Native Americans

And my answers in that thread are as follows:

"If you are the subject of racism, then that becomes the lens through which you filter other situations," said teacher Laury Scandling

"In this matter of racial prejudice we of the Caucasian race are more guilty than any other. Wherever the white man has gone the natives of another color have suffered at his hands. Alaska is no exception. The present generation of native Alaskans is keenly aware of the unjust discrimination and exploitation of his race by unscrupulous white men. Many young Eskimos have been educated in the higher government schools or in the mission schools of the Territory. Many have served creditably in various theaters during the recent war. They have lived with whites of their own age. They have seen the outside world. Theoretical democracy has been a part of their indoctrination. Can they be expected to return to their native villages to resume again a position of dumb acceptance of the white man's word or wish as the law of their village? I think not. These young natives are now fully informed of their rights as American citizens. For the first time in the history of Alaska, the native vote is something which political aspirants must reckon with."

Exerpt from:

Men of the Tundra: Alaska Eskimos at War

by Muktuk Marston

Copyright © 1969, 1972

October House Inc, New York

Chapter 11, paragraph 2

The Alaskan Eskimos in World War II

(Muktuk Marston was white.)

"Many times people respond to the destruction of Native American languages and cultures by pointing out that European languages were also attacked in the United States. How are these circumstances different? If the immigrants gave up their languages and cultures in the United States, at least somewhere those languages and cultures continued in the "old country." For Native American societies THIS is the old country and if the language and culture is wiped out here, it is wiped from the earth. Many Native languages and cultures were so destroyed. A second difference is that European immigrants chose to come to the United States while for Native American Nations the United States came, saw, and occupied much of our lands. There is not point in guilt about this but neither should there be any lies of "manifest destiny." Manifest destiny deserves to be tossed on the dust bin of racism disguised as history."

To thinking differently. ...Paul Ongtooguk

The colorization is mine.

Caucasians tend to forget that they made the laws that decide degrees blood quantum and how it affects the lives of those they are aimed at. Yes these laws are no longer on the books. But the actions and reactions of the citizens of this country still reverberate to these laws. I am 49 years old and I remember the Jim Crow laws that were a major part of life when I was young. Disobeying them could have resulted in death!

Edited by Theresa

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post #27 was another person's opinion

not Blackthorn's. There are many folks

who do believe that the native American's

were not the first American's. There are

many theories out there each have a

valid point. The Arctic Tundra from Russia

to Canada was believed to be where the

nomadic people first traveled from.

qft.

Edited by Blackthorn

Post #27 was an implied post.

Really?

I didn't even say anything. Nor did I use the term illegal immigrant. I merely linked to a previous post in reply to a post that used the term.

I don't see anyone complaining about that post in which it was not only implied but stated that "euros" were illegal immigrants.

Edited by Blackthorn

Then all you're doing is ignoring an undesirable part of your genetic heritage and aligning yourself with another that affords you a position of apparent superiority.

An interesting point of view.

A mind is like a parachute

it works best when its fully

open to all information.

Today we can trace our true

ancestors back using DNA

In 2006 my friend submitted

a DNA saliva swab to Oxford

Ancestors for interpretation.

The genetic signature of the Y-chromosome inherited and from his distant paternal ancestors. Tracing to the "Wodan" clan and are of probable Anglo Saxon or Danish Viking Origin. The chromosome match belongs to a group which is prevalent in southern and eastern Britain, reaching its highest frequency in men from East Anglia.

post #27 was another person's opinion

not Blackthorn's. There are many folks

who do believe that the native American's

were not the first American's. There are

many theories out there each have a

valid point. The Arctic Tundra from Russia

to Canada was believed to be where the

nomadic people first traveled from.

The way I see it by placing the link to what someone else has said and adding nothing more, I see it as an implied post thus making it Blackthorns implied opinion. That is the way I would take it anyway.

The way I see it by placing the link to what someone else has said and adding nothing more, I see it as an implied post thus making it Blackthorns implied opinion. That is the way I would take it anyway.

That's another way of interpreting/translating Blackthorns posting.

• Amulet locked this topic