Fundamental Of The Assemblies Of God

Coolhand

For those that are not familiar with the Assemblies of God, and are not sure what a person believes that claims to be and Assemblies of God (AG) church member, these are the 16 foundational truths of the AG.

Our 16 Fundamental Truths

1.WE BELIEVE...The Scriptures are Inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.

2.WE BELIEVE...There is only One True Godrevealed in three persons...Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (commonly known as the Trinity).

3.WE BELIEVE...In the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. As God's son Jesus was both human and divine.

4.WE BELIEVE...though originally good, Man Willingly Fell to Sinushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world.

5.WE BELIEVE...Every Person Can Have Restored Fellowship with God Through 'Salvation' (trusting Christ, through faith and repentance, to be our personal Savior). [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the AG]

6.WE BELIEVE...and practice two ordinances(1) Water Baptism by Immersion after repenting of one's sins and receiving Christ's gift of salvation, and (2) Holy Communion (the Lord's Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ's suffering and death for our salvation.

7.WE BELIEVE...the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a Special Experience Following Salvation that empowers believers for witnessing and effective service, just as it did in New Testament times. [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the AG]

8.WE BELIEVE... The Initial Physical Evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is Speaking in Tongues, as experienced on the Day of Pentecost and referenced throughout Acts and the Epistles.

9.WE BELIEVE...Sanctification Initially Occurs at Salvation and is not only a declaration that a believer is holy, but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christlike.

10.WE BELIEVE...The Church has a Mission to seek and save all who are lost in sin. We believe 'the Church' is the Body of Christ and consists of the people who, throughout time, have accepted God's offer of redemption (regardless of religious denomination) through the sacrificial death of His son Jesus Christ.

11.WE BELIEVE...A Divinely Called and Scripturally Ordained Leadership Ministry Serves the Church. The Bible teaches that each of us under leadership must commit ourselves to reach others for Christ, to worship Him with other believers, to build up or edify the body of believersthe Church and to Meet human need with ministries of love and compassion.

12.WE BELIEVE...Divine Healing of the Sick is a Privilege for Christians Today and is provided for in Christ's atonement (His sacrificial death on the cross for our sins). [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the AG]

13.WE BELIEVE...in The Blessed HopeWhen Jesus Raptures His Church Prior to His Return to Earth (the second coming). At this future moment in time all believers who have died will rise from their graves and will meet the Lord in the air, and Christians who are alive will be caught up with them, to be with the Lord forever. [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the AG]

14.WE BELIEVE...in The Millennial Reign of Christ when Jesus returns with His saints at His second coming and begins His benevolent rule over earth for 1,000 years. This millennial reign will bring the salvation of national Israel and the establishment of universal peace.

15.WE BELIEVE...A Final Judgment Will Take Place for those who have rejected Christ. They will be judged for their sin and consigned to eternal punishment in a punishing lake of fire.

16.WE BELIEVE...and look forward to the perfect New Heavens and a New Earth that Christ is preparing for all people, of all time, who have accepted Him. We will live and dwell with Him there forever following His millennial reign on Earth. 'And so shall we forever be with the Lord!'

http://ag.org/top/Beliefs/Statement_of_Fundamental_Truths/sft_short.cfm

Of these 16 there are four that are considered "core" or "cardinal" doctrines: salvation (#5), baptism in the Holy Spirit (#7), divine healing (#12), and the return of Christ (#13).

God bless.

Edited by Coolhand

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow thats a lot to believe on such very little evidence based on the writings of a few Bronze Age men, who have been shown to be falible on other topics.

What now is there Fundamental belief about the Age of the Universe.?

Edited by Fawzo

Wow thats a lot to believe on such very little evidence based on the writings of a few Bronze Age men, who have been shown to be falible on other topics.

What now is there Fundamental belief about the Age of the Universe.?

The age of the universe is not a fundamental issue to the mission and the purpose of the church.

The age of the universe is not a fundamental issue to the mission and the purpose of the church.

But isn't the infalibility of the Bible a very critical point for the foundation of all those beliefs?

There is no evidence whatsoever that the Bible is infalible, why do a large number of people accept this myth. On the other hand there is a lot of evidence which shows it is a very falible and redacted piece of work.

Both.

In the case of physical healing, how are such healings certified?

What tests do you have to ensure that the healing ascribed to your religious practices has not been caused by some physical factor (such as medication the sick person is under, or expected remissions, or the placebo effect)?

Are sick people ever encouraged to abandon medication prescribed for the conditions they are seeking healing for, or to cease consulting medical practitioners?

After physical healing has taken place, how are relapses regarded?

In the case of physical healing, how are such healings certified?

What tests do you have to ensure that the healing ascribed to your religious practices has not been caused by some physical factor (such as medication the sick person is under, or expected remissions, or the placebo effect)?

Are sick people ever encouraged to abandon medication prescribed for the conditions they are seeking healing for, or to cease consulting medical practitioners?

