How Does The Ulc Headquarters Service Format Work.?

Hi all, I've always wanted to know how well the headquarters' worship service works. By this I am referring to what its website describes:

" Join us every Sunday for church services at 10am.

Our in-house Reverend, Andre Hensley,

speaks and then offers the pulpit to anyone who is interested. We believe in an open forum so if youre in the area, please stop by and join us!"

Do people actually take him up on the open pulpit? If they do, how long do they speak? Do folks sign up in advance? Do folks in the pews listen quietly or do they ask questions or provide color commentary. I tried seeing if any services made it to YouTube but no luck. The reason I ask is because, other than providing wedding services, I'd like to be able to offer weekly meetings but, since I'm pretty private with my worship and generally only do so with my family, and since my theological positions are so erratic that I'm not sure I could offer a congregation the kind of stable spiritual leadership they probably need, I'd like to at least offer a place where people can come share their ideas with each other. I figure a box of donuts, some chairs, and a podium, would make for a pretty cool Sunday experience.

I drove by this past Sunday and the doors were open and looked like they were singing....however, I have actually attended a service, like 5 or 6 years ago just before we moved to Atwater from Modesto. Had I been a bit more prepared, I would have enjoyed giving a short "sermon".

Actually whether a stated sermon or just a spiritual topic of question or importance to anyone there, the floor is pretty much open to all as far as I could tell. That particular Sunday I attended, Andre was sick and a gal was filling in for him...I do not recall her name but I think she worked in the office as she made reference to the influx in ordinations and other church business.

When I've spoken with Andre on the phone he's said he's more than accepting of any ULC Reverend, Minister, Brother, Doctorates....any title...giving the weekly sermon, based on Scripture or with a little advance notice, pretty much any topic of special need. It pretty much follows the same format the Universalists Congregation I use to attend up in Humboldt followed... where all are welcome to voice their praise of "God" et al, or a specific message of enlightenment or simple message Spiritual import.

It is always on my mind to make the drive, only 35 miles from my front door, to the ULC church on 3rd Street in Modesto, and have a go at a sermon beyond the short "talks" we have with my congregants on the infrequent occasions we gather...which unfortunately has been rare this past year or so.

Anyway, anyone that may ever be in Modesto on any given Sunday, I am certain that Andre would be happy to oblige any guest speaker.

Blessings of Peace,

I drove by this past Sunday and the doors were open and looked like they were singing....however, I have actually attended a service, like 5 or 6 years ago just before we moved to Atwater from Modesto. Had I been a bit more prepared, I would have enjoyed giving a short "sermon".

Actually whether a stated sermon or just a spiritual topic of question or importance to anyone there, the floor is pretty much open to all as far as I could tell. That particular Sunday I attended, Andre was sick and a gal was filling in for him...I do not recall her name but I think she worked in the office as she made reference to the influx in ordinations and other church business.

When I've spoken with Andre on the phone he's said he's more than accepting of any ULC Reverend, Minister, Brother, Doctorates....any title...giving the weekly sermon, based on Scripture or with a little advance notice, pretty much any topic of special need. It pretty much follows the same format the Universalists Congregation I use to attend up in Humboldt followed... where all are welcome to voice their praise of "God" et al, or a specific message of enlightenment or simple message Spiritual import.

It is always on my mind to make the drive, only 35 miles from my front door, to the ULC church on 3rd Street in Modesto, and have a go at a sermon beyond the short "talks" we have with my congregants on the infrequent occasions we gather...which unfortunately has been rare this past year or so.

Anyway, anyone that may ever be in Modesto on any given Sunday, I am certain that Andre would be happy to oblige any guest speaker.

Blessings of Peace,

let me know when you do :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Amulet locked this topic