The Future of Artificial Intelligence

The future of Artificial Intelligence.

This is a complex and subtle subject.  It should have it's own thread.  At least one.  I would like to begin with a simple thought.  When true general A.I.arrives -- and it is self aware -- I suspect it won't be religious.

Will we even know it, when we see it?

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/15/2021 at 7:13 AM, tuoesg said:

I think Ii is already everywhere, on social networks, in eye of horus slot games and in absolutely everything. 
It is a unique human ability to adapt. Some professions will go away, but others will emerge in their place. Some will not be able to adapt, but on the whole, I think humanity is in no danger. The AI revolution will create more jobs than it destroys.

Perhaps, but how many truck drivers or accountants will qualify to fill them?     

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 7/12/2021 at 8:36 AM, Ferrion said:

This is a complex issue

There are many who seem to be the wise and calming voice of reason.  Who insist that the new tech will create more jobs than it destroys.  The thing is -- how many of these people are themselves looking for a job?

We are rushing head on into an unemployment disaster.  If you wanted a career oriented major in school -- what course of study would you even pick?  Remember.  Jobs that require people to do them -- but not a physical presence -- are going to get outsourced.  Repetitive jobs of all types will be automated.

No matter how we dice it, the future is in a lot of trouble.  The new tech is adapting faster than the work force.  This is what has changed.

On 7/14/2021 at 2:40 AM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

There are many who seem to be the wise and calming voice of reason.  Who insist that the new tech will create more jobs than it destroys.  The thing is -- how many of these people are themselves looking for a job?

We are rushing head on into an unemployment disaster.  If you wanted a career oriented major in school -- what course of study would you even pick?  Remember.  Jobs that require people to do them -- but not a physical presence -- are going to get outsourced.  Repetitive jobs of all types will be automated.

No matter how we dice it, the future is in a lot of trouble.  The new tech is adapting faster than the work force.  This is what has changed.

Or... we start taxing assets/profits more (instead of work) and introduce 'universal basic income' ASAP...

:coffee:

PS. and I am not "looking for a job" myself, nor afraid of being unemployed or without income myself...

1 hour ago, RevBogovac said:

Or... we start taxing assets/profits more (instead of work) and introduce 'universal basic income' ASAP...

:coffee:

PS. and I am not "looking for a job" myself, nor afraid of being unemployed or without income myself...

It's amazing how the tax codes and other laws seem to favor the wealthy.  Almost as though there were a causal relationship.

:sigh2:

The UBI could actually happen.  Capitalism needs customers who can pay for stuff.  The UBI could replace much of the social safety net.  It would cost less and be easier to administer.

Something has to give.  I never thought I would see cashier jobs vanishing.

:umbrella:

• Like 1