On Homepathic Remedies

Hey Gang,

I recently solicited the help of some of the other members in coming up with this idea of the "Pet Corner". Many thanks goes out to those that helped push this idea into reality...you all know who you are! :coffee:

There are a number of risks distinctive to herbal remedies as most, if not all of these, are not mainstream veterinarian practice. You should talk to your vet about this type of medicating prior to starting any regimen or dosing. There are several great Homeopathic Pet Care books available and it's a good idea to find one that makes sense to you.

Never assume your veterinarian is educated in homeopathic remedies as like people doctors, natural is not taught in medical school. Rather, the pharmaceutical and business end of medicine is the education most doctors and veterinarians get today. Kay and I have finally found a veterinarian that is not the best educated in herbals, but one of her technicians is a Certified Herbalist and gives free consultations. As with any treatment or prescription regimen that you would apply to yourself, educate yourself on options available for your pet. Don't rely on others to know it all as very few do, but there is a lot of great general advice that applies wonderfully to most circumstance.

There is pro's and con's to homeopathic remedies for our pets such as:

PRO:

Herbal remedies are generally easier on your pet's overall biological system.

You can grow many of these yourself at very little cost.

Some, your pet will eat right off the plant.

CON:

A pet owner should be well versed in natural herbs, roots and tinctures before attempting to dose their pet.

Not all veterinarians subscribe to natural remedies and some are downright ignorant about them.

Consistency of potency can vary greatly.

thumbsup%281%29.gif Thanks goes out to those that rendered some feedback while coming up with category for the forum as was mentioned in the opener. I'm not going to post the names of who said what by their own request...I'm sure for legalities and wanting to remain anonymous! :unsure:

A few tips I've gotten as feed back:

"99¢" and "Dollar Store" type places have a great selection of:

*Toys for your pet, usually found in the children toy section

*Plastic/Stainless Steel bowls for food and large "dish pans" for litter boxes

*Plastic shower curtains or table cloths for carpet barriers under litter boxes

*Inexpensive utensils for food serving and even litter box clean up (So you need not use the family heirloom silverware!)

*Cheap 'squirt guns' for training aids (Works great!! No harm to pet or furniture/appliances, but watch the electronics!)

*Many other items that pet specialty stores make a huge profit on due to "pet product" label.

On Herbal Medicines for your Pet:

The same concerns which are valid for people taking herbs are just as, if not more, valid for animals. One has to be careful, as some herbs have a distinctly different effect on our four legged friends. While I agree with you in principal concerning better health treatments, there is the additional danger that pets can not give much feedback.

There is a large variety of sources available - but you will find the same problems as researching human conditions - it is a very complicated process which requires time and experience to know exactly what herbs to offer, how much, how often, and for what length of time. As is my normal practice - I go where the knowledge is concentrated... (GENUINE knowledge - not New Age mumbo-jumbo). The places to start are Ayurvedic sources and Chinese herbal medicine sources.

You will find thousands of years of Chinese experimenting with herbal medicine for their four legged family members... cures which are specifically for cats and dogs and a few for other animals. Ayurveda, on the other hand, is as exacting as Chinese herbal medicine - but they did not apply it to their animals like the Chinese. So, the whole experimenting thing must be begun by the concerned pet owner.

Another concern is that Herbs are much more effective for the individual when grown and harvested within a short distance from their home. Fresh herbs will have a drastically different effect sometimes, as well as the fact, that herbs grown in a soil which is very different from that which surrounds the individual can conceivably have unusual concentrations of nutrients and minerals which are not perfectly suited to the individual. An herbal physician must spend a good deal of time with their patient to observe symptoms and make observations, to have a good chance of offering the most effective medicine. It is likely to dissuade folks from herbal cures by offering too much advice as people will make assumptions and mistakes which will result in less than optimal effects thereby abandoning a very helpful practice.

And remember folks, as with anything, the more you know, the more you'll grow...intellectually, Spiritually and in maturity.

I hope you'll chip in and add to what should be a growing, and ongoing development of this category and topic!

Blessings of Peace,