Ritual

Cleric John

Well, I couldn't decide where to post this, so I figured Ceremonies was the best place.

I need help. I have a somewhat deep psychotic attraction to rituals. I am looking for certen things... but every ritual I come across (which is not that many actually) seems to be based of Solomon or something to that effect.

I am not Wiccan, nor do I wish to become. However, I do enjoy there rituals. I need guidance in creating my own or modifying an existing ritual. If someone has any information or an outline or whatever. That would be great!

If anyone has any reading material or books they can recommend, I am an avid history ocult reader (current on Three Books of Occult Philosophy by H.C. Aggrippa).

anyone have any suggestions?

feel free to move this thread if you need to..

Thanks,

Cleric JRY

I'm looking for calling up energy (Evocation). Making of sacred places. I'm also looking for additional information as to WHY we use certin tools for certen jobs (I really need to learn how to spell that word... certin). Why, for example, do we use a wand for fire. I think a weapon of some kind (sword, spear, battle axe, mace...) would better suit my needs. I guess I could use whatever I wanted because its MY ritual and the link to the magical energies are my own. I just need to use it for that purpose every time; rite?

Speaking of, should it be ok for Wizards to use the same circles and ritual techniques as wiccan practicees? anyhow... let me know what you have...

thanks,

CJRY

Try Cunningham's Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. I know you're not Wicca (neither am I), but it is useful in creating rituals and has a chapter on symbolism. It's a bit happy-go-lucky, but nonetheless, a very useful book. I'd also suggest Sticks, Stones, Roots & Bones: Hoodoo, Mojo & Conjuring with Herbs by Stephanie Rose Bird. My fiance has a deep interest in hoodoo, and he found it very useful in his Solomon and ancient Judeo/Christian magic rituals.

I'm surprised Agrippa didn't have some useful info on rituals. I'm reading it, too, but I can only read it in pieces.

From the Tao Te Ching Verse 38

Harmony does not care for harmony, and so is naturally attained;

But ritual is intent upon harmony, and so can not attain it.

Harmony neither acts nor reasons;

Love acts, but without reason;

Justice acts to serve reason;

But ritual acts to enforce reason.

When the Way is lost, there remains harmony;

When harmony is lost, there remains love;

When love is lost, there remains justice;

And when justice is lost, there remains ritual.

Ritual is the end of compassion and honesty,

The beginning of confusion;

Belief is a colourful hope or fear,

The beginning of folly.

The sage goes by harmony, not by hope;

He dwells in the fruit, not the flower;

He accepts substance, and ignores abstraction.

Harmony does not care for harmony, and so is naturally attained;

But ritual is intent upon harmony, and so can not attain it.

Harmony neither acts nor reasons;

Love acts, but without reason;

Justice acts to serve reason;

But ritual acts to enforce reason.

When the Way is lost, there remains harmony;

When harmony is lost, there remains love;

When love is lost, there remains justice;

And when justice is lost, there remains ritual.

Ritual is the end of compassion and honesty,

The beginning of confusion;

Belief is a colourful hope or fear,

The beginning of folly.

The sage goes by harmony, not by hope;

He dwells in the fruit, not the flower;

He accepts substance, and ignores abstraction.

This seems to say that ritual is the last thing i need to think about...

?

• 3 weeks later...

There is strong symbolic connection between sharp weapons and fire, if this suits you better than the wand/fire connection. Wands (through their symbolism as bridges and connectors) are as often seen as air as fire. Is your sacred space to be permanent or temporary? In any case what you need is a symbol of sacrifice, for every place of sacrifice is an omphalos-a place from which the universe is nourished. And this needs to actually be the giving up of something that means something to you--pigs blood from the market is not going to do it :lol: . Many people use money these days, they give it to charity and use a coin to represent it. Good luck with your search.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm looking for calling up energy (Evocation). Making of sacred places. I'm also looking for additional information as to WHY we use certin tools for certen jobs (I really need to learn how to spell that word... certin). Why, for example, do we use a wand for fire. I think a weapon of some kind (sword, spear, battle axe, mace...) would better suit my needs. I guess I could use whatever I wanted because its MY ritual and the link to the magical energies are my own. I just need to use it for that purpose every time; rite?

Speaking of, should it be ok for Wizards to use the same circles and ritual techniques as wiccan practicees? anyhow... let me know what you have...

thanks,

CJRY

Star Hawk also has some good books on basic practice of magic. You can use whatever you wish to use in your rituals. I don't always use the same items for all reasons. Depends on what I am calling, or why. There are no hard and fast rules as to wether you use Wizard magic or wiccan. It really all boils down to your individual purpose in what you are casting.

As for sacred space. That can be a simple chair in a corner of the living room. A quiet place in the garden, or a place that you enjoy going to out side. My personal space is at a friend's house. Only because I am not allowed to practice my craft at my home. But to create space is simple. You can use holy water to purify it, or insense. Whatever you wish. place things that have meaning to you in it. an alter or shrine. It is all up to what you like.

Flower

Ah the eternal ritual question, what to use where and why. Book 1 tells you one thing while book 2 tells you another and book 3 tells you that you must spend more money on better items or you offend the gods.

The simple fact of the matter is this. All elements come into mind differently to everyone, as with what tools mean what. The best way to tell what is the best for a certain task to to think on it, meditate, or better yet ASK DEITY!

Though if you need a simple list, I can give you one.

Blade = Fire

Wand = Air

Cup = Water

Cauldron = Earth

At least that is the most common I have run into in all my studies.

The sad thing about most rituals is that the ones who create them love to believe that just because it works for them that it is the best, or even worse, the ONLY way to do it. That is actually the reason I left the coven I founded years ago. Instead of working together to establish better understanding of the Gods and Magick most people spent the time playing politics and arguing about the "best" way to do a certain ritual.

If you are really interested in ritual magick though the best place to start would be your local occult shop. See if there are any hermetics in your area, or followers of Crowley. If anyone does ritualized magicks it is them. Though Gnostics are another good one. Ever watch native americans dance, yet another ritual.

Dianics are also pretty ritualized, but if you lack mestrual blood you may feel a bit left out of a few of the rituals. (Yes, that was a poke to all you dianics out there.)

There are thousands of books out there but nothing give you a feel for it like being there. However, for the love of all that is holy, please stay away from anything by Llewellyn Publishing, with the exception of Scott Cunningham.

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions, I love to help, when I can.

Ashes