Instruments......do You Own Or Play Any?

Cornelius

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh My! So glad I found this section. BrDavid, have you thought of learning harp? Yes, as my handle implies, I do play harp. It is a delightful instrument for bedside ministery, especially Vigils.

My favourite harp is a reproduction Gothic 29-string harp I found for 100-USD. He was abandoned and in very poor condition in a dusty corner of a music shop. Slowly introducing folk gut in place of nylon strings and reconditioning the wood. He has a very sonorous voice and healing music is his forte.

The other harps in the family are brass strung. Tremendous voices for "the Master's Hall" and my accompanying their antics with appropriate stories. Oh yes... The cross-strung harp would be quite cross if I failed to mention her. She is a chromatic drama queen.

Do you Musicians use your instruments as part of your ministries?

Actually the harp is what lead me to ULC. That is another story.

114-B_025-142x71.jpgflauta.jpg

While the end-blown style has its advantages (my favourite being an embouchure suited for whistle accompaniment) the pueblo has been a pretty challenging instrument to play. Bamboo can also be pretty unforgiving, especially in Bb which seems to require insane half/quarter-holing skills to even rasp out a smooth diatonic scale. It's been discouraging at times, so I recently picked up another pair of flutes in D(min/maj). Above, the first is a birch "Kestrel" from High Spirits (Odell Borg), the other is an old Clarke tin whistle. Both have beautiful voices and have been a lot of fun to play. They appealed to my Celtic blood, and since they're pretty compact I figured they'd be better suited for my Appalachian sojourns and the odd sabbat. Just the kick I was looking for to break the funk. I reckon all I need now is a fiddle and a jug of whiskey. And more cowbell.

Speaking of sabbats, I played for more than an hour tonight with a pack of coyotes - a bright and sorrowful lament of the land. The hills were sparkling with their voices. They stop somewhere nearby for a chorus most nights but this was the first time they approached quite near as they sang/warbled/yipped/howled/barked in a great jubilee. It was their longest performance by far, and it was a rather exciting honour to be accepted like that. I named the boldest one "Private Joker" because he has the most ebullient personality, and he knows what makes the grass grow. Yeah, I'd say it's part of my ministry. Blessed Samhain.

1690493_10153828487575237_1002520576_a.j

♫ "Ohh, the wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'..." ~ Journey ♪

Self taught with the guitar since age of 7. Tried taking lessons, but never could keep my interest in class. Therefore, can't read sheet music for the life of me.

Also, played trombone in grade school band. I barely read sheet music then. Cheated by watching other players movements. LOL

I love singing, mostly in private. Been told my voice was good. (By my ex, so excuse me for not believing her.)

I write lyrics whenever the mood strikes.

• 2 weeks later...

HarperBee, part of the reason I play Appalachian dulcimer is because the fewer the strings an instrument has, the easier it is for me to play. ;-) That's why I don't play the hammered dulcimer. That said, I love the sound of the harp and all its descendents.

Also, if I ever use music as part of a hospital ministry, carrying a dulcimer, Autoharp, or strumstick will be a lot easier than dragging a harp in. :-)

Used to play the clarinet back in 5th and 6th grade, ended up dropping out of band due to issues with the teacher. I think I still have the clarinet around here somewhere in one of the closets. Don't even think I remember how to read sheet music since that was over 20 years ago.

I know I would like to learn to play the guitar (acoustic preferably) and maybe the piano/keyboard just to say I can play them.

Used to play the clarinet back in 5th and 6th grade, ended up dropping out of band due to issues with the teacher. I think I still have the clarinet around here somewhere in one of the closets. Don't even think I remember how to read sheet music since that was over 20 years ago.

I know I would like to learn to play the guitar (acoustic preferably) and maybe the piano/keyboard just to say I can play them.

In the words of SRV to another budding guitarist, "Just play, son!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I was a professional violin player. I played salsa in Latin American dance orchestra. I also played in Chamber Music Orchestra in Puerto Rico. Right now I have retired from music. Limit myself to listening.

Hermano Luis

• Amulet locked and unpinned this topic