After physical healing has taken place, how are relapses regarded?

Here is a resource that we use to help answer questions about healing:

http://ag.org/ivalue/healing/

To answer your questions:

As far as certification goes, there really is no specific certification procedure. I like the way you think, and I wish more people would acutally have doctors write out that there has been a notable miracle, but many will not. You are looking for medical or scientific documentation that can be reviewed and disputed as a way of determining whether there is fraud or if an actual healing has taken place. Other than the obvious signs and whatever doctors notes may exist that is all that I am aware of.

The test is observation and the individual's testimony. Of course, pastors are not doctors nor do they claim to be. But when someone is no longer limping, or is able to go back to work after being disabled, or thier doctor has taken them off of medication, or a cancer or Hep C goes into remission and stays there following prayer for the individual, that is usually acknowledged as a divine healing. Keep in mind we are talking about a church not a labratory. The focus is worshipping God, not properly observing quantitiative and qualitatitve research methodology.

The official position papers from the AG are against people being told to abandon medical care and just relying on prayer; but to use both. The medical practioners are seen as people that God has raised up and given wisdom in the field and are seen as valuable. There are AG pastors that are also doctors as well. We encourage people to seek medical attention and to seek the Lord both for thier healing. Many doctors will tell you that they have good drigs they can prescribe, and that they can cut things out of people, but the actual healing is 'done by others.' Meaning, thay can to the exact same procedure on four different people and have four different results. The assumption that the doctors and the medical profession heals anyone is erronous. Same procedure, one heals in recoed time, one dies on the table. Prayer inconjunction with the medical profession is the ideal situation. God does not need the doctors to heal, but he does use them as a way to minster to them as well. Either way, we still give God the glory for the healing.

Relapses happen, and they happen for various reasons. Many view it as the relapsing persons' faith being weak, which I think is a mistake. Staying healed is like staying healthy; it is not a passive endeavor. The Scriptures can help train us to avoid attitudes and behaviours that contribute to relapses and bad health spiritually, mentally, and physically.

But isn't the infalibility of the Bible a very critical point for the foundation of all those beliefs?

There is no evidence whatsoever that the Bible is infalible, why do a large number of people accept this myth. On the other hand there is a lot of evidence which shows it is a very falible and redacted piece of work.

Here again, your bias is killing you. What you are calling a 'myth' is working daily for us. The infallablility of the Bible is proven through its application in the lives of those that use the scritpures to live by. Unfortunalty Fawzo, your approach to infallability of the Bible is irrelevant to someone to whom the Bible and its teaching are making in a difference in their life.

I'm sure this is quite a mystery to you.

A suggestion I could make for you guys is to go and check it out for yourself; I don't mean that as a cop out, I will answer any question you have that I can, but seeing for yourself is the real deal. Here is the UK locator site:

http://www.aog.org.uk/

This is the worldwide locator:

http://ag.org/top/church_directory/index.cfm

Here again, your bias is killing you. What you are calling a 'myth' is working daily for us. The infallablility of the Bible is proven through its application in the lives of those that use the scritpures to live by. Unfortunalty Fawzo, your approach to infallability of the Bible is irrelevant to someone to whom the Bible and its teaching are making in a difference in their life.

I do not feel I can agree with you there Cool.

I am not saying that a person cannot experience God by believing in the Bible as inerrant, but I do believe it often comes down to a hearding instinct. Shall we say a safety in numbers and a fear of making ones own path. I mean how many would arrive at what they believe without a fundamentalist church pushing it at them and how many would feel free to stand up in that church and say they disagree with something.

Remember I once sat on your side of the fence and found the experience very painful when I challenged something. Now, I think they just did me a great favour. Maybe Fawzo and myself can ask you if you can understand what it is to have faith and be outside fundamentalist principles, and still feel loved by God?

The same arguement can be made for every other religious text and its adherents, no mystery whatsoever. The infallabiliy of the Tao Te Ching, Koran, Upanishads, Dharmapada et etc etc is proven as well through their application in the lives of those who adopt their teachings as well.

Maybe Fawzo and myself can ask you if you can understand what it is to have faith and be outside fundamentalist principles, and still feel loved by God?

If it works for you Pete it works for you. I am happy for you and I pray that God will continue to richly bless you. However that approach did not work for me and it does not work for many other people.

Are you ok with me sharing about what works for me, Pete?

The same arguement can be made for every other religious text and its adherents, no mystery whatsoever. The infallabiliy of the Tao Te Ching, Koran, Upanishads, Dharmapada et etc etc is proven as well through their application in the lives of those who adopt their teachings as well.

I agree.

Is it ok with you if I share what is working for me, Fawzo?

If it works for you Pete it works for you. I am happy for you and I pray that God will continue to richly bless you. However that approach did not work for me and it does not work for many other people.

Are you ok with me sharing about what works for me, Pete?

I do not feel isolated by the experience of being different to fundamentalism and I would not say your not fully Christian just because a person is fundamentalist. I wonder if you can recognise me and others as fully Christian too (without qualification from that fundamentalism)?

Edited by Pete

I do not feel isolated by the experience of being different to fundamentalism and I would not say your not fully Christian just because a person is fundamentalist. I wonder if you can recognise me and others as fully Christian too (without qualification from that fundamentalism)?

Absolutely Pete.

Is it ok with you if I share what is working for me, Fawzo?

I'm perfectly cool with you sharing, that is what this forum is all about.

You are in your comfort zone and I wouldn't expect you or anyone else to move beyond their comfort zone unless it no longer worked effectively for them.

You shared with us the Fundamental beliefs of AOG churches and I was making the observation that those beliefs aren't built on a foundation any more solid or valid than many other belief systems.

Can you agree with my last statement?

I'm perfectly cool with you sharing, that is what this forum is all about.

You are in your comfort zone and I wouldn't expect you or anyone else to move beyond their comfort zone unless it no longer worked effectively for them.

You shared with us the Fundamental beliefs of AOG churches and I was making the observation that those beliefs aren't built on a foundation any more solid or valid than many other belief systems.

Can you agree with my last statement?

I can agree that that is how you see it.

People gravitate to religions that speak to them. People find value in different relgious texts, and God speaks to people in ways that they understand. You need to determine for yourself whether a religion is solid in its foundation or valid.

If I agreed with your last statement I would be denying that there are any uniqueness or speciality to the brand of Christianity that I find to be both unique and special. If it was no different than every other then there would be no reason in sharing about it.

I can agree that that is how you see it.

People gravitate to religions that speak to them. People find value in different relgious texts, and God speaks to people in ways that they understand. You need to determine for yourself whether a religion is solid in its foundation or valid.

If I agreed with your last statement I would be denying that there are any uniqueness or speciality to the brand of Christianity that I find to be both unique and special. If it was no different than every other then there would be no reason in sharing about it.

The question wasn't whether your belief system was unique or different from others, for it is evident that there are major differences and I would be so bold as to say each individual has their own unique set of beliefs within the sphere of influence they prefer to worship in.

The question was do you feel there are other belief systems as valid as your own?

Yes people gravitate towards and away from various beliefs depending on what resonates with them. In the other thread we saw numbers where a large percentage of AOG members gravitate away from the church by age 22 and even more by the age of 30.

Would you think this is a problem with God's ability to communicate with so many people or people not resonating with what you perceive to be the truth?

Shouldn't the Truth attract more people than it repels? Some might feel this speaks volumes about the ego or Satan's ability to deceive and not a devaluation of the lure of the truth.

I do appreciate you sharing and answering my questions, I do feel it is an honorable testimony of your Faith!

The question was do you feel there are other belief systems as valid as your own?

I have been trying to get people of these other belief system to compare and contrast issues from these beleif systems but havent had any luck. All I seem to get is people telling me that theirs is as valid and mine isn't as valid as I claim. There is validity to these other systems, are they as valid it what you are asking. I would like to suspend that answer pending some compare and contrast discourse. I already have two topics started asking for this in Universal Spirituality. Let's discuss there.

Yes people gravitate towards and away from various beliefs depending on what resonates with them. In the other thread we saw numbers where a large percentage of AOG members gravitate away from the church by age 22 and even more by the age of 30.

That was talking about Christianity in general, not the AG specifically. One of the things that has drawn me back to the AG is the focus shift and the culturally relavant programs.

Would you think this is a problem with God's ability to communicate with so many people or people not resonating with what you perceive to be the truth?

Shouldn't the Truth attract more people than it repels? Some might feel this speaks volumes about the ego or Satan's ability to deceive and not a devaluation of the lure of the truth.

I think is have more to do with an effeective generation of social engineering. The "I Gen" link laid that out pretty cleary.

The question wasn't whether your belief system was unique or different from others, for it is evident that there are major differences and I would be so bold as to say each individual has their own unique set of beliefs within the sphere of influence they prefer to worship in.

I do appreciate you sharing and answering my questions, I do feel it is an honorable testimony of your Faith!

That was a question I was attempting to ask earlier. I can see that some are brought to God via the Bible and some I believe by other things and writings but I feel that the main thing that is important to me is not the scripture they read but the affect it has upon the persons life and their experience of that of God. I have no problem feeling I share a common faith with other faiths and Christianity alike, because I feel they are inspired by the same God (which we all have a problem fully defining). I have met many Christians on the street who get almost livid with me because I do not see things as they do and I also have had some pretty nasty experiences from church organisations ( Elim (AOG) being one of them) I used to belong. I just wonder, has there been a change in the AOG's stance or do they feel I have gone astray or something? I ask this because Elim AOG in my experience used to be pretty narrow about how they see other religious groups and what they feel constitutes a Christian.

Edited by Pete

• Amulet locked this topic