Performing A Marriage In Seatle - Some ?'s

ultimateauthority

Greetings folks -

I will be performing my first marriage (as a ULC minister) in mid April in Seattle, and I was wondering if King County requires any kind of pre-certification procedure, prior to actually performing the marriage.

Also, other than my ULC certificate, saying that I have been granted the title of "Universal Philosopher of Absolute Reality", is there anything else I need from the Church to certify that I am actually Ordained?

Thanks -

Edited by ultimateauthority

• Administrator

Greetings folks -

I will be performing my first marriage (as a ULC minister) in mid April in Seattle, and I was wondering if King County requires any kind of pre-certification procedure, prior to actually performing the marriage.

Also, other than my ULC certificate, saying that I have been granted the title of "Universal Philosopher of Absolute Reality", is there anything else I need from the Church to certify that I am actually Ordained?

Thanks -

READ and UNDERSTAND the Washington State Law regarding marriages. There are a few things you need to do and understand. Then visit a county auditor where the marriage will be performed to introduce yourself and inquire as to procedures. Don't expect them to advise you as to the law as it applies to you. They only know the law as it apples to them.

I see no requirement for registration. But, we do have a couple of Washington members here that can give you first hand info.

Sounds like the topic is covered

Blessings be and good luck on your first Ultimate!

Using the link to Washington State legislature's website that Md kindly supplied,, and quoting some relevant paragraphs:

Who may solemnize.

The following named officers and persons, active or retired, are hereby authorized to solemnize marriages, to wit: Justices of the supreme court, judges of the court of appeals, judges of the superior courts, supreme court commissioners, court of appeals commissioners, superior court commissioners, any regularly licensed or ordained minister or any priest of any church or religious denomination, and judges of courts of limited jurisdiction as defined in RCW 3.02.010.

Form of solemnization.

In the solemnization of marriage no particular form is required, except that the parties thereto shall assent or declare in the presence of the minister, priest, or judicial officer solemnizing the same, and in the presence of at least two attending witnesses, that they take each other to be husband and wife.

RCW 26.04.140

Marriage license.

Before any persons can be joined in marriage, they shall procure a license from a county auditor, as provided in RCW 26.04.150 through 26.04.190.

Edited by Carl Harry Carlson

Wow -

Thanks to Mdtaylor, Sandcastle, RevAl & Carl for your detailed information. I'll be marrying my step-daughter - so these questions were pretty important to me.

An interesting note: My step-daughter faced a rather touchy issue that worked out rather well. Her bio father, who has not been much of a factor in her life for the past 20 years will actually "give her away", but her other dad (me) will actually perform the marriage. So, things are going to work out pretty well.

:king:

• Administrator

Now I will give you the pitfall of doing a ceremony within the family. This comes from a true story...

You perform the ceremony for your step daughter.

After several years something goes wrong with marriage.

Son-in-law claims marriage is null based on your qualifications.

It's defensible, but what a headache... Although it could happen to performing a ceremony to complete strangers it is more likely to happen within families.

Good luck with it all. I hope it all works out well and they have a happy marriage for years to come.

Wow -

Thanks to Mdtaylor, Sandcastle, RevAl & Carl for your detailed information. I'll be marrying my step-daughter - so these questions were pretty important to me.

An interesting note: My step-daughter faced a rather touchy issue that worked out rather well. Her bio father, who has not been much of a factor in her life for the past 20 years will actually "give her away", but her other dad (me) will actually perform the marriage. So, things are going to work out pretty well.

:king:

Cool.

Now I will give you the pitfall of doing a ceremony within the family. This comes from a true story...

You perform the ceremony for your step daughter.

After several years something goes wrong with marriage.

Son-in-law claims marriage is null based on your qualifications.

It's defensible, but what a headache... Although it could happen to performing a ceremony to complete strangers it is more likely to happen within families.

Good luck with it all. I hope it all works out well and they have a happy marriage for years to come.

All the more reason to cross your Ts and dot your I s, Ulti. Do it excellently and properly and enjoy yourself and let the future take care of itself. Best regards.

Edited by Carl Harry Carlson

I did a wedding for my sister/bestfriend . and have not had any issues at all however I told her she couldnt get divorced because then I would have a bad track record(joking) :)

oh here is some other advice In washington state they dont tell you when filling out the license make absolute sure you use BLACK ink only or they will reject and send it back :(:thumbu:

I did a wedding for my sister/bestfriend . and have not had any issues at all however I told her she couldnt get divorced because then I would have a bad track record(joking) :)

oh here is some other advice In washington state they dont tell you when filling out the license make absolute sure you use BLACK ink only or they will reject and send it back :(:thumbu:

Thanks for the tip Santana - don't want any returned documents!

Washington State law:

RCW 26.04.060

Marriage before unauthorized cleric — Effect.

A marriage solemnized before any person professing to be a minister or a priest of any religious denomination in this state or professing to be an authorized officer thereof, is not void, nor shall the validity thereof be in any way affected on account of any want of power or authority in such person, if such marriage be consummated with a belief on the part of the persons so married, or either of them, that they have been lawfully joined in marriage.

hey, so happy for you,ultimate authority :coffee:

(as always, great advice/specifics from the gallery)

I was ordained to perform my daughter's wedding - and it was SO MUCH FUN..who knew, right?

I remember calling the Orange County Clerk's Office and was incredulous to learn that everything

was as it should be...even though the wedding was in California, they were from New York and I was in Pennsylvania..

like you, I think the most amazing part is the part that (we) get/got to play in the celebration;

what a compliment and an honor, and a testament to your role in your daughter's life that she would

grant you such a special place!

I will never forget looking out at our family and friends in that canyon, it was magical..

yours will be too!