Sign in to follow this  
Key

One covenant, or two?

Been dwelling on thoughts based on a debate I was reading recently in the comments section of a Facebook post. (Of course, there's always a debate of some kind there.)

Thought I might get some better perspective here from my friends and brothers (and sisters).

A person commented that with the New Testament, there are only really two commandments:

1. Love thy neighbor as thou love thyself.

2. Honor God above all other gods.

The reason stated it was because the Old Testament was intended as a covenant with the Hebrews. Whereas the New Testament was a covenant with the Gentiles.

It goes further.

God initially gave ten commandments to the Hebrews, which were His laws for them to follow. Leviticus presented the Laws of Moses. Though it might be said it was divinely inspired, it could also be seen as laws of men. Which the Sarducci and Pharisee took to steps further, apparently. 

This lead to the hypocrisy that Christ took offense to and preached against to place focus back on God, not laws of men.

As He commanded that His teachings and good news be spread to the many nations, (meaning preaching to gentiles), He sought to bring about the inclusion of the gentiles without conversion to Judaism. He sought peaceful coexistence, though He knew conflict was still possible because of His radical thinking. 

Christ had stated He did not come to abolish the laws, but to fulfill them. He did not alter the Old Testament covenant with the Hebrews, but rather presented a new covenant for the gentiles in the New Testament, of which He became the sacrifice required for them.

The commenter stated that Christians use the Laws of Moses, though it was never intended to apply to them (as they are not Hebrew or Jewish), but often overlook the two commandments Jesus presented, when preaching their biases.

I can see some logic to this thinking, but am not formally educated on theological study.

Is he right, or even close? What do you think? (Preemptively, sorry for the inevitable opening of the can of worms here.)

Matthew 22:35-40 King James Version (KJV)

"Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,

Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

This is the first and great commandment.

And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

These are not presented as new commandments, but simply as distilations of the previous ones. The notion seems to be that as long as you are doing these things, the rest will take care of itself. If you love your neighbor, you won't murder him... That sort of thing.

Also...

Edited by mererdog
  • Like 2

Matt 19 16-22

Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

“Why do you ask me about what is good?”Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

"Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.Then come, follow me.”

Edited by mererdog

11 hours ago, mererdog said:

Matthew 22:35-40 King James Version (KJV)

"Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,

Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

This is the first and great commandment.

And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

These are not presented as new commandments, but simply as distilations of the previous ones. The notion seems to be that as long as you are doing these things, the rest will take care of itself. If you love your neighbor, you won't murder him... That sort of thing.

Also...

Yeah, I always believed along that line of thinking.

But now, what of Leviticus? Are those laws still to be obeyed, or is it that the Commandments are only important?

If they are, then in this day and age, not sure anyone will be found innocent anymore.