Religious Literacy

Jason ON

Religious Literacy

Has anyone read this? I think I'll read it after the Quetzelcoatl book I'm still trying to read now.

Do let us know how you like it. I noticed some of the complaints about its factual basis were fairly serious, like this one:

Please don't tell me half of Americans can not name one book of the Gospel. Maybe half can not name all four books but more than half can name one book....

I also find such a claim dubious, so if it's in the book, I would not want to waste my time on it.

Edited by yarvin

Prothero (American Jesus), chair of the religion department at Boston University,
-- from Amazon link.

I'm willing to bet, as the chair of the religion department, the author might have doen his research before writing this book. But that's just me.

Sounds like an interesting book. Let me know if it's any good. As for half of Americans not being able to name one Gospel, that actually wouldn't surprise me....You have to remember, kids were probably asked too. And every year, I overhear kids talking about how they are either Christian or Catholic. And when I was the adult sponsor for an after school Christian club (Sponsor means all I did was sit and supervise....I did NOT teach) I had parents that pulled their kids from the club and chewed me out because according to them, how dare I allow a Catholic girl to be a member of the club because everyone knows they aren't. So trust me...the statistic about 1/2 of Americans not being able to name a gospel would not surprise me.