Does the human soul exist?

cuchulain

On 8/19/2017 at 5:26 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I doubt if there are many original thoughts left.  I first heard something similar in 1969.

I don't remember anything in 1969. Unless it's something like, "you bet your sweet bippy!" ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Key said:

I don't remember anything in 1969. Unless it's something like, "you bet your sweet bippy!" ;)

It was the big Vietnam, anti-war protest called "Moratorium" in Washington D.C.  One of the featured speakers, Dick Gregory, told us that if Democracy was so wonderful, we didn't have to force it onto other nations.  They would steal it from us.  The memory lingers.  

:mellow:

The joys of getting older.  To me, this is only history.  Not ancient history.  

:sigh2:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

It was the big Vietnam, anti-war protest called "Moratorium" in Washington D.C.  One of the featured speakers, Dick Gregory, told us that if Democracy was so wonderful, we didn't have to force it onto other nations.  They would steal it from us.  The memory lingers.  

:mellow:

The joys of getting older.  To me, this is only history.  Not ancient history.  

:sigh2:

Dick Gregory had many profound bits in his humor. His recent passing only highlights our lack of comedians of his caliber, political or otherwise. We still have some, sure, but they aren't as bright in the spotlight as he was in his day, as evidenced by my remembering him even though I was very young.

In the spirit of this thread, I hope he does have a soul that can somehow continue to contribute insight as channeled through another comedian, maybe. (Or Robin Williams. My funny bone misses its fix, you could say.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Key said:

Dick Gregory had many profound bits in his humor. His recent passing only highlights our lack of comedians of his caliber, political or otherwise. We still have some, sure, but they aren't as bright in the spotlight as he was in his day, as evidenced by my remembering him even though I was very young.

In the spirit of this thread, I hope he does have a soul that can somehow continue to contribute insight as channeled through another comedian, maybe. (Or Robin Williams. My funny bone misses its fix, you could say.)

Hate to be off-topic, but I always thought George Carlin was the greatest comedian. And, on film, Monty Python.

They sure don't make 'em like that anymore...

Just now, sean4554 said:

Hate to be off-topic, but I always thought George Carlin was the greatest comedian. And, on film, Monty Python.

They sure don't make 'em like that anymore...

Both are also quite unique in humor. Loved Carlin's "stuff". And Python was British humor that didn't latch on with us yanks, at first, until the kids started to get it. Ah, we were smart kids then.

Today's society is too PC for such originality to be created anymore.

• Like 2