Movies Good

rrcanna

Here are the latest recommendatiions from < http://www.opinionsoup.com/movies.html >. Please visit our Movies page and click around!

Movies - YES, the Best:

Bugsy (1991), Warren Beatty, Annette Bening, Harvey Keitel

The Caine Mutiny (1954), Humphrey Bogart, José Ferrer, Fred MacMurray

Hope and Glory (1987), Sebastian Rice-Edwards, Sarah Miles

It's A Wonderful Life (1946), James Stewart, Donna Reed

Jacknife (1989), Robert De Niro, Ed Harris, Karen Baker

Like Water For Chocolate (1992), Mario Leonardi, Lumi Cavasos

Star Kid (1997, movie for kids), Joseph Mazzello

Movies - NO, Flawed or Just Plain Sucks (* means almost good):

Blues Brothers 2000 (1998), Dan Aykroyd, John Goodman

Charlie's Angels (2000), Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore, Lucy Liu

Groundhog Day (1993), Bill Murray, Andie MacDowell

*Man On The Moon (1999), Jim Carrey, Courtney Love

Red Eye (2005), Rachel McAdams, Cillian Murphy

*A Simple Plan (1998), Bill Paxton, Bridget Fonda, Billy Bob Thornton

Wayne's World (1992), Mike Myers, Dana Carvey

Groundhog day sucks?

Either you weren't on drugs when you watched it and you should have been, or you were on drugs and you shouldn't have been.

It's just my opinion.

But of course. 'Tis my opinion that it belongs in the first list.

Oh, and The Sting, too.

Oh, and Blue Velvet, too.

Oh, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail, too.

Oh, and A Clockