An interesting topic emerged tonight in a discussion between

myself, an RN, an EMT driver and a physician.

All of us gathered to in one way or another support someone in a

critical care situation.

There was some joking going on as to who got the big bucks when you

break down the number of hours really required to do the job and it made

me assess what the cost is for ministers......not necessarily in dollars.

When the conversation eventually (as the night wore on) got to a serious

moment I found myself musing that the cost to be in an "on call" service

oriented role - is not at all related to money but more a payment one makes

at the price of owning your own time.....

You sort of lose your own claim to time if you are "on call"....

Doctors and ministers (cops, firefighters) - are never really off duty are they?

What is the cost to you for fulfilling the role of minister (not that you are complaining

about it - but more just noting you are aware of it.?)

Or maybe it is of interest to note the toughest part of the job. I suspect it has

nothing to do with others but rather with self?

Von

Had myself a second had store once. It was quite lucrative at the time. I often came into possession of holy books of different religions including the Holy Bible. I also managed to get quite a stock of American Flags. I came by these things from buying a pallet of boxes of junk at auctions and if I could find one or two things of value in the boxes, it would pay for the entire pallet and anything else sold out of them would be profit. I never sold a holy book or an American Flag. If a customer expressed an interest in any of those items I would give it to them. That is the same as my ministry. My religion is not an evangelistic one so not too many people know that I am a minister. Of those who do, when asked I minister without cost to anyone. Ministry for profit or self-benefit (other than the warm fuzzies), to me, is a prostitution of my soul.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are in a group of people and disaster of some kind strikes, all will look around them for help. If you are the only one with a Title before your name that sounds like you might be of help, you are elected! You can not hide or run away! You can not defer to some one else the implied duty that goes with that title. This is but one of the cost that comes with your title. Be ready! Your day may come.

• Amulet locked this topic