Rosh Hashanah

It is that time of the year for Jews around the world: Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year of 5770, which begins Friday (tomorrow) at sundown.

In the Jewish calendar, the most sacred time is the 10-day period from Rosh Hashanah to Yom Kippur, which this year falls on Sept. 28. Called "the Days of Awe," it is a time when Jews ask forgiveness for their sins and the sins of their community, from one another and from God.

"When we think of New Year's resolutions in American culture, we have a tendency to think of proactive things we can do for self-improvement," said Rabbi Jack Moline of Agudas Achim Congregation, a conservative synagogue in Alexandria. "Whereas in Rosh Hashanah, the look is not forward -- 'How can I be a better me?' -- but a look back: 'How did I not realize my potential this year, and what do I need to do to correct that shortcoming and make sure that I am better able to fulfill the purpose for which I am in this world?' "

I think there is something in this ritualized "looking back" that could benefit each of us, Jews AND Gentiles.

• Amulet locked this topic