24 minutes ago, Seeker said:

My point was that one trend is "everything is grey" and the other is "everything is black or white".

I agree that both trends have been around since the year dot, but I'm seeing both turned up to 11 recently.

I see that in a more cyclical or wave pattern. This "tango" has also been around for god know how long. Just read the dialogues from the ancient Greek philosophers or the transcripts of Ancient Roman senate debates... nothing new, just rehashed. (Or did you think Trump, Putin, Bolsonaro, Duterte et al. actually invented this whole theatre?) 

3 hours ago, Seeker said:

My point was that one trend is "everything is grey" and the other is "everything is black or white".

I agree that both trends have been around since the year dot, but I'm seeing both turned up to 11 recently.

Sometimes, people go with grey, because they don't want to argue.

:mellow:

3 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

I see that in a more cyclical or wave pattern. This "tango" has also been around for god know how long. Just read the dialogues from the ancient Greek philosophers or the transcripts of Ancient Roman senate debates... nothing new, just rehashed. (Or did you think Trump, Putin, Bolsonaro, Duterte et al. actually invented this whole theatre?) 

Of course not, but having followed politics for 45 years I would say that the professionals are a bit worse, but the general public has become much more partisan.

On 3/31/2020 at 11:00 PM, RabbiO said:

Is the sentence supposed to read "Judaism and Islam rely too much on the enforcement of brutal rules and therefore they diminish themselves?

As always, I ask for a reason.

I doubt you will return Rabbio as you usually pop in and then disappear.  As I see it there is brutality in the law. It is being promoted as gods law and that it is hallowed.  Now you may disagree but burning wayward daughters of priests, killing none virgin brides, killing your own children because they have differing religion or have been abusive to their parents, stoning gay people, slaughtering neighbouring towns because someone from that town preached a differing religion, and I could go on. Whether you do that or not nowadays is not the point as it is still described as gods perfect law. It is brutal and I make no apology for that.