Currently Reading . . .

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a little light reading there huh, Kirsten ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! Actually there's a method to my madness...

Mammalian Osteology is to help with the preparation and articulation of my rat's skeleton. Cordelia passed away of cancer and liver failure on December 5th, was necropsied on December 20th (she was in the freezer before that) and her skeleton has been in a tank with dermestid beetles since then.

Stiff is just for fun and the historical perspective, plus a family member recently passed away and brought to the forfront issues of how I want my cadaver to be handled when the time comes.

The Magician's Companion is research, always looking for new info and methadology.

And I've added The Complete Book of Tarot because a while ago I had started making my own deck of Tarot cards but lost interest after finishing the Major Arcana. I felt the project deserved to be finished but I needed to know more about the card meanings before I took them up again. So this goes under fun, research, and craft project.

Currently reading Hogfather by Terry Pratchet.......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is a great book. I recommend it to ULC in general. Also Small Gods by the same author. Well, everything by Pratchett is brilliant in some form.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Hilarious.

My recent reads:

Winner of the National Book Award by Jincy Willett: Sort of a commentary on sex, need, literary pretension, and human relationships. I really enjoyed this, but I probably won't read it twice.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold: If you haven't read this, do.

The Cup of the World by John Dickinson: Fantasy, pretty well-constructed little world. Explores some interesting territory with issues of responsibility and conscience and consequence. Left me feeling strangely off-balance--I'm still not sure I can exactly say that I liked it, but I've already read it twice.

The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint: Very cute.

Mammalian Osteology is to help with the preparation and articulation of my rat's skeleton. Cordelia passed away of cancer and liver failure on December 5th, was necropsied on December 20th (she was in the freezer before that) and her skeleton has been in a tank with dermestid beetles since then.

Ok Kirsten...uh...this is just kind of strange...why??? :unsure:

I'm reading "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" by Allen Dean Foster. This is the very first Star Wars novel (er, except for the Star Wars novelization). It was written shortly after Star Wars was released. I'll be interested to see what direction Foster took the story in, because I didn't like how Lucas developed the story in the sequels (so much so that I've boycotted the prequels).

I've just started reading the Divinci Code. From what i have read, i am loving every minute of it.

Also i am reading the Women in Black...

The Bloody Chamber...

Volpone...

Lots of Marvell Poetry...

Passages...

The Book on the taboo of knowing who you are..

And loads more, but it would take me as long as it takes to read them to post it here.

Hope all is well!?

:beach:

I'm reading Handfastings & Wedding rituals by Kaldera & Schwartzsein

I'll be reading this one in the next day or so! I can't wait! I'm currently reading Instinctive Archery Insights, Free Stuff for Busy Moms, re-reading Shogun (again) and Green Witchcraft II(again.) Does anyone have a good historical fiction book they recommend? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Bible... Oh, Just teasing you guys :lol:

I'm reading Viktor E. Frankel's Man's search For Meaning which is about the humanity of (a) Holocaust survivor(s) and the psychology of prison "life" in defiance of his/their intended death. It deals with coping skills and when humans have nothing, nothing at all, except their intellect and imagination and spirit.

Has anyone read "The Ultimate Frontier"?

"An account of the ancient Brotherhood and their profound, world-wide influence during the last 6000 years. This book explains the mysteries of human existence intelligently and provides a moving and practical message of hope." From the back cover.

It talks about Atlantis, Lemuria, karma, the coming world changes etc.

rather strange as it is kinda written as an autobiography but is rather strange fiction. It is classified as non-fiction or at least that's what is says on the front cover.

You can find it at http://www.adelphi.com

"I'll be reading this one in the next day or so! I can't wait! I'm currently reading Instinctive Archery Insights, Free Stuff for Busy Moms, re-reading Shogun (again) and Green Witchcraft II(again.) Does anyone have a good historical fiction book they recommend? "

Hey Manderbeast! How is that Greenwitchcraft series? I've been thinking about reading it but I haven't been able to find the books yet. Is it any good?

E.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" by Allan Dean Foster. This was the first Star Wars novel (released about a year after the movie came out). He also wrote the Star Wars novelization.

I must say it was pretty mediocre. The plot was okay but the characters of Luke and Leia were not reasonable extrapolations from the movies. Luke was suddenly very worldy and Leia was suddenly stupid. The Luke/Darth battle at the end was anti-climactic. Finally some important things were left unresolved. I must say, though, that I was warned beforehand and didn't listen.

• Amulet locked and unpinned this topic