Jason ON

Anyone seen this yet? I saw it on opening day and it was fantastic! I mean, I got tired of staring at men's abs (and felt a little inadequate -- like I need to do sit-ups), but the cinematography was awesome! The stunts were fantastic and the story was great! Now, if only they could make a good movie about CuChulain or Finn Mac Cumhail. Or, Vercingentorix.

I just got out of the theatre from watching this and I was disappointed. I was hoping they would make it more historically accurate but it felt like LOTR mixed with Gladiator.

I enjoyed the History Channels 2 hour special about the incident more than I enjoyed the movie.

Edit: Im not saying it was a bad movie and I would never discourage someone from seeing it but dont go to see it hoping to see a historical movie because they fight more monsters than they do humans and the fight scenes are entertaining but not accurate.

Edited by Tallmike

I just got out of the theatre from watching this and I was disappointed. I was hoping they would make it more historically accurate but it felt like LOTR mixed with Gladiator.

I enjoyed the History Channels 2 hour special about the incident more than I enjoyed the movie.

Edit: Im not saying it was a bad movie and I would never discourage someone from seeing it but dont go to see it hoping to see a historical movie because they fight more monsters than they do humans and the fight scenes are entertaining but not accurate.

I look forward to seeing this (have postponed it twice) but I know that I will be disappointed. One of the great battles of history, it really doesn't need the fantasy element to make a good story. Wish I had seen teh History channel program, but I got rid of cable a year ago.. maybe it is on net flix?

~ The History channel did a good job!

Went into some of the culture of the Spartans {rough stuff :( }

& that it wasn't just 300 Spartans holding strong,

there were 500? {me with numbers ;) } other Greeks that held the line for the retreat also.

Anyway! 300 is an entertainment. & evidently artistically done in the manner of Sin City.

{Which is a cool movie.}

I don't do theatres, so I'm gonna wait.

From what I've read their objections are largely based on costuming. They seem to feel rags and scantily clad persons isn't an accurate representation of the society at that point.

I alos read that there is a belief in Iran that the movie is propaganda to soften up the American people for war with them...

Anyone seen this yet? I saw it on opening day and it was fantastic! I mean, I got tired of staring at men's abs (and felt a little inadequate -- like I need to do sit-ups), but the cinematography was awesome! The stunts were fantastic and the story was great! Now, if only they could make a good movie about CuChulain or Finn Mac Cumhail. Or, Vercingentorix.

Great movie! Just was a little puzzled by the portrayal of Xerxes.

the movie was the mythical view of the battle, through modern eyes of course, not history in any way. spartan culture was slave based so they didn't save "justice and reason" from anyone. still it was a rousing and fun fantasy.

Rev. Harry

The tale of 300 Spartans defending a mountain pass against 1 million Persians is apocryphal. So is the story of the Trojan Horse, and story of Pheidippides, who ran from Marathon to Athens to announce the miraculous Greek victory against the Persian hordes at the Battle of Marathon only to collapse dead from exhaustion after delivering the news. Any recreation of battles from this time period will be "historically inaccurate" because history did not sufficiently record them. The tales we remember, such as the Battle of Thermopylae, are all fabrications to one degree or another.

The goal of the film was to be true to the comic book, and in that the director succeeded. The genre of the film is Fantasy/Adventure. I don't remember any advertisements that portrayed it as a historical re-enactment; I don't know how you got that impression.

Edited by Izmir Stinger

I read an article that said the director was trying to keep to the graphic novel's story and art and that he had some concerns with giving the queen more of a role, but in the end, it's fairly faithful to the book. Not having read the book, I'm not sure how accurate it is.

There were only four characters in the movie who looked like monsters, and of those only one was involved in a fight.

One thing I wished they'd not left out was the part when Xerxes sent spies the night before battle to see how the Spartans were preparing. The spies returned stating that the Spartans were braiding each other's hair. :rofl: Gotta love the Greek.

Cheers,

GM.

I have yet to see this. Everyone says I need to. I even have the opportunity to see it on IMAX for free. But, the preview I saw just didn't make it seem like it'd be interesting or worthwhile.