Discovery Channels

RevRainbow

Consider that all of us could be wrong and we are all part of a virtual computer game on some aliens desktop!

It used to be a brain in a vat and all this is being fed into the brain by some alien.

Thank you, gentlemen (tallmike and the coach), for coming to my defense. I understand that an open forum may contain some closed minds.

Some are so open all the garbage fell out. Just because someone agrees with you does not mean they have an open mind. ;)

• Administrator
That's why I used outside sources, so that no one could claim it was me that was wrong.

I thought you once told us that blindly following.....nevermind.....

Suffice it to say that I do not always believe everything I read on the internet.

To me, evolution is a theory based on a collection of less than all the facts. One fact will never be discovered I imagine. How life began in the first place.

"Some are so open all the garbage fell out. Just because someone agrees with you does not mean they have an open mind" -Dave

I don't think they came to my defense, nor do I consider their minds open, simply because they agree with me. As a matter of fact, I don't think they do agree with my post. I must state that your comment about science not caring about my (or anyone's) God is a misconception. Some of the greatest scientific minds of this age believe in God (I use the term generically), including Stephen Hawking. I stand by my premise that God and Science are not at odds and that belief in God and religion are two different concepts. You see, one can religiously believe in science!

Edited by RevRainbow

I thought you once told us that blindly following.....nevermind.....

I'm not blindly following anything. Is the proper use of a word to be considered "blindly following"? Is correct spelling to be considered "blindly following"? Is driving on the proper side of the street to be considered "blindly following"?

Suffice it to say that I do not always believe everything I read on the internet.
Then get a book, any science book that explains the scientific method will explain how it works and the SCIENTIFIC use of the word "theory".
To me, evolution is a theory based on a collection of less than all the facts. One fact will never be discovered I imagine. How life began in the first place.

As covered here a zillion times; abiogenisis is not part of evolution. Evolution is simply; descent with modification. The proof of that is incontrovertible and within the scientific community there is no "controversy over it. Evolution is a FACT. No matter what you want to believe the FACT that evolution happened, and is happening, will never change.

And if everyone will notice how this has gotten off topic and turned into an attack on non believers? It always works that way and is a good example of what I mentioned earlier; they always attack the non believers instead of the topic. The non believer is always wrong for speaking out.

"Some are so open all the garbage fell out. Just because someone agrees with you does not mean they have an open mind" -Dave

I don't think they came to my defense, nor do I consider their minds open, simply because they agree with me.

You can believe as you wish.
As a matter of fact, I don't think they do agree with my post. I must state that your comment about science not caring about my (or anyone's) God is a misconception. Some of the greatest scientific minds of this age believe in God (I use the term generically)....

The generic use of the word "god" is with a small 'g'.

Apparently you misread, or purposely misunderstood what I said. SCIENCE does not care about gods. Gods are not a part of SCIENCE. Scientists can if they want, and about 60% do.

"And if everyone will notice how this has gotten off topic and turned into an attack on non believers? It always works that way and is a good example of what I mentioned earlier; they always attack the non believers instead of the topic. The non believer is always wrong for speaking out." -Dave

I find it interesting that from my perspective it appears as though you entered the thread by attacking the believer (me)! I do not mind the arguments about science and religion or religion and God; it can be enlightening and stimulating, but I perceived a condescending attitude in your posts whereby I concluded that you deem persons believing in God (or gods) somehow inferior. Believing in God does not make me less intelligent than one who does not believe. I have no problem accepting persons with atheistic belief as individuals. My only problem is with attitudes of superiority.

I did not attack you as a non believer, I merely defended my initial position that you contested which I consider viable. I never indicated a wrongness in your speaking out. I cannot speak for the others in the thread but I have no malice nor consider your comments to be without merit. I only take umbrage at your innuendos such as: "Apparently you misread, or purposely misunderstood what I said."

One cannot scientifically prove the non existance of God any more than one can scientifically prove He does exist. We may both be right or both wrong. Furthermore, neither side will persuade the other to repent of his belief. Therefore, futher discussion is but a moot point and perhaps should be terminated lest the thread deteriorates, as you indicated, into personal attacks on individuals and their beliefs.

There is such a myriad of different core beliefs on this site that we must. as with television, channel surf. If you are not in tune with a certain belief or are offended by another, all we have to do is change channels. Freedom of worship and speech is a guarantee (hopefully) for all of us and must be respected.

If I have offended anyone by my posts, or have misunderstood their intent in response, I do humbly apologise. It is never my intent to offend anyone, but to offer spiritual insight and encouragement to those who believe in God as I do and to present an alternate perspective to those who do not. For that, I do not apologise.

I find it interesting that from my perspective it appears as though you entered the thread by attacking the believer (me)!

It is interesting that believers always claim to be attacked when someone is not silent about their non belief. Their double standard, as seen here, holds that they can defend their beliefs, but when non believers defend themselves from personal attacks, that's wrong.

If you go back and read my first posting in this thread you'll find no attack on you, but was a reply to your argument.

Edited by Dave

Youre posting that question??? Youre joking, right? This from the person that accuses everyone who disagrees with him with attacks and nothing but arguing...this is too funny... :lol:

It is interesting that believers always claim to be attacked when someone is not silent about their non belief. Their double standard, as seen here, holds that they can defend their beliefs, but when non believers defend themselves from personal attacks, that's wrong.

If you go back and read my first posting in this thread you'll find no attack on you, but was a reply to your argument.

• Administrator
Youre posting that question??? Youre joking, right? This from the person that accuses everyone who disagrees with him with attacks and nothing but arguing...this is too funny... :lol:

And with this the thread comes to a screeching 72 hour pause....

This, for the record, is a heads up that this is the kind of statement that we referred to when we said "baiting."