I Am Quite Well

A novice monk greeted the Master. “Master, how are you today?” “I am quite well, thank you”, replied the master. “But master, I see you walking with great pain and suffering from what seems to be a bad cold” said the monk. "How can you be well?" The Master said “I am quite well, thank you. It is this old body that is breaking down and sick” replied the Master. "Not I."

The master's point is that we only 'rent' this body of ours for a short time. How can we say it is our body? If it was truly our body, we could keep it from aging, sickness, and eventually dying. Therefore, even when the body is ill, we can be quite healthy if we are diligent about following the path...

A novice monk greeted the Master. “Master, how are you today?” “I am quite well, thank you”, replied the master. “But master, I see you walking with great pain and suffering from what seems to be a bad cold” said the monk. "How can you be well?" The Master said “I am quite well, thank you. It is this old body that is breaking down and sick” replied the Master. "Not I."

The master's point is that we only 'rent' this body of ours for a short time. How can we say it is our body? If it was truly our body, we could keep it from aging, sickness, and eventually dying. Therefore, even when the body is ill, we can be quite healthy if we are diligent about following the path...

This is a thought of the Taoist as well. The body is the physical essence that carries around our inner (spiritual) essence for a while. Our spirit need not be sick just because the body is experiencing the changes of time.

Peace & Love!

• Amulet locked this topic