We May Bicker, But People Are In Jail

marechols

On death row and incarcerated for almost two years.

Just Horrible!

And the only 'crime' committed (if even true) was blasphemy.

Does it matter to me the woman is a Christian? No, if she would have been a Jew, Wicca, atheist or whatever belief I would have found it just as horrible.

http://www.suite101....now-ill-a364750

Edited by hyperreal

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think two things have happened here. One is the age old battle between progressiveness into modern translations of ancient texts and secondly what happens when "Rumor Control" gets a hold of an issue. Having such a public protest, especially of/from people who were not in the field or even know the woman just shows bigotry based on rumor and innuendo.

It only causes me to wonder how many others are in jails around the world for similar actions/beliefs.

I pray the best for her and her family.

Blessings of Peace,

• 9 months later...

Thanks for bringing this incident to our attention, hyper.

The world has a long way to go where religious tolerance is concerned.

When I was in grade school, the good nuns taught us that there have been

more people murdered "in the name of God', than for any other motivation.

Still true today, it seems.

There are insanities being tolerated all over the place. I tell people: Currently one in every 33 people you encounter is bipolar. I guess because I was raised by one I have a tendency to more fully understand the impact of that statement. Bipolar people are pathological liars. Bipolar people will go out of thier way to manipulate the situation to fit their reality, including murder. Bipolar people, when angered, have the strength of 4-6 grown men. People who are in ignorance of the powers of persuasion that bipolar people have tend to go along with them, until they realize, "This is nuts!" Bipolar people use fear and intimidation, and if they are in a position of power, they have people do their diry work for them. Which is why I had to include my dad and youngest brother in the protective order I had to obtain against my mother. In and of themselves, they were harmless, but she could make them do her bidding because they would not reason for themselves, and they didn't dare cross her for fear of the consequences.

And that is just part of the reason why prejudice is getting worse instead of better in this supposedly enlightened age...

Have a blessed day!

One does not have to be insane to be intolerant of other's religions. Intolerance of the differences in others (physical, mental and intellectual) is a natural human condition. It is simple and easy to be intolerant. It takes dedication and a lot of work to over come it.

One in 33 may be bipolar but 1 in 4 children born in the 70's were likely to have one mental illness or another. I had four small children at the time I read those findings and just when I had thought my family had beaten the odds, one of mine had been diagnosed with bipolar and several other unspecified diagnosis. Happens to the best and the worst of us. It is a shame we cannot be something better than human.

Thanks for bringing this incident to our attention, hyper.

The world has a long way to go where religious tolerance is concerned.

When I was in grade school, the good nuns taught us that there have been

more people murdered "in the name of God', than for any other motivation.

Still true today, it seems.

You are welcome!

I think we cannot do enough to spread the word about those who are persecuted because of their religion.

Edited by hyperreal

From the article; "We are ready to sacrifice our life for the Prophet Muhammad,” protesters chanted, according to The Associated Press."I don't have a problem with that, but it seems the sacrifice they really want is that of the Pakistani Christian woman for alleged blasphemy. Imagine the outcry if Christian protestors were screaming for the death of a Muslim woman for blasphemy against Christ.

It seems that people aren't persecuted because of their religion, but rather persecuted by religion itself.

Imagine the outcry if Christian protestors were screaming for the death of a Muslim woman for blasphemy against Christ.

To me the outcry would be exactly the same.

Furthermore as there is in Christianity and Judaism no specific law against blasphemy against Christ there is one against God in Leviticus 24:16.

To me the outcry would be exactly the same.

Furthermore as there is in Christianity and Judaism no specific law against blasphemy against Christ there is one against God in Leviticus 24:16.

I suspect the outcry would be far greater if Christians were screaming for the death of a Muslim for not sharing their belief? Its a shame that these radical religious types don't have a sense of humor. Blasphemy in Christianity is a sin generally attributed to believers, not nonbelievers.

I suspect the outcry would be far greater if Christians were screaming for the death of a Muslim for not sharing their belief?

Well I certainly do not see it as a race, what matters to me is not if Muslims are worse than Christians or Hindus are better than Wiccans etc but I care for the woman regardless if she is accused by Muslims, Christians or any other religion.

I hope you think this topic is about informing others about the condition of the incarcerated woman not about bashing Islam.

I hope you think this topic is about informing others about the condition of the incarcerated woman not about bashing Islam.

I am concerned for Asia Bibi, which is why I don't pretend to support those who want to kill her. By law, she was sentenced to death for blasphemy against Muhammad, and that is something I don't mind bashing.

• 3 months later...
  • Amulet locked this topic