Comparative Religion - Any Recommendations?

Mindy

I took a religion class in college that compared different popular religions, but at the time wasn't really interested and didn't retain much of the material. After perusing this board, I'm amazed to see so many different faiths and would love to learn more about them. Wiccan is a new one to me. And someone posted a list of different types of religion, many I have never heard of. (Yes, I've had a somewhat sheltered life - sigh)

Can anyone recommend something they've read that compares the different religions? If I've missed a thread somewhere that already discusses this please refer me. I've poked around but not found anything... It's been awhile since I've enjoyed a good book and think something like this would be very interesting.

Thanks in advance - have an awesome day!

Warm regards,

Mindy

I took a religion class in college that compared different popular religions, but at the time wasn't really interested and didn't retain much of the material. After perusing this board, I'm amazed to see so many different faiths and would love to learn more about them. Wiccan is a new one to me. And someone posted a list of different types of religion, many I have never heard of. (Yes, I've had a somewhat sheltered life - sigh)

Can anyone recommend something they've read that compares the different religions? If I've missed a thread somewhere that already discusses this please refer me. I've poked around but not found anything... It's been awhile since I've enjoyed a good book and think something like this would be very interesting.

Warm regards,

Mindy

Hi Mindy,

The seminary offers a comparative religions master's for $75. I haven't done that yet, but it looks really good. One of the books I've studied so far has been "Religions of the World" by Lewis M. Hopfe and Mark R. Woodward. It's been very helpful for me. I think I got it on Half.com [you should be able to get it there for a little bit of nothing - yep, just checked and they have copies for as low as $1.45].

Hope this was helpful in some way.

Peace & Blessings,

Hi Mindy,

The seminary offers a comparative religions master's for $75. I haven't done that yet, but it looks really good. One of the books I've studied so far has been "Religions of the World" by Lewis M. Hopfe and Mark R. Woodward. It's been very helpful for me. I think I got it on Half.com [you should be able to get it there for a little bit of nothing - yep, just checked and they have copies for as low as $1.45].

Hope this was helpful in some way.

Peace & Blessings,

Hi - :)

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll have to look that one up. I've seen a bunch out there but like to hear from others what they found useful. That class sounds really interesting too. I need to look into what is offered here - I assume you mean this is through ULC?

Hi - :)

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll have to look that one up. I've seen a bunch out there but like to hear from others what they found useful. That class sounds really interesting too. I need to look into what is offered here - I assume you mean this is through ULC?

Yes, the degree is offered through a ULC approved site, known as the Seminary [i checked first to make sure the ULC HQ recognize it]. You can find it here. I have ordered from them, and they are quick and responsive, as is the site here. :D

Peace & Blessings,

Warm regards,

Mindy

The Pagan Christ by Tom Harpur. I found it to be an excellent starting point, and it comes with an extensive list of suggested reading.

• 2 weeks later...
The Pagan Christ by Tom Harpur. I found it to be an excellent starting point, and it comes with an extensive list of suggested reading.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've just joined a book club, so along with these recommendations here and the BC I have a feeling I'm going to be very busy for awhile...

:)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a book I like to use called"Charts of Cults,Sects,and Religious Movements"By H.Wayne House.I would also recommend looking at others holy texts for yourself.If you are firm in your faith but wish to better understand others,studying their beliefs will be helpful in understanding them.What I have found is that very seldom do you find any religious belief system to completely agree within itself,Christians dont always agree with Christians,Buddist dont always agree with Buddist,Muslims dont always agree with Muslims,and the list goes on and on.You will have radicals on both ends of every faith.