Looking For An Opening Wedding Prayer That Won't Upset Jw's In

cw_reifert

I'm going to be officiating a wedding next Friday (March 9th), and 2 members of the bride's family (mother and one sister) are Jehova's Witnesses. Even though I've tried to read what I can find about JW's, I'm hoping a few of you might have an idea of what is okay and what isn't. The following is the Opening Prayer that I plan on using. If any of you have any idea on something I might need to change, please do let me know (I just want to make sure that I won't say anything that will upset one of them).

Beloved God,

we are gathered here,

uniting our hearts as one

in support and celebration of Carissa and Jake

as they enter into the sacred and joyous covenant of marriage.

We ask you to bless the family created by this union

As Carissa’s children Taylor and Colton

and Jake's child Lakin

join with them in the creation of a new family.

We ask that you guide and bless each of them

in loving and honoring one another

and in building and strengthening a family unit

that will be a safe and nurturing haven for them all.

Help them to find the balance and harmony

of their individuality and their shared life.

We ask that your light and grace

be extended to each of them,

that they may know you and welcome you

in their lives each and every day.

Thanks,

Will

P.S. I'm all ready thinking of not starting off the prayer with Beloved God, or starting off with Lord.

Greetings to you my brother,

I have always found that when in doubt, starting out with "Creator God" is usually non offensive enough for everyone.

In Christ's service,

Rev. Calli

Hi

I think starting out with beloved God is a nice way to start off your ceremony. Most people think when you say God you are paying homage to the god they worship, and there fore are not offended.

Good Luck

jba

There are several terms you can use..

Father, Heavenly Father ect..

remember, even Jehovia Witness believe in God and worship him as a power greater than ourselves.

The other suggestion I would offer is to call your local J. W. church itself and ask them directly if anyone can answer that question, they could.

Actually I have found Merciful Jehova as a good opener with JW's. Though Heavenly Father works well.

My basic philosophy is though that you cannot please everyone, in a ceremony there are only two people you need to please, those getting married. If those attending do not understand that then it is their problem. I have offended MANY people in some of the ceremonies that I have done, the problem is not mine it is theirs. Ask the bride and groom what it is THEY want and follow that.

Always remeber though nothing rounds out a wedding like a good brawl. (or maybe that is just the rule for us pagans, especially the asatru)

Ashes

Hi

I think starting out with beloved God is a nice way to start off your ceremony. Most people think when you say God you are paying homage to the god they worship, and there fore are not offended.

Good Luck

jba

I have to agree that "Beloved God" is quite non-offensive to most of major Abrahamic faiths. I believe your opening is quite nice and I would not change it if you are happy with it... :thumbu:

Asalaam Alaikum (Peace Be With You)

I'm sure you have already decided what it is you are going to use. But I agree with Beloved God as an opener. Couldn't hurt.

Asher, I thought it was a Great Right to be the ultimate ending to a Pagan wedding? Brawls work well too.

Flower

Edited by Call me Flower

Actually, the wedding was Friday night and it went very well (even with me being very nervous at the start, and with my knees shaking a bit - lol). I did end up using Heavenly Father, and it went over well with the bride's JW Mother and Sister. If anyone wants me to post the whole ceremony I used (done in about 7 minutes) I can do that as well.

Thanks,

Will

P.S. Trying to post a picture as an attachment. If that doesn't work, I'll save it to my webserver and post an image.

In the pic, the bride is standing with her two children from a previous marriage, and the groom is holding his daughter from his previous marriage as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Just for the grins, I figured I'd post the words I used for the whole ceremony. If anyone ever needs to use part of it (or all), please feel free to edit as you see fit.

Will

GATHERING WORDS

One of the great joys of the wedding day is the joining together of the couple’s families and friends. Carissa and Jake are filled with gratitude to each and every one of you for the loving, caring, friendship and support that you have given them throughout their lives.

Being able to share their wedding day with you, surrounded by your love and support, is a treasured blessing. Knowing that your best wishes go forward with Carissa and Jake strengthens them as they embark upon their journey as husband and wife.

Carissa and Jake have also asked that we take a moment to honor the memory of those loved ones who could only be here today in spirit.

CHILDREN

Today, Carissa and Jake are joined in their vows by their children Taylor, Colton and Lakin.

For you Taylor, Colton and Lakin, something very special is happening today. In this ceremony, you three are sharing in the celebration of the happiness that is present in your family.

You are being given flowers today as tokens of Carissa’s and Jake’s love for you and as a symbol of the unity of your family.

Do you Taylor, Colton and Lakin promise to love, honor and cherish your family,

to always be honest and truthful about who you are, and to honor and respect the truth of each member of this family?

(They answer “Yes”, “I Will” or “I Do”)

OPENING PRAYER

Now, won’t you please join us in prayer:

Heavenly Father,

we are gathered here, uniting our hearts as one in support and celebration of Carissa and Jake as they enter into the sacred and joyous covenant of marriage.

We ask you to bless the family created by this union

As Carissa’s children Taylor and Colton, and Jake’s daughter Lakin,

join with them in the creation of a new family.

We ask that you guide and bless each of them in loving and honoring one another and in building and strengthening a family unit that will be a safe and nurturing haven for them all.

Help them to find the balance and harmony of their individuality and their shared life.

We ask that your light and grace be extended to each of them,

that they may know you and welcome you in their lives each and every day.

Amen.

DECLARATION OF SUPPORT

Carissa and Jake,

today we have come together to celebrate the love you have found with each other.

By being here with you, each of us is declaring our support for your decision to join together in marriage.

(to guests)

As families and friends,

you form the community of support that surrounds both of them. Each of you, by your presence here today, is being called upon to uphold them in honoring and loving each other.

Will you:

Always stand beside them, never between them?

Offer them your love and support, not your judgment?

Encourage them with your kindness and loving hearts, and honor this marriage into which they have come to be joined today?

If you will, please answer with “I will”.

WEDDING VOWS

Do you, Jake, of your own free will and consent, choose Carissa to be your beloved wife, and do you promise to love, honor and cherish her always?

Do you, Carissa, of your own free will and consent, choose Jake to be your beloved husband, and do you promise to love, honor and cherish him always?

RING EXCHANGE

The wedding ring is a circle symbolizing the sun, and the earth, and the universe. It is a symbol of wholeness, perfection and peace.

As you enter into the circle of your shared love,

may you be blessed through your devotion to this union.

May your journey as husband and wife be filled with peace, love and joy.

Jake, do you take Carissa to be your lawfully wedded wife, to love and to cherish from this day forward? (I Do, and place ring on finger)

Carissa, do you take Jake to be your lawfully wedded husband, to love and to cherish from this day forward? (I Do, and place ring on finger)

FINAL BLESSING

May you keep this covenant you have made.

may you bless each other in your marriage,

comforting each other when one needs comfort,

sharing each other’s joys when one needs someone to share it,

and helping each other in all your endeavors throughout your married lives together.

And now, by the power vested in me by the laws of the state of Iowa,

I pronounce you husband and wife

• Amulet locked this topic