"Spooky" Science & Reason

Sharing this article:

The Race to Prove Spooky Quantum Connection May Have a Winner

http://www.popsci.com/race-prove-spooky-quantum-connection-may-have-winner

"Einstein called it “spooky.” To his dying day, he refused to believe that nature could be so unreasonable. "

" It’s a shame that Einstein didn’t live long enough to learn about this," says Christoph Simon, a theoretical quantum physicist at the University of Calgary in Alberta, Canada. "The universe is not as reasonable as he wanted it to be."

What do you think about what Science is proving about the nature of Nature?

The modern approach to matters of ontology, religious philosophy and similar subjects often addresses these topics with reason and realism. But where do we go when the very nature of Nature and Reality is proven to challenge the very applicability of human reason and classical realism?

18 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I prefer what Stephen Hawking has to say about the origin of the Universe than Genesis.

I deeply respect Stephen Hawking but I'm vigilant. I definitely hear him out though. He is brilliant. However, he has been proven wrong about many things he's said about the universe. He has been wrong about black holes, and predicted we'd never encounter anything Higgs-like, even the big bang (and all related theory) might be valid math but could still prove unsound crap. He's almost as famous for losing bets as he is for making them. :( He also warns us to be afraid of aliens, and while declaring there is no god; neither presenting his evidence for the existence of aliens (which I don't disagree with but his maths on this were never published that I'm aware of) nor calculates for the premise that in the majority of cases, god(s)=aliens by very definition -_- The god of all Abrahamic religions would most certainly qualify as an extraterrestrial being. :unsure: Or even a more advanced and evolved humanoid from our distant future who went back in time? His view sounds a lot like Genesis and I don't think anyone realizes it, with beginnings and aliens, and of upcoming extinction events, and so on. :blink: Why is he always warning us? Watch out for hostile beings! Escape the planet! :wacko: I love and respect Hawking but it seems his anti-theism is more than mere atheism. It crosses me that he seeks to prove a god is not needed for things to come about, but still thinks in biblical cosmology. And even the notion of a god particle annoys him. The concept, the word, the idea offends him. Would he become irate if he saw a cross hanging on a wall? He's always debating this non-god's non-existence when nobody really is looking for him to do anything but physics. Carl Jung would have interesting things to say about that. I adore Hawking. Seriously seriously seriously. None of this is to discredit him as a contributor to physics and M Theory. But alas, I am vigilant. :(

Edited by SisterSalome

11 hours ago, SisterSalome said:

I deeply respect Stephen Hawking but I'm vigilant. I definitely hear him out though. He is brilliant. However, he has been proven wrong about many things he's said about the universe. He has been wrong about black holes, and predicted we'd never encounter anything Higgs-like, even the big bang (and all related theory) might be valid math but could still prove unsound crap. He's almost as famous for losing bets as he is for making them. :( He also warns us to be afraid of aliens, and while declaring there is no god; neither presenting his evidence for the existence of aliens (which I don't disagree with but his maths on this were never published that I'm aware of) nor calculates for the premise that in the majority of cases, god(s)=aliens by very definition -_- The god of all Abrahamic religions would most certainly qualify as an extraterrestrial being. :unsure: Or even a more advanced and evolved humanoid from our distant future who went back in time? His view sounds a lot like Genesis and I don't think anyone realizes it, with beginnings and aliens, and of upcoming extinction events, and so on. :blink: Why is he always warning us? Watch out for hostile beings! Escape the planet! :wacko: I love and respect Hawking but it seems his anti-theism is more than mere atheism. It crosses me that he seeks to prove a god is not needed for things to come about, but still thinks in biblical cosmology. And even the notion of a god particle annoys him. The concept, the word, the idea offends him. Would he become irate if he saw a cross hanging on a wall? He's always debating this non-god's non-existence when nobody really is looking for him to do anything but physics. Carl Jung would have interesting things to say about that. I adore Hawking. Seriously seriously seriously. None of this is to discredit him as a contributor to physics and M Theory. But alas, I am vigilant. :(

I also think highly of Lawrence Krauss. :D  

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, emalpaiz said:

Science has a lot to tell us.  From the beginning Genesis was only a story.

Not to a literalist Fundamentalist.  Without the Fall from Grace in the Garden of Eden; resulting in Original Sin -- there is no need for redemption or a redeemer.  Fundamentalist Christian theology falls apart.  It is the reason they oppose Evolution.  Their objections are not about scientific rigor.  

Orthodox Jews have a similar problem.  In Orthodox Judaism, everything that happens in the Hebrew Bible -- EVERYTHING -- has a date on the Hebrew calendar.  If one detail is recognized as non-historic; it is like taking a piece out of a balloon.

:whist:

There is one thing about Hinduism.  I love the mythological stories of Hinduism; they are fun, and yes many rituals depend on those myths.  I enjoy taking those myths apart and retelling them in different ways.   For example, the story of the elephant God (Ganesh) I tell it in a different way, because I do not like having Lord Shiva kill the young elephant.  Even when changed the myths continue to have the same value they have had traditionally.  Why can't we enjoy good story telling?  Why must we convert good stories into religious doctrines?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, emalpaiz said:

There is one thing about Hinduism.  I love the mythological stories of Hinduism; they are fun, and yes many rituals depend on those myths.  I enjoy taking those myths apart and retelling them in different ways.   For example, the story of the elephant God (Ganesh) I tell it in a different way, because I do not like having Lord Shiva kill the young elephant.  Even when changed the myths continue to have the same value they have had traditionally.  Why can't we enjoy good story telling?  Why must we convert good stories into religious doctrines?

For my taste, the best mythology stories to tell around a camp fire, are the Norse tales.  Great stuff, with interesting, nuanced characters and good plot twists.  

5 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

For my taste, the best mythology stories to tell around a camp fire, are the Norse tales.  Great stuff, with interesting, nuanced characters and good plot twists.  

I am going to make an effort to study and learn Norse mythology.  I have little or no knowledge of those myths.  (Shame on me!)

Hermano Luis

1 hour ago, emalpaiz said:

I am going to make an effort to study and learn Norse mythology.  I have little or no knowledge of those myths.  (Shame on me!)

Hermano Luis

The good part is you don't have to "study" them.  Just read them for the good fun that they are.  They were told and retold for entertainment.

The Norse gods are interesting.  In one chapter, Loki helps the Frost Giants steal Thor's Hammer.  In the next chapter, Loki helps Thor steal his hammer back from the giants.

In this way, we also learn about Norse social theory, as an incidental.

Thor is a war god.  He is also the thunder god.  Thor is the personification of the chaos of war, and the storm.  He is Chaos.

Loki personifies a different kind of Chaos.  Loki is "mischief maker."  He is not evil.  He is conflict.

Sometimes, the different types of Chaos work together.  Sometimes not.  Father Odin personifies Wisdom.............

These subtleties are available on reflection, on many levels.  Mostly, they are great adventure stories.

:D 

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 5:58 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

The good part is you don't have to "study" them.  Just read them for the good fun that they are.  They were told and retold for entertainment.

The Norse gods are interesting.  In one chapter, Loki helps the Frost Giants steal Thor's Hammer.  In the next chapter, Loki helps Thor steal his hammer back from the giants.

In this way, we also learn about Norse social theory, as an incidental.

Thor is a war god.  He is also the thunder god.  Thor is the personification of the chaos of war, and the storm.  He is Chaos.

Loki personifies a different kind of Chaos.  Loki is "mischief maker."  He is not evil.  He is conflict.

Sometimes, the different types of Chaos work together.  Sometimes not.  Father Odin personifies Wisdom.............

These subtleties are available on reflection, on many levels.  Mostly, they are great adventure stories.

:D 

I will definitely read those stories.  I am sure that I will find some similarities with many of the stories found in Hindu mythologies.  I have found the story of Abraham who had to sacrifice his son in Hindu myths.  An elderly couple had to sacrifice their teenage son to the god of death (Lord Yama), but Lord Shiva rescues the young man,  I have found similarities in different legends of different cultures.   Now that I am getting ready to retire, I am going to read more.  Thanks!

On 6/7/2016 at 1:31 PM, emalpaiz said:

Hermano Luis

What few stories of Norse mythology I've read growing up have been more enjoyable, and somewhat more believable to me than Greek or Roman mythology (of which most are the same as they were borrowed from each other, as far as I'm aware).

On 6/10/2016 at 9:53 AM, Key said:

What few stories of Norse mythology I've read growing up have been more enjoyable, and somewhat more believable to me than Greek or Roman mythology (of which most are the same as they were borrowed from each other, as far as I'm aware).

In the Norse mythology, you might enjoy reading about the tree with the golden apples.  The golden apples that keep the gods "young."

:mellow:

The Three Fates in Norse mythology look a lot like the Three Fates in Greek mythology.  Then again, they both look like the origin of "Lady Luck."

:mellow:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

• 1 year later...
On 6/5/2016 at 0:39 PM, emalpaiz said:

Science has a lot to tell us.  From the beginning Genesis was only a story.

Emalpaiz,

Not only do I agree with your observations.

I was amused as can be with the wording re: Genesis.

Good one.  (not only correct but also cleverly worded)  :clap2:

von