Quincinera

Sr.Sue

• Administrator
Her family is from Mexico....then, to confuse matters...she says she's Jehovah's Witness.....so I asked her to check with her mother first. I may end up modifying the service....

now my knowledge of Jehovah's Witnesses is....dim from long past memory use...but if she's Jehovah's witness, wouldn't she not be able to have a party?? I thought they frowned on that...

:lol: That's a definite. Oh well, even if things don't work out, this has definitely been a learning experience!

Well, looking through my book "World Religions made easy", what I'm seeing is that if she follows her religion very closely there won't be a party. The ones that stand out in the book (listed under 'unusual practices'):

1. Blood transfusions are refused

2. The cross should not be used as a symbol

3. They refuse to vote in political elections, salute the flag or sing the Star Spangled Banner

4. They do not celebrate Christmas or birthdays

5. They refuse to serve in the armed forces

Now, my sister-in-law is also a Jehovah's Witness. I can remember celebrating her birthday several times, and last Christmas she accepted a gift card from me and money from my parents. If one of her children needed a blood transfusion to live, I'm betting she'd do it. ;)

How closely do they follow the religion?

Will

The parents might just want to have a religious service recognizing her as an adult. That's basically the idea of the celebration, and the big party is usually after a mass (my only familiarity with Quincineras is through Catholic families). I kinda link it to a Bar Mitzva in Jewish tradition. MAybe you could look at it from that angle.