RevBates

House Church

8 posts in this topic

Ok, so I've been studying the "House Church" model, and what I've found out amazed me. Here in America we can form and/or attend a house church without fear of prosecution but in third world counties like china you have secret house churches. I know House churches are biblical and I just want to see what others think of the model of church.

Some good books have been written of late on " House Church", As someone who is involved in the Independent Catholic Movement we have used the House Church Model widely, I have a home oratory for saying Mass and the Daily Office.  

America has it's good points.  Freedom of -- and from -- religion is great.     :D

I have a small sanctuary (the Moriviví Hermitage) that can hold a very small congregation (5).  It is were I do my meditation and prayers.

Hermano Luis

Anywhere is better than not at all.

For me, house church suggests a level of closeness that is not found in a larger, institutional setting.  Who attends the house church?  People that are welcome in someone's home.

Church is not always the best word.  Sometimes, the group is about meditation or healing or simple fellowship.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Certainly a house church works as effectively as any other form of church. 

Many people have noted a church is not really a building at all. 

Of course there is an obvious pause to note that it is the quality of the group not the quantity of the group that matters. 

It is  a very affordable way to start a spiritual community.  We started on a deck in the back yard and simply kept growing.

Von

We here in the United States are certainly blessed to have the freedom to worship as we wish, I agree that this is probably the best and most economical way to start a small congregation. I travel to west central Illinois frequently which has a population  of house Amish and have spoken  with them often, I like the concept of holding services in a different member's home each Sunday. I believe it would bring the members closer and give all a stake in their church.