I've already made a few posts, but I figured I might as well say "Hey!" to everyone while I was at it, so you could see who's behind the computer screen at my end.

My name's Samuel; Sam, or 'Hey You!' works, too -- hailing from Metro Detroit.   I've been a ULC-er since my junior year of high school -- 2002.  I've largely been a pagan since, particularly Wicca, so the ULC suits my needs quite well.

I've performed several marriages, in Wayne, Macomb and Genesee counties, and am familiar with many of the local Registers of Deeds, as my 9-5 job is in Title Insurance!   So, this is right up my alley.   I'm also a graduate student at Eastern Michigan, studying public administration, after having taken an undergraduate degree in political science and public law.

I'm a pretty unremarkable guy otherwise.   Chaplain, honorary D.D., Ph.D. in Religion (ULC, 2006) ... and interested in being the guy people come to for advice when they need it.  I'm an amateur radio operator, too, and a Star Trek lover.  I have my occasional vices, too... cheap booze, ladies, song... and buddies to tell those tales to... So I like to think I'm your average, early-30s "guy's guy."

Feel free to say Hey!  I hope I'm REASONABLY approachable!   Feel free to launch questions at me, too, if you need help with performing marriages in Michigan.

Warmly,

--Sam

Universal Life Church of Michigan

• Like 2
Just now, Rev. Calli said:

Greetings to you my brother,

I echo the sentiments of my dear brother Mark 45 when I too offer my welcome.

Ok, Shatner Kirk, or Pine Kirk?

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Thank you, Mark -- and Rev. Calli!   A pleasure to make your acquaintance!

And hmmmmm... both definitely have plusses and minuses.  While I'm definitely a millennial, I think Pine Kirk speaks to the younger millennials than myself -- but if I HAD to chose, I think we'd have to go with Shatner Kirk.  I'm not Shatner's [irl] biggest fan -- but he's definitely a fantastic actor, and played Kirk incredibly well.

kirk.jpg

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Rev. Calli said:

Agreed.  We shall get along fabulously if you can answer but one more question.  The Voyage Home, or First Contact?

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Oh, The Voyage Home. Hands down. I like Picard better, don't get me wrong -- but if HBO was showing The Voyage Home, and Starz was showing First Contact.... ehh, I'm probably watching HBO.  ;]

27 minutes ago, RevSam said:

Oh, The Voyage Home. Hands down. I like Picard better, don't get me wrong -- but if HBO was showing The Voyage Home, and Starz was showing First Contact.... ehh, I'm probably watching HBO.  ;]

Indeed thou art wise, and a valued and dear friend :)

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Rev. Calli said:

Agreed.  We shall get along fabulously if you can answer but one more question.  The Voyage Home, or First Contact?

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Rather unfair to me, as First Contact was mainly a Next Generation vehicle, so the original Star Trek characters were never the main focus of the story. If they had been, we would have had more development of their view and thus more screen time to enjoy.

• Like 1

Hey! Nice to meet you!  I was a independent insurance agent for 15 years during part of this life and I'm now retired and working full time at being a ulc minister.  Officiating and writing books that are in a rewrite currently but loving helping.  I have a Masters in Ministry this year from ULC Seminary.  Anyone traveling through Tucson Az is welcome to stop and say hi!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Joyful said:

Hey! Nice to meet you!  I was a independent insurance agent for 15 years during part of this life and I'm now retired and working full time at being a ulc minister.  Officiating and writing books that are in a rewrite currently but loving helping.  I have a Masters in Ministry this year from ULC Seminary.  Anyone traveling through Tucson Az is welcome to stop and say hi!

Thanks for the warm greeting!

Funny, I work in insurance as well -- commercial title insurance, more specifically!

I love officiating weddings, I've been lucky to do several -- and hope to do many more in the future!

--Rev. Samuel
Universal Life Church of Michigan

• Like 2
On 7/28/2017 at 7:20 AM, Key said:

Rather unfair to me, as First Contact was mainly a Next Generation vehicle, so the original Star Trek characters were never the main focus of the story. If they had been, we would have had more development of their view and thus more screen time to enjoy.

Fear not, thou art a valued and dear friend also.  Indeed both were very fine movies.  The only reason I prefer the Voyage Home more was that there is nothing like seeing Spock use, in his words, colorful metaphors :)

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RevTom said:

Hello, Rev Sam. I have been a member here for a while, but took a long hiatus, and am just now back - I think 4 or 5 days or so. It is good to hear from you.

Thanks, Rev Tom; and likewise, Brother!   Glad you came back after aforementioned hiatus! 

• Like 1
On 7/28/2017 at 7:20 AM, Key said:

Greetings to you my dear brother,

This is true.  And both were fine movies in their own way.  Still, Spock trying to use colorful metaphors is a siight to behold.

In soldarity,

Rev. Calli

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/27/2017 at 4:47 PM, RevSam said:

I've performed several marriages, in Wayne, Macomb and Genesee counties, and am familiar with many of the local Registers of Deeds, as my 9-5 job is in Title Insurance!  

Hi Rev Sam,

Welcome! I was curious how reverends get their ideas for wedding services, and readings (especially for a non-Christian couple). Do you have any books or references you use for marriages or other religious services? I've never performed a public wedding or religious service and I"m looking for ideas.

Have a good weekend!

a lot is going to depend on what the couple wants.there are several different books available(send me a pm and i'll list some of them for you),as well as your personal beliefs.

i follow a buddhist path,so mine tend to be in that sense.but if the couple wants something different,i will accommodate accordingly(most couples want little to no "religion"from me so it is not a problem). 

Welcome Greg I was and Independent Insurance agent for 15 years!   The ULC bookstore has some great books with Wedding ceremonies that cover all types of belief and non belief systems.   I let the couple choose what parts they want and will use even a line from one and a line from another to Tayler it just for them.  Occasionally I will write it my self if they are not finding anything they like.  Best of Luck!