Change Of Date...

dbierlywilliams

What if you perform the ceremony on the 9th when you ask the couple for their "I do's" they then write down their answers and place them in sealed envelopes which you hold onto until the 12th and then you officially pronounce them man and wife through e-mail or skype on the 12th.

Edited by Fawzo

What if you perform the ceremony on the 9th when you ask the couple for their "I do's" they then write down their answers and place them in sealed envelopes which you hold onto until the 12th and then you officially pronounce them man and wife through e-mail or skype on the 12th.

I don't think that would work at it could be considered a 'proxy' wedding and that is not legal in most states.

Your safest bet would be to do a 'commitment' ceremony on the 9th and then do a short legal ceremony (in person with witnesses, if your state requires witnesses) on the 12th.

I have to agree, changing the date to a different date then the ceremony was preformed in most cases would cause the state/issuing body for the license to view it as invalidated, and you may end up with legal problems for "falsifying" official records. In fact (at least here in Michigan) when the Bride and Groom apply for the Marriage License, they have to include the date of the wedding on the application.

I'm from Pennsylvania. On our legal marriage licenses, as it is considered a legal document, there can not be any mistakes or corrections. No white out or erasing or crossing out. I only say this to point out how serious they take licenses here. But I did have a similar situation in 2006. I had a young couple that were in the military and wanted to get married while on leave. But their leave did not coincide with the choosen date (their leave had to be change at almost the last minute) This meant that an early wedding would not include most of the family and the choosen guests. So what we did was to have them get married legally at the magistrate (justice of the peace) and when they could arrange everything for their choosen special date we did the religious ceremony. So they are married legally but are still able to celebrate the date they wanted. As Seeker asks, why? why when the dates are close. Our situation was defined by their military life, and was over a period of three months.

I got a bit curious about this issue and found none of our 50 states allow anything but the actual date of the marriage ceremony officiated to be altered, changed, mistakes etc as Rev Jack P. pointed out. There are even some obscure references to having certificate notarized, but not enough so to worry about. This is why the best place to find out all criteria for marriages a ULC officiant performs is the County Clerks office where you file the certificate.

On a side note, this also brings up the technical differences between the Marriage and a Wedding Ceremony or Observance (Labels may vary by locale).

There are any number of reasons a couple may have difficulty having the day they legally marry coincide with the celebratory wedding procession.

In this case the officiant, Justice of the Peace etc. would document the actual day they performed the legal marriage and submit all necessary forms to the County Clerk. Then as schedules permit a wedding ceremony can take place. Only a few words need to be replaced of the marriage contract* to be deemed a "proper" wedding ceremony.

Blessings of Peace,

*A quick example I found at the library defining the varied words between the two types of ceremonies:

"We are gathered to celebrate the marriage of Joe Smith and Jane Jones.... instead of to join/Holy Matrimony/wed etc

Joe (Jane) You have vowed to be faithful, honor and obey...do you reassert this promise to each other?....instead of do you vow

I hereby present to you Mr. & Mrs. Joe Smith..." instead of for the first time or give you

I am pretty darn confident that any manner of removing the "first act of marriage" from the 2nd wedding ceremony would duly indicate proper verbiage for the distinction between the two ceremonies.

Here is also the definition between the two terms: http://www.diffen.com/difference/Marriage_vs_Wedding