Movie Picks

rrcanna

YES

1. The Score (2001) - Robert De Niro, Edward Norton, Marlon Brando - De Niro and Norton are great in this "one last caper, then I retire from crime" flick, and Brando waddles along for the ride.

2. The Magnificent Seven (1960) - Yul Brynner, Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen - Pick of the Week - Best of the Best - adapted from Kurosawa's legendary Japanese film The Seven Samurai.

3. Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas (1998) - Johnny Depp, Benicio Del Toro, Tobey Maguire - Squares hate this film (Roger Ebert and most other mainstream critics hated it).

4. Bert Rigby You're A Fool (1989) - Robert Lindsay, Cathryn Bradshaw, Anne Bancroft - a Carl Reiner film that is in some ways (most ways) a tribute to the Great Musicals, Gene Kelly, etc. - very good movie.

5. Any Given Sunday (1999) - Al Pacino, Cameron Diaz, Dennis Quaid - I didn't enjoy this so much as I appreciated it. A good flick, even though I hate professional sports, particularly football.

6. Leap of Faith (1992) - Steve Martin, Debra Winger, Lukas Haas - a really good film, perhaps Martin's best ever (because he's not playing "funny") - secondary characters are very well developed - if the ending had been better (it kind of sputters out) this could have been a Best Of The Best.

7. Rounders (1998) - Matt Damon, Edward Norton, Paul Cicero - well-acted (of course; Edward Norton's in it), and I do love poker.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO

1. Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex *But Were Afraid To Ask (1972) - Woody Allen, Tony Randall, Gene Wilder - several totally unrelated stories that are sophomoric and boring, cobbled together like pieces of songs that don't stand alone (as in Paul McCartney's style of songwriting).

2. The Legend of Zorro (2005) - Antonio Banderas, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Adrian Alonso - The Mask of Zorro, with the same lead couple, was better - in this one, Zeta-Jones plays a nag - it's annoying.

3. Yours Mine and Ours (2005) - Dennis Quaid, Rene Russo, Rip Torn - Class C Chick Flick.

4. *The Missing (2003) - Tommy Lee Jones, Cate Blanchett, Evan Rachel Wood (* means almost Yes) - parts of this film are very good, and parts of it just don't make sense - it needed another director.

5. Bail Out (1989) - David Hasselhoff, Linda Blair, Tony Brubaker - one of the worst films ever made - truly horrid - somebody should be arrested for making this film.

6. Dream To Believe (aka Flying), 1986 - Olivia d'Abo, Rita Tushingham, Keanu Reeves - as dumb and dippy as Keanu Reeves is, this film is dumber and dippier, because he's younger.

7. Kazaam (1996) - Shaquille O'Neal, Francis Capra, Ally Walker - Shaq can hardly walk and chew gum at the same time, let alone act - This combo blaxploitation/sports-star film was made strictly for the IQ-challenged.

------------------------------------

SPECIAL AWARD: Worst Russian Accent Of All Time - Robert Duvall in Stalin, 1992.

If you think Sean Connery's accent was the worst ever in Hunt For Red October, you've gotta see this made-for-TV Stalin. In some ways this is an enjoyable film, as History - a good, educational film for students - but Duvall's accent is so bad you can't appreciate the film for laughing at him. This is even worse than Gregory Peck's fake German accent in The Boys From Brazil.