• Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About TomG

Helpful Information

  • Gender

TomG's Achievements

Registered User

Registered User (1/17)

  1. Wow. Thanks. And do, forgive me, although I have been ordained since 2008, I have never performed a wedding. And, I don't know that I ever will. I just want to be clear on what to do if I am ever asked. Do I check with the county first before telling a couple that I can perform their wedding? Or, if no registration is required, just perform the wedding and risk the county rejecting the ordination and being sued by the couple for ruining the marriage? That would be horrible embarrassing for the couple and myself. I am one that needs to know prior. Or am I making too much of the whole thing in that it is really a very simple process. In the new booklet from ULC "We Are One", it says to call the county clerk and state, "I am a minister of a church in California (don't say ULC, as this will cause the clerk to lock up and maybe question ULC) and I would like to know if there are any requirements for a minister to register with the county to perform marriages." IF the clerk asks whether you have a church here, state that "we have churches in all 50 states". If the clerk asks what religion you are a member of it shouldn't matter because the state doesn't "approve" ones religion over another. I am really just erring on the side of caution. I'd really feel best speaking with some one who has performed a wedding in MS. As a health care practitioner I know how these state offices can be. Some question nothing, others give you grief.
  2. Has anyone had any experience registering with the County Clerk in Mississippi? Particularly Rankin County. Is a letter of good standing needed in Mississippi? I believe the law states one must be "a minister in good standing" but does that necessarily mean that you must prove good standing with a letter from Headquarters. And, what's the best advise for calling the County Clerk and inquiring about such? Should ULC be mentioned or not? Tommy G.
  3. Thanks everyone for your help. I have always wondered how the county would react to a ULC ministers credentials. I would hate to perform a marriage only to find out that I wasn't "qualifed" to perform such marriage. Can you imagine the horror of having to tell the family your credentials weren't valid in your state!!! How dos one go about getting a "letter of good standing" from ULC. Is this what you would take to the county clerks office for verification of ordination or would your pocket ID suffice. Again, I appreciate any help you guys and gals may offer. I guess, as suggested, I should just talk to the county clerk or maybe an ordained minister that has gone through the process--United Methodist, Baptist, Pentecostal or whatever--to see what they had to do once they were ordained by their particular church. Tom
  4. Hey Everyone: I know that at that this particular question comes up all the time, but here it is again. Do I have to register with my county as a minister in order to function in that capacity? Does anyone know about the requirements in Mississippi in particular? What is needed and what do we do to become "recognized" as a ordained in our counties? I know each state is different. Please advise. Tom