I haven't been on the forum for quite some time, too much going on (medical). my niece who lives in ky wants me to marry her in october, i live in indiana, i have checked the law questions and went to the ky site for laws and according to my reading i would have to have a licsence, am i reading this correct and if so, where and what kind of license do i need, does anyone know?

• Administrator

I see nothing in KY law that requires the minister to reside within the state.

(Statutes Last Updated July 22, 2011)

Just read ALL of the KY law so you will know your responsibilities. I wouldn't bother with the county clerk. They cannot give legal advice. However, they can help you with the procedures to follow that will pretty much you do not break the procedural law regarding marriages.

thanks everyone for your help, i believe under the reading of the law even though i am ordained and able to perform the wedding in ky, i still have to get some kind of license, i just don't know what to ask for, it says must be licensed in the state to perform the ceremony.

thanks everyone for your help, i believe under the reading of the law even though i am ordained and able to perform the wedding in ky, i still have to get some kind of license, i just don't know what to ask for, it says must be licensed in the state to perform the ceremony.

Can you cite exactly which part you think is requiring you to be licensed?

I think you all may be right, i read it again and the part i was talking about said (anyone ordained or licensed in ky may perform the ceremony) I thought it meant i had to be licensed in the state of ky, but i now believe i just have to be ordained, which i am, not necessarily in ky. thanks everyone i just wanted to be sure, i don't want to marry her and find out it wasn't legal.

• Amulet locked this topic