The 95 Theses.

Pete

6. "Theism (the idea that God is ‘out there’ or above and beyond the universe) is false. All things are in God and God is in all things (panentheism)."

Sri Bhagavan Krishna (God) in the Srimad Bhagavad Gita says:

"There is nothing that exists separate from me, Arjuna. The entire universe is suspended from me as my necklace of jewels" (Srimad Bhagavad Guita 7:7).

God is the Supreme Truth, there is nothing beyond God. So I was taught, and so I have continued to believe. When Jesus Christ said, "Our Father in Heaven..." (Matthew 6:9), I believe He was stating this same doctrine: nothing stands above God, God is supreme.

The founding Guru of my spiritual tradition, Sri Shyamacharan Lahiri (1828-1895), said: "God is the God of all." God is not the God of one people, nor is God the God of one particular race, nor of one religion. In my understanding of God, God does not recognize one people over others, or one nation over the other nations; God does not favor one religion over the other religions. Everything exists in God, for everything belongs to God. Paul also expressed this truth in the Christian Testament, "for in him we live and move, in him we exist" (Acts 17:28).

That is why I call God the Ocean of Life. Nothing can exist outside of God. The Gita also tells us that God abides in every sentient being, "I am the True Self in the heart of every creature..." (Srimad Bhagavad Gita 10:20). That is in essence what the doctrine of Panenthism is all about. God is always near us, it matters not if we are saints or sinners.

Nevertheless I have to disagree when in this thesis it is said, "Theism (the idea that God is ‘out there’ or above and beyond the universe) is false." Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa (1836-1886) insisted -- and I agree with Him -- that there are many ways of conceiving God. I personally subscribe to Panentheism, but just because I believe something doesn't make it true. It is my sincere belief that nobody can honestly say, "This is the only way that God can be understood."

Freedom to believe or not believe is at the heart of the ULC spiritual tradition.

Hermano Luis

Moriviví Hermitage

7." Everyone is born a mystic and a lover who experiences the unity of things and all are called to keep this mystic or lover of life alive."

8. "All are called to be prophets which is to interfere with injustice."

I believe that Mysticism -- the belief that God can be known through prayer, meditation, and spiritual exercises -- is at the root of every religion. But I am also aware that most religions are suspicious of mystics. Why? Mystics like Gnostics tend to disregard the authority of church hierarchies; mystics feel that the relationship between the individual and God is a personal one and the church has no right to intervene. I believe that everyone of us should have that freedom to freely search for the love of God in whatever ways we feel it to be correct. We should not be limited or coerced by ecclesiatical authorities. Of course, this is at the heart of the Universal Life Church (ULC).

I believe that we are all called to be prophets, to combat injustice. In the Bible we find the following, "Cease to do evil; learn to do good. Devote yourself to justice" (Isaiah 1:16-17). Lord Buddha said, "Avoid all evil, cultivate the good, purify your mind" (Dhammapada, verse 183). It is mentioned in the Srimad Bhagavad Gita that the mission of the Avatar or Prophet is "to protect the good, destroy evil, and restore Dharma (Righteousness)" (Gita 4:8). It is interesting to note that in these three different spiritual traditions we find a teaching so similar: it is a call to Prophethood. No matter what spiritual tradition we follow, we are all called to be Prophets.

Hermano Luis

Moriviví Hermitage

• Amulet locked this topic