Do They Really Believe That?

17 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I can't at the moment recall their name.  An interesting bunch.  

They provide lawyers for High School students. who don't want to stand for the Pledge.

They are also working to get Humanist chaplains, for the American Military.

do you mean the aclu?humanists(at least here)are aliening with atheists to fight for"separation of church and state"and are kept quite busy(by"christians"no less).beyond that,they give seminars explaining who they are and what they're about.no secret agendas.

the only confusing thing i find is the secular humanists vs spiritual humanists vs humanists.

57 minutes ago, mark 45 said:

do you mean the aclu?humanists(at least here)are aliening with atheists to fight for"separation of church and state"and are kept quite busy(by"christians"no less).beyond that,they give seminars explaining who they are and what they're about.no secret agendas.

the only confusing thing i find is the secular humanists vs spiritual humanists vs humanists.

The group I'm trying to think of, has Humanist in their name.  

The Spiritual Humanists started off as an online church.  I think I have their ordination.  The last time I looked, their site was on automatic pilot.  I found a group on Facebook, which might possibly be descended from this "church".  It was such inane, incoherent drivel that I never went back.  I doubt even they knew what they were about.

There was -- I think -- a Secular Humanist group that came out with a Secular Manifesto.  The memories are dim.  I don't know if they are still around.

As a generic term, Humanists are just that.  People who are concerned with Humanity, instead of the supernatural.  One more word that gets misused and abused.

59 minutes ago, Pete said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51491471

This is us from 4 billion miles away. Which in space terms is nothing. Centre of the universe phooey!!

Try to make sense of genesis with this. 

Yes.  The stars.  Little sparkly things decorating the firmament.

And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

16 Then God made two great [d]lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also. 17 God set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth.

All that just to give us some light. This measly speck of dust in the vastness of space. Several days work on the earth and one days work for the rest of the universe. Its laughable really. Talk about overstating ones importance to everything. 😂

Edited by Pete

Hubble Deep Field photo

" This view of nearly 10,000 galaxies is the deepest portrait of the visible universe ever achieved by humankind.Called the Hubble Ultra Deep Field, this galaxy-studded view represents a "deep" core sample of the universe, cutting across billions of light-years."  The description used was 'like looking through an eight foot long drinking straw.
https://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic0611b/

https://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic0611b/zoomable/          <------ this one is pretty cool

From here  https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2018/10/18/this-is-how-we-know-there-are-two-trillion-galaxies-in-the-universe/#3bb3f55b5a67

there is an estimated (low count) of 176 billion galaxies in the visible universe, with the upper limit thought to be closer to two trillion galaxies.

"I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose."     J.B.S. Haldane 1927

And from here https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._B._S._Haldane

"God has an inordinate fondness for stars and beetles." . . . Haldane was making a theological point: God is most likely to take trouble over reproducing his own image, and his 400,000 attempts at the perfect beetle contrast with his slipshod creation of man. When we meet the Almighty face to face he will resemble a beetle (or a star) and not Dr. Carey [the Archbishop of Canterbury]."

"The conservative has little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of passions. These are the wreckers of outworn empires. "

" There does not seem to be any particular reason why a religion should not arise with an ethic as fluid as Hindu mythology, but it has not yet arisen. Christianity has probably the most flexible morals of any religion, because Jesus left no code of law behind him like Moses or Muhammad, and his moral precepts are so different from those of ordinary life that no society has ever made any serious attempt to carry them out, such as was possible in the case of Israel and Islam. But every Christian church has tried to impose a code of morals of some kind for which it has claimed divine sanction. As these codes have always been opposed to those of the gospels a loophole has been left for moral progress such as hardly exists in other religions. This is no doubt an argument for Christianity as against other religions, but not as against none at all, or as against a religion which will frankly admit that its mythology and morals are provisional. That is the only sort of religion that would satisfy the scientific mind, and it is very doubtful whether it could properly be called a religion at all."

deep field.jpg

7 minutes ago, mark 45 said:

most of the people and all of the mods have gone to face book.this is about as active as it gets.welcome to the forum.

Well that's unfortunate as I don't do fb, it's a little too creepy and controlling for my tastes. And thanks for the welcome.

Edited by damnthing