Excerpt From My Book

Here is a little selection from my upcoming book, I'm almost done, yay! Please, enjoy.

“The Fable of Wolf and Dog”

In the dawning of time, Wolf and Dog were pack brothers and ran with the Mother Moon in full revel of the Hunt. They both shared the responsibility of keeping balance in the forest. Too many deer meant sickness and death in the herd and starvation for the pack. Taking the sick and weak from the herd sustained the pack and the herd grew strong.

One day, Wolf and Dog were running along the edge of the forest and came across a small village of People. Very smart and industrious were the two legged ones. Having no fur, they covered their naked skin. With no teeth or claws, they constructed first stone than metal blades to replace what was lost.

The delicious smell of Man’s roasting meat lured the two closer. Wolf saw how many men lived together and his fur pricked in worry. He knew the danger of too many pack members. Dog edged closer and closer, tempted by the succulent smells.

“No, Dog! The know nothing of the Pack and will betray you!”

“Nonsense! See? All the humans eat. Perhaps they have enough to share.”

“Come, let us go back to the embrace of the Forest, She has always provided.”

“No, Wolf. I shall stay and make these my pack.” He marched boldly and unafraid to the cook fire. A small boy offered a piece of roasted elk. Dog gingerly took the offered food and sealed the pact of servitude.

For weeks, Wolf stayed on the edges of the village, moaning out his howl of forgiveness and welcome, calling for Dog to return. His calls went unanswered and he caught glimpses of Dog becoming a pack mate of the humans. His worries faded a bit since the Law of the Pack was being upheld. So, he went back to the Forest a little sad.

Dog learned quickly to live among the Humans. He accepted them as Alpha, he forever subservient. He helped hunt and guarded the village from any unwelcome intruders.

One night Rat came to the village looking for an easy dinner. Dog immediately caught the unfamiliar scent, chased it down and corned Rat, shaking with fear, behind the trash bin.

“You’re not allowed here, Rat! Humans don’t like you. I am to kill you if I see you, farewell, Rat!”

As Dog prepared to bite Rat in two, Rat exclaimed, “Wait! If you let me go, I’ll show you where the free food is!”

Dog paused, cocked his head in thought, “Free food?”

“Yes! Yes! It’s free! No one wants it and it’s always there!”

Excited, Dog asked, “Where is this food?”

Rat showed him the trash bin and the easy pickings to be found inside. Delighted and astonished, Dog joined Rat in a sumptuous, if smelly feast.

Laying next to Rat, full and satisfied, Dog realized that this was much easier than receiving scraps for all his hard work, diligence and duty. He then swore to never return to the human’s fire.

“Rat, you are a blessed friend and free to go! Thank you!” Overjoyed, Rat scampered off to find his next meal amongst the houses.

Dog slowly went feral, frightened of all humans. Fear kept him to the shadow of night, slinking to his glorious trash bin.

Rat brought a terrible disease to the village. It killed all that it touched. The villagers that survived the deadly plague, moved away, leaving only empty houses and the burnt walls of the houses of the ill.

Soon the trash bin was empty and Dog’s stomach complained bitterly. “Perhaps my brother Wolf has a few extra scraps.” So Dog left the abandoned village and made his way back to the forest. When he reached the edge of his old home, he was greeted by an angry, snarling Wolf, who barred his way. “Brother, I smell the madness upon you! You have forsaken the ways of the pack. You reek of death and betrayal. You are no longer welcome here! Go now and never return!”

“But Wolf, I am hungry and lonely.”

“Hunt elsewhere then.” Wolf turned his back on Dog and marched into the forest.

Dog slunk away to learn hunting for himself. The hunt was always difficult without pack mates and Dog resorted to theft and scavenging. He ate poorly and his ribs always stood out from his dull, dusty fur.

Many hard years later, a new group of humans moved into and rebuilt the village. The sad and heartbroken Dog caught the scent of cook fires from miles away and ran hopefully to the warmth and companionship waiting for him. As he ran he worried about his betrayal and hoped they would forgive.

When he arrived, none of the humans smelled familiar to him. They knew nothing of Dog’s failure and welcomed him to the fire with a piece of roast deer. Afraid and ashamed he crept forward, took the meat and offered his submissive belly. Once again, he accepted the humans as Alpha. A sad shadow of a glorious hunter, he was shamed into fulfilling his duties.

Never trade what is easy or convenient

for your connection to humanity.

Great stuff, Great Cthulhu!

Will your book contain any tales of the Cthulhu mythos?

Thank you! No, my book is based upon my own spiritual discoveries and the philosophies that I have adopted. The path outlined in the book provides the seeker with a Wiccan based spirituality designed to more fully connect that person with themselves, their family, community and the world. (the Mythos stories come later! I do have a few poems based upon or inspired by the Mythos, all on my writer's blog.)

Thanks for inquiring!

LeRoy James

• 5 weeks later...