Currently Reading . . .

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toast: a story of one boy's hunger, by Nigel Slater.

His autobiography written in terms of the food he ate growing up. His mother used to burn the toast every morning, but still he loved the fact she made it for him. She died when he was eight, replaced by a stepmother who used food as a form of agression.

It's funny and sad and surprising. :thumbu:

Toast: a story of one boy's hunger, by Nigel Slater.

His autobiography written in terms of the food he ate growing up. His mother used to burn the toast every morning, but still he loved the fact she made it for him. She died when he was eight, replaced by a stepmother who used food as a form of agression.

It's funny and sad and surprising.  :thumbu:

That sounds like a great book!

I finished "The Scimitar and the Veil; Extraordinary Women of Islam" by Jennifer Heath. It was wonderful, I highly recommend it. It deals with a handful of women from the seventh century to the present.

Right now I am reading "The Working Poor, Invisible in America" by David Shipler.

QUOTE: That sounds like a great book!

It really made me nostalgic for my grandmother's scrambled eggs on toast (if there's a heaven I will eat them again) and the biscuits I used to get as a kid.

Soulfood for English people... :)

Your recommendations sound great. I haven't seen "The Working Poor" but I read "Nickeled and Dimed" by Barbara Ehrenreich a few months ago: depressing reading. No surprises if the working poor don't vote: they'll be too knackered to get to the polls.

• 2 weeks later...
This is making me want to read!!  Unfortunately, I have put off reading for pleasure until I finish writing my own first series... only have three more to go!!

Does that count for this topic of "what" I'm reading?? :blush:

Heck yeah...but only if you let me preview it before the general public!!! :rolleyes:

I just started reading Bitten by Kelley Armstrong. It's about a modern day werewolf who happens to be a strong willed, intelligent female. Ms Armstrong's book are all like this and though they begin a bit slow they are action packed and hard to put down.

Edited by AZCowgirl

I am now trying to read Holy Blood, Holy Grail. Not an easy book to read. :mellow:

if you can get past some of the leaps that they make

and some serious biblical faux pas

it is a good read and does present some interesting ideas

my main problem was that in several places there are phrases such as "in the bible it says..." when it says no such thing

and some appearant misquotes in other places, and not just different translations, but rather misquotes from the King James version....it makes me wonder about the "scholars" that produced it and why they feel the need to misquote something to prove a point when the evidence exposing it is so easy to find.

Now I'm reading

The Genesis Code (forgot the authors name)

Matrix (forgot that authors name too-conspiracy theory type book loaned to me by a friend with a good heart and a puzzled mind.)

American Gods-Neil Gaiman

The Samurai's Wife-Laura Joh Rowland

I'm re-reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown cause I really thought it was fantastic.

Finished BUDDHISM FOR DUMMIES - helpful to me as I am starting at ground zero....I had an overview of this particular school of thought in college.....and a few incidents of interactions with Buddhism as my path crossed it in some ways over and over - but this is my first serious attempt to understand MORE THAN the surface information.

In this book (for dummies) a good many questions were answered. Taking it to the next level - a good many replacement questions surfaced. :)

In addition I am reading the last two chapters of BUDDHISM FOR BEGINNERS....the entire book is a question/answer format and a VERY easy read. Very helpful as to the origins of many Buddhist beliefs and written in "plain English". I will be finishing this book tonight.

I am also half-way through THE TEACHINGS OF BUDDHA............I am deliberately reading this book slowly as it allows for (promotes) (causes) (invites) a great deal of thought. As soon as I finish it - I am quite certain I will start at the front cover and read it even slower the next time.

von

:lol: just finished reading: I LOVE YOU STINKY FACE! :lol:

It is a children's book I picked up for my my grand-niece (I didn't do well on that portion of the SAT test.....to clarify - the child of my niece who turns two years old today)....is that my grandniece?

Yet another thing upon which I am clueless :D

Von

Guest Houselfjoy

Randall Garett.. Murder and Magic.. for fun.. and /The Battlefield is the Mind.. Joyce Meyer.. /and Basic types of pastoral care & counseling by Howard Clinebell.. the revised version.. /Just finnished Too many Magicians.. by Randall Garett.. easy reading..

Randall Garett.. Murder and Magic.. for fun.. and /The Battlefield is the Mind.. Joyce Meyer.. /and Basic types of pastoral care & counseling by Howard Clinebell.. the revised version.. /Just finnished Too many Magicians.. by Randall Garett.. easy reading..

Gotta get me some of those Randall Garrett books. Thanks for the heads up on them, Joy!!!

I'm still working on "The 12th Planet" by Zacaria Sitchan. I've been reading it off and on for at least 2 years. I'm not normally this slow with a 500-page paperback, but this one has caused me to read a number of pages, then put it down to ponder. I'm quite enjoying his research and findings related to the summarians and evidence pointing to our solar system not being the solar system of hundreds of years ago. Also the evidence pointing to supernatural beings and very early space travel. Well worth the read!

• Amulet locked and unpinned this topic