From a Skeptic's blog -- a look at the Skeptics in Unitarian Univeralism.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/2019/05/unitarians-are-mostly-skeptics/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=BRSS&utm_campaign=Nonreligious&utm_content=459

I found the article interesting.  I am not a member of the church and I have no axes to grind.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

3 minutes ago, Brother Kaman said:

Buddhist started out without a g/God. Now they come in different denominations.

Tibetan Buddhism is an exception.  I have taken initiation to Medicine Buddha and White Tara.  Still, there is no "worship" as practiced in most Theistic religion.

On 5/14/2019 at 6:23 PM, Brother Kaman said:

Buddhist started out without a g/God. Now they come in different denominations.

In his lifetime, the Buddha insisted that he was not a god.  It is ironic, that Hinduism has claimed Buddha, as an incarnation (avatar) of Vishnu.

7 hours ago, Brother Kaman said:

What one insists upon in life is often overturned by future generations. That is how heros and g/God's are made.

As you say.  What we leave behind is interpreted by the future.  Again, I think the Buddha is a prime example.  How would Buddha feel, if he came back to modern day Burma?  He could witness Buddhist monks, committing violence -- and mass murder -- in the name of his teachings.

In fairness, living religions all undergo change over time.  I can't imagine what the Jews of 2,000 years ago -- the time of the 2nd Temple, would make of modern Orthodox Judaism -- much less the Reform movement.

We can only speculate, what would happen, if the historic Jesus came back -- and found 40,000 flavors of Christianity waiting for him.

(Hi, Dan     :bye:)

There is also the Pagan and Neo-Pagan world.  I doubt the Goddess worshipers of 10,000 years ago, would recognize much.

So yes, things change.  The founders have nothing to say about it.

:whist:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
  • Like 1