivation. They can inform and enrich my own philosophies about life, the universe, and everything...one book called them patches of godlight. Here are a few of my current favorites below. Please send me some of your favorites too.

"Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it." --Lewis Carroll

"Real religion before God is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world." --James 1:27

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were big things.” --Kurt Vonnegut

"All men are by nature equal, made all of the same earth and by one Workman; and however we deceive ourselves, the poor peasant is as dear to God as the mighty prince." --Plato

"You get what you get and you don't throw a fit." --My Granny

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a good one I came across this morning:

"Prepare for the difficult while it is still easy. Deal with the big while it is still small. Difficult undertakings have always started with what's easy. Great undertakings always started with what is small. Therefore the sage never strives for the great, And thereby the great is achieved." --Tao te Ching, Lao Tse

Here's a good one I came across this morning:

"Prepare for the difficult while it is still easy. Deal with the big while it is still small. Difficult undertakings have always started with what's easy. Great undertakings always started with what is small. Therefore the sage never strives for the great, And thereby the great is achieved." --Tao te Ching, Lao Tse

The Dao De Jing is a great work but unfortunately obscure at times.

It is written in classical Chinese which is very hard to translate.

"Never be so sure of yourself that you do not allow for others being equally as sure of themselves." - my "Mormor" (granny)

"Always allow a fool their own sense of self righteousness, after all, that's probably the best thing they have going for them!" - my "Poppy" (granpa)

"If I were the person that others wanted me to be, I wouldn't be who I am!" - me

Blessings of Peace,

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" -Thomas Jefferson

It seems that corduroy pillow cases are still making headlines. :)

Live large---be happy---put it on the card, the bill is for tomorrow---Whoops tomorrow is here.

"I've told you a million times--Don't exaggerate!!" ----A Jewish mother.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world. - Author unknown

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"There are three kinds of people. The people who understand math, and the people who don't."

"Some mean learn by watching. Some men learn by reading. Some men have to pee on the third rail."

:harhar:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

I’d rather entrust the government of the United States to the first 400 people listed in the Boston telephone directory than to the faculty of Harvard University. — William F. Buckley

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. — Edmund Burke

Out of every hundred new ideas ninety-nine or more will probably be inferior to the traditional responses which they propose to replace. No one man, however brilliant or well-informed, can come in one lifetime to such fullness of understanding as to safely judge and dismiss the customs or institutions of his society, for those are the wisdom of generations after centuries of experiment in the laboratory of history. — Will And Ariel Durant

“The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” — Alexis de Tocqueville

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. — Ben Franklin

Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have. — Barry Goldwater

I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. — Thomas Jefferson

Compassion is defined not by how many people are on the government dole but by how many people no longer need government assistance. — Rush Limbaugh

Millions of individuals making their own decisions in the marketplace will always allocate resources better than any centralized government planning process. - Ronald Reagan

I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There’s a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts. - Ronald Reagan

Conservatives have excellent credentials to speak about human rights. By our efforts, and with precious little help from self-styled liberals, we were largely responsible for securing liberty for a substantial share of the world’s population and defending it for most of the rest. - Margaret Thatcher

Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. — George Washington

If liberalism was so great, why must it be mandated? - Happy

• 2 weeks later...

~ "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistent one."

- Albert Einstein

~ "There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a proper application of high explosives."

-Tim Robbins, 'Even Cowgirls get the Blues'

~ "Hark, hark! The dogs do bark!

The Duke is fond of kittens.

He likes to take their insides out

and use their fur for mittens."

- "The Thirteen Clocks" { sorry, I never can remember the author! :( }

... Yeah, that one's not for inspiration or anything. Just for freaking people out when there's a pause in the conversation, y'know?

That's kinda inspirational isn't it? Gets the conversation going... My sister would just turn to someone & say, "The moon is full of the souls of rabid raccoons!"

{ Probably a quote from somewhere :dntknw: }

I've found that people take longer to lable ya loony if what you say rhymes...

:dirol::shades2:

My grandfather was a fountain of folk wisdom... One of the many truisms he passed on to me is "Locks are meant to keep honest men honest." Another of his favorites was "Once a mule has made up his mind, only a bullet will change it."

~ "Hark, hark! The dogs do bark!

The Duke is fond of kittens.

He likes to take their insides out

and use their fur for mittens."

- "The Thirteen Clocks" { sorry, I never can remember the author! :( } (James Thurber) :)

"Hark, hark! the dogs do bark!

the beggars are coming to town,

some in rags, and some in tags,

and some in velvet gown".

A memory from my childhood,

it could be found, once upon a time, in

"The How And Why Book of Knowledge"

(a multi-volume compendium for children)

in the early 1950s

Edited by Hexalpa

My grandfather was a fountain of folk wisdom... One of the many truisms he passed on to me is "Locks are meant to keep honest men honest." Another of his favorites was "Once a mule has made up his mind, only a bullet will change it."

Good one Songster! I too love the wise words of the older generation. But alas, not all of them had you grandfather's eloquence...I used to work to work for an old lady when I was twelve who used to say "you can smell yer own ass before anyone else can." Which had some profound meaning that was lost on me at the time.

Edited by Rev'd Rattlesnake

From my TI...

"Life sucks, then you die....suck it up and press on."

To translate in to non-military: Life is full of things beyond your control, dont get worked up over them and move on to things you can control"

Here is one that I thought I coined only to hear it years (the two clauses seperately) later from another source.

"Dont thrash and embrace the suck"

Dont Thrash....when your in a drowning situation, thrashing is the worst thing you can do...you expend a lot of energy and get no where and could even cause you to drown faster. Embracing the suck is all about making your piece with things beyond your control. together, lay back, try to float and dont fight the things you cant control.

I’d rather entrust the government of the United States to the first 400 people listed in the Boston telephone directory than to the faculty of Harvard University. — William F. Buckley

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. — Edmund Burke

Out of every hundred new ideas ninety-nine or more will probably be inferior to the traditional responses which they propose to replace. No one man, however brilliant or well-informed, can come in one lifetime to such fullness of understanding as to safely judge and dismiss the customs or institutions of his society, for those are the wisdom of generations after centuries of experiment in the laboratory of history. — Will And Ariel Durant

“The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” — Alexis de Tocqueville

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. — Ben Franklin

Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have. — Barry Goldwater

I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. — Thomas Jefferson

Compassion is defined not by how many people are on the government dole but by how many people no longer need government assistance. — Rush Limbaugh

Millions of individuals making their own decisions in the marketplace will always allocate resources better than any centralized government planning process. - Ronald Reagan

I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There’s a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts. - Ronald Reagan

Conservatives have excellent credentials to speak about human rights. By our efforts, and with precious little help from self-styled liberals, we were largely responsible for securing liberty for a substantial share of the world’s population and defending it for most of the rest. - Margaret Thatcher

Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. — George Washington

If liberalism was so great, why must it be mandated? - Happy

While nobody else will acknowledge these wise and relevent quotes, I will do so by echoing them. Kodos to the OP, and MEGA-KUDOS to the brilliant men who first coined these truisms.

:59:

For he who feels he's being ingnored....

Brilliant is not the adjective I'd use to describe these men. My response to what you deem to be "wisdom".........Ppppppppbbbbbbbbbbbtttttttthhhhhhhh!!!!!

Edited by Songster

• Amulet locked this topic