Bible Translation

Which version of the Bible do you like most, and why?

I have a number of different translations - both in hardcopy and taken from MacSword online - and I lean towards NIV (hard copy) and Jubilee 2000 (on my laptop) versions. I have copies of the NKJV, but use them for cross-referencing at times.

Which is(are) your favourite(s)?

for the poetic language I prefer the King James version

and Luther's translation in my mothertongue

if I need something close to the "original" texts I'd take the Elberfelder bibel (German) or try to work through the Hebrew and Greek texts - but that is really hard work, because I am not very well with both these languages anymore

I forgot about 'The Way' which is the version my wife uses. What I've read from there I liked. It has a nice 'storybook' flow to it.

Very much so! When I was first learning about Christianity, in high school, I found it invaluable. My family was not religious at all (in fact my mother is anti religious), so I had no real understanding of any religion as a child.

New American Standard,I find it to be the closest to the original Greek and Hebrew,but in my studies I like to use several different translations as well as interlinier with the original language over top of its literal word for word translation and with NAS or NIV to either side.

I have a number of different translations - both in hardcopy and taken from MacSword online - and I lean towards NIV (hard copy) and Jubilee 2000 (on my laptop) versions. I have copies of the NKJV, but use them for cross-referencing at times.

NAB and Duoay-Rhiems

My local church has been using the NIV (New International Version) for about ten years.

I find it relatively painless but there is no such thing as a perfect translation. NIV is better in some passages than the others, but there are a few spots where I still feel there is room for improvement.

Very much so! When I was first learning about Christianity, in high school, I found it invaluable. My family was not religious at all (in fact my mother is anti religious), so I had no real understanding of any religion as a child.

Hmmm, you might want to try The Message translation then. It's even more modern language.

Let's see....for poetry and ease of memorization, I'd say King James.

For study, I LOVE my Harper Collins Study Bible.....

My hubby prefers the NIV, RSV, and Message translations....they're easier to read.

Hmmm, you might want to try The Message translation then. It's even more modern language.

Oh, nowadays I read all sorts of versions. I have the Mormon version (which is King James, I believe) along with their other books... I have a KJV, and a NIV somewhere, and a Catholic version too. And then I have the Way, which I still like from time to time. I also use an online website that has dozens of versions of the Bible, where you can stack all the different trnaslations side by side to see the differences.

There are to many translations , the original meaning has probably got lost from man writing the bible in the revealed religion way, each religion has written his own way of translation<shame>.

revpo

There are to many translations , the original meaning has probably got lost from man writing the bible in the revealed religion way, each religion has written his own way of translation<shame>.

revpo

All the translations agree for the most part,the main thing needed to know the original meaning is the Holy Spirit.No Holy Spirit,your lost.

For my regular daily Bible study, I use a Scofield KJV, I like the references and notes. And when I need more, I use a parallel Bible which actually has 6 versions parallel, so that you can view them all at once.

For understanding, I use Halley's Handbook, as well as a Strong's concordance. These are my fav's.

My spiritual path is ot Bible centered, but I enjoy reading the Bible -- as well as other Sacred Books -- to expand my understanding. I have various translations. My favorite version of The Tanakh (a.k.a. The Old Testament) is one by The Jewish Publication Society (1985). The Christian Testament tha I use has both The Apocrypha and the New Testament. It is an edition from the Revised English Bible (1989, by the Oxford University Press and theCambridge University Press). I also use two Spanish translations which I have found to be very good.

Hermano Luis

Moriviví Hermitage

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a cross section of references!

I'm my MacSword Program I have 23 Bible Versions and 5 Commentaries.

Each has it's benefits and short comings. I will say it's not unusual for me to check the same passage with at least three different versions to see what is really being said. Translations have a way of watering down language, don't they?