Anyone Not Have One

VonNoble

I am SURE there exists an exception to the rule.....

however, it seems any religion I have chanced upon so far has a sacred text if indeed they have a written/codified language at all.

And a good number have oral recordings of wisdom as well.

Since I have not yet bumped into one wherein the diety has actually penned the words (all done human hand) (however allegedly inspired) - I have been wondering....

....has anyone noticed a commonality in the creation of the texts and scriptures?

For example does the development of a sacred text/oral tradition seem to occur in a certain RANGE of time in the development of a religion?

Is there a catalyst that facilitates a need for codification of the story collection?

Is it generational - like the fifth generation or tenth gets stuck with the job of becoming the spiritual historian?

Has anyone noticed a pattern there?

Or a pattern of similarity to the class of folks (or type of folks) that get tagged to actually do the scribing?

Just curious.

Von

I know nearly nothing about the subject, but it seems that the generation that invents writing, or starts to really use it extensively, gets stuck writing the religious texts. Once they find out that they can do more with writing than making grocery lists or tax records, they start writing *about* things, and what better to write about than their beliefs?

I am SURE there exists an exception to the rule.....

however, it seems any religion I have chanced upon so far has a sacred text if indeed they have a written/codified language at all.

And a good number have oral recordings of wisdom as well.

Since I have not yet bumped into one wherein the diety has actually penned the words (all done human hand) (however allegedly inspired) - I have been wondering....

....has anyone noticed a commonality in the creation of the texts and scriptures?

For example does the development of a sacred text/oral tradition seem to occur in a certain RANGE of time in the development of a religion?

>>>yes,if you start with the summerian writings,you can see the commonanility of the old testament and the koran.and then there is the commonality of the new testament(the teachings attributed to jesus espically)and the dhammapada,and some of the vedic writings,all about the same time in history.

Is there a catalyst that facilitates a need for codification of the story collection?

>>>not sure what your asking here.i think if i understand tho,there comes a time where people feel the need to write information down,and then they have to decide which version to write.

Is it generational - like the fifth generation or tenth gets stuck with the job of becoming the spiritual historian?

>>>depends on the group your talking about.for example,the teachings of the buddha were not written down until around 50 bce.the bible as most of us know it is questionable as to dates,but it is certin that it was long after the alleged events occured.

Has anyone noticed a pattern there?

>>yes.

Or a pattern of similarity to the class of folks (or type of folks) that get tagged to actually do the scribing?

>>>while i know little about summerian history,my understanding is that a religion was created for the"slaves"and that those who owned them had their own seperate beliefs.hinduism had seperate classes for a long time,buddhism was all inclusive,and that judism was for the jews only.christianity was created for those of us considered gentiles,with the idea of converting the jews.as far as who got tagged to do all the writing,generally it was left to those who could read and write the language it was passed down in(although there are execptions to that).

i am sure there are people on this board who have more information about this topic than i do.i hope they respond as i am interested in learning more.

Just curious.

Von