• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Rev_Phil

  • Rank
    New Friend
  • Birthday 03/28/1984

Helpful Information

  • Gender
  • Marital Status
    In A Relationship
  • Location
    South Bend, IN

Contact Methods

  • MSN
  1. Here's more of a suggestion for you: Come up with a Service Agreement/Contract that specifically states that YOU, the Minister, are not to be held liable for a failed marriage because of the couple's choice to utilize your services/official capacity as an ordained minister. Also include any other reasons (outside wedding, etc.), because as others said, "you can be sued for anything". It's what I did, and while I still have yet to perform my first ceremony of any kind, this was something I came up with to protect myself from such matters. I also have it state that a failure to sign the agreement will result in immediate termination of my services.
  2. Thanks again. As I stated above, I'm not sure if I want to be 501c3 off the bat, I might wait and do that later down the road. Of course, that would stay separate from personal dealings. If I do decide to go the route of 501c3, then I will create a non-profit for that explicit purpose. For now, however, it's all strictly business. That may sound greedy and selfish, but I in no way intend to make it such. For three years I've been ordained, and never really considering offering my services until earlier this year, when a friend found out I was ordained and asked me if I would officiate for him and his fiancee. Personally, I had hoped that my first clients would be someone I know so as to make it a little less awkward feeling. I'm sure that goes away in time once I get comfortable enough doing this.
  3. No, I hardly take anything online as legal advice, just something to point me in the right direction. No, I am not employed by or attached to a church. And yes, I'd rather use free services than having to pay a professional money just for a couple of questions. I've thought about maybe somewhere down the road of establishing a church/ministry/related services business, but I am undecided if I would want to go for the 501 C3 status right away. That is to say that I would be starting a business whose sole purpose would be the assistance and officiating of ceremonies before shifting to 501 C3 status. I don't expect to make a lot of money by offering my services. Not being pessimistic, just realistic. Now, for another question or two. As I stated above that I believe in charging for my services, would it be okay for me to come up with a service agreement that states what I am and am not to be held liable for, that final payment/payment in full is due prior to service, and that the client(s) are to be held financially and legally responsible as to the above terms and conditions? The second question then is would I have to get such a document notarized? I apologize for asking questions that may not be able to be answered, but I figure I'm not the only one with such questions. If I haven't, thanked you all yet, well thank you for the responses given so far and thanks in advance to any further responses.
  4. Hello everyone. I have a couple of general questions that I'm not exactly sure on whom to ask. I've already searched the Forums here and haven't quite found the answers. I've also looked at the IRS website, but I couldn't find the answer either, mostly because their jargon is slightly confusing. I've been ordained for a few years now and I've just recently found all sorts of free time to be available to offer services as an ordained minister. So I'm going to ask them here, and if I need to consult a legal professional or tax professional, please let me know. I'm figuring I'm going to have to, but also thought maybe someone here might know the answers. I tend to have very specific questions needing specific answers, and that's just how my life generally is. Since I do believe in charging for my services, do I have to report that on my tax income return? Do I have to get an EIN (taxpayers ID number)?