Experts To Fact Check 'the Da Vinci Code'

howardseh

Since when does FICTION need to have facts???

If so.... things like Star Trek and Narnia are in big trouble..

Aslan isn't real?!

Seriously. It's speculation and fun.

I think the story indicated that it was more an inquiry into the speculations made in the book.

Did anyone else think the book was totally over-hyped?

Good grief you hardly need experts.

Anyone who has visited Paris (for instance) and used their eyes can tell you his descriptions of key buildings and artefacts are inaccurate.

I haven't seen Roslin chapel in Scotland, but I'm told by those who have that he's got that wrong as well.

The Da Vinci code has hit a chord in that there is a hidden female history in Christianity. But if it's the one he describes I'll eat a scabby monkey. Without salt.

Anyone who has visited Paris (for instance) and used their eyes can tell you his descriptions of key buildings and artefacts are inaccurate.

I haven't seen Roslin chapel in Scotland, but I'm told by those who have that he's got that wrong as well.

The Da Vinci code has hit a chord in that there is a hidden female history in Christianity. But if it's the one he describes I'll eat a scabby monkey. Without salt.

hmmmm... scabby monkeys....droool

Main Entry: fic·tion

Pronunciation: 'fik-sh&n

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English ficcioun, from Middle French fiction, from Latin fiction-, fictio act of fashioning, fiction, from fingere to shape, fashion, feign -- more at DOUGH

1 a : something invented by the imagination or feigned; specifically : an invented story b : fictitious literature (as novels or short stories) c : a work of fiction; especially : NOVEL

2 a : an assumption of a possibility as a fact irrespective of the question of its truth <a legal fiction> b : a useful illusion or pretense

3 : the action of feigning or of creating with the imagination

From

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

I added the Bold... Dan Brown wrote a pretty darn good work of Fiction and now hopefully it will be a good movie.... I don't get why so many are up in arms.. he never represented anything as truth...

Edited by Sky

Main Entry: fic·tion

Pronunciation: 'fik-sh&n

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English ficcioun, from Middle French fiction, from Latin fiction-, fictio act of fashioning, fiction, from fingere to shape, fashion, feign -- more at DOUGH

1 a : something invented by the imagination or feigned; specifically : an invented story b : fictitious literature (as novels or short stories) c : a work of fiction; especially : NOVEL

2 a : an assumption of a possibility as a fact irrespective of the question of its truth <a legal fiction> b : a useful illusion or pretense

3 : the action of feigning or of creating with the imagination

From

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

I added the Bold... Dan Brown wrote a pretty darn good work of Fiction and now hopefully it will be a good movie.... I don't get why so many are up in arms.. he never represented anything as truth...

I think some people cannot seperate the fiction from the non-fiction, especially when it comes to religion. Brown, at the beginning of his books, indicates which things are true, and confirms that everything else is his imagination or hypothesis.

From Browns website:

The Da Vinci Code is a novel and therefore a work of fiction. While the book's characters and their actions are obviously not real, the artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals depicted in this novel all exist (for example, Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings, the Gnostic Gospels, Hieros Gamos, etc.). These real elements are interpreted and debated by fictional characters. While it is my belief that some of the theories discussed by these characters may have merit, each individual reader must explore these characters' viewpoints and come to his or her own interpretations. My hope in writing this novel was that the story would serve as a catalyst and a springboard for people to discuss the important topics of faith, religion, and history.

I think some people cannot seperate the fiction from the non-fiction, especially when it comes to religion. Brown, at the beginning of his books, indicates which things are true, and confirms that everything else is his imagination or hypothesis.

From Browns website:

The Da Vinci Code is a novel and therefore a work of fiction. While the book's characters and their actions are obviously not real, the artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals depicted in this novel all exist (for example, Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings, the Gnostic Gospels, Hieros Gamos, etc.). These real elements are interpreted and debated by fictional characters. While it is my belief that some of the theories discussed by these characters may have merit, each individual reader must explore these characters' viewpoints and come to his or her own interpretations. My hope in writing this novel was that the story would serve as a catalyst and a springboard for people to discuss the important topics of faith, religion, and history.

Forgot about that.. he even has a disclaimer in the beginning...

• 4 weeks later...
Dan Brown wrote a pretty darn good work of Fiction and now hopefully it will be a good movie.... I don't get why so many are up in arms.. he never represented anything as truth...

From Browns website:

Unfortunately, his descriptions of the artwork and the architecture, at least, are notably inaccurate.

Or should I say fictional.

Can't comment about the documents, and of course "secret rituals" can hardly be checked... they are secret.

But that statement is pretty much the most fictional thing in the book.

Edited by Bluecat

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dirtydog
I think some people cannot seperate the fiction from the non-fiction, especially when it comes to religion.

This is very true especially when there's a possibility that some if not all religions may or may not contain fiction or are completely ficticious from the start. But we sheep can not tell the difference because of our limited perception and we our guided partially by our upbringing as well as our personal life experiences.

Dean

Scabby Monkeys? :eat::crazy::stinker::shift:

If I were a believer of thechristian mythology, I might be tempted to believe that there was a cover-up to hide the truth of Jesus & Mary's relationship & Mary's role in the whole deity hierchy. One of the things that turned me off to Christianity when I was growing up was the anti-sex & anti-woman attitude of the religion.