Okay...so...quitting Smokin.

murphzlaw1

• Administrator

Wife has also quit at this point, she's been off smokes for 2 days. She is NOT using the patches. Just stopped smoking.

I'm on day 5 without smokes, but am still on the patch. At this point I feel I could probably not use them and be okay, since I appear to have broken most of the habits that went along with it. Altho when I get bored I still have the urge to go outside and have one. But I'm doing better than the first couple of days.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wife has also quit at this point, she's been off smokes for 2 days. She is NOT using the patches. Just stopped smoking.

I'm on day 5 without smokes, but am still on the patch. At this point I feel I could probably not use them and be okay, since I appear to have broken most of the habits that went along with it. Altho when I get bored I still have the urge to go outside and have one. But I'm doing better than the first couple of days.

Carry on Murph, You're doing fine.

• Administrator

wife relapsed, had a bad night at work. so she caved. which, is okay.

she doesn't want to use the patch. Her choice. I'm doin all right. Again, it's when I'm bored that I have the strongest urges.

doesn't seem to be a need for the nicotine, as much as "okay, I'm bored, and at this point I'd usually go to the garage and smoke one.."

If you find yourself going into the garage to smoke, do what my friend did: pick up a tool, wrench, screwdriver, it doesn't matter - whatever is near. Now hold it like a cigarette and act like you're going to smoke it. Feels silly, right? The point of the exercise is to reinforce in your mind that you are breaking the hand-to-mouth habits and motions that go with smoking. The more bizzare the activity, the easier it is to laugh and move on to a different activity.

be careful when you start using the"weaker"patchs.the drop in nicotine level was to drastic for me. at first your blood pressure also drops a bit temporarally and it gave me one hell of a headache.by a couple of days later,i was ok,but stayed at that level longer than what the program called for.went off that level and never used the "lightest"ones.like i said,the only thing i miss is smoking itself.

Edited by mark 45

• Administrator

Tonight is the 1 week anniversary of my last cigarette.

I have started not wearing the patches. No noticable difference. Maybe just a teeny bit antsy, but nothing I can't overcome.

Still have the occasional urge to run out and smoke, but I haven't caved. I'm pretty pleased.

• Administrator

I found another trigger today: working on computers.

My router had some issues and wasn't communicating with the computer. Couldn't get online.

Fought with it for about an hour. By the time I figured it out....oh lordy did I want a smoke.

I didn't, tho.

:)

I guess I'm fortunate that my employer actually funds a program for quitting smoking. They've teamed up with the American Cancer Society for the "Quit for Life" program. Some insurances also cover it. Mine (Aetna) doesn't, but, since work pays for it, meh.

(quitnow.net)

I enrolled on the website last week, and they DID call later that day to finish the registration. I didn't call back until this morning. I'm ashamed to admit I was a little scared about it. (denial issue? maybe.)

I'm personally a little leery about quitting smoking. I know it needs to be done, and I know that it's not healthy, it's better for me, and it's expensive. I know, intellectually, all of these things. The problem is, I've been smokin for goin on 20 years now, minus the 8 weeks I was in basic training.

So! I called this morning and finished my enrollment. My employer is so nice, they even fund the quitting tools, which is 2 months worth of the nicotine patches, or gum. I chose patches, because right now, I want a visible reminder of what it is I'm doing. I figure with the patches on, my brain will actually recognize that I'm GETTING the nicotine that my brain thinks it wants. I guess once my brain is okay with that, and not having to have the actual cigarette in my hand, then I can get off the patches and be done.

To be completely honest, I'm really not that confident of succeeding in quitting smoking. This will probably be one of the toughest things I have ever done. And since I been adminin you yahoos for 9 years, you know that's sayin a lot. :P

One of the things that kinda hit me was when I was going thru the registration. The girl (sounded super cute..) asked me WHY I want to quit smoking. I thought about it...and my first answer was "my kids. I want to be around for them later in life." My son is 14. My daughter is 9. If I keep going down the road I'm on now...I'm 35. I wanna live for at least another couple of decades.

I've kinda tried to start slowing down, in preparation for this. I probably won't focus on it that much until the patches show up, which will be Mon or Tues, I think. That suits me.

We've set a quit date of Oct. 13. I'm not really concerned about hitting that date, so long as I DO stop.

I really wouldn't mind some messages of encouragement now and then, if you're so inclined...

I will, I think, keep this thread updated with progress, issues, whatever. Ignore it if you like, I don't care. It's more for my use than anything, I think, anyhow. :P

Day 1, enrollment, waiting for patches/literature.

Murph, I applaud you for taking the first step to quit, as that is often the hardest. And quitting any addiction is a tough, soul wrenching process, and cigs are the worst. Nicotine is very addictive, but it certainly assures a loyal client base.

Quitting is possible, my brother smoked for ten years before going through a program. He hasn't lit up in over five years! It is possible, and you CAN do it!

• Administrator

I was going to try them, but it's still nicotine. You know? Trying to get over the nicotine by replacing it with another way to inhale nicotine.

I am off the patches, too. I was supposed to wear them for a while, but...they turned out to be unnecessary.

No smokes, no patches. I did go back to caffeine, tho, by way of Lipton Raspberry tea. and I had a root beer the other day.

I deserved it. :P

11 days without smoking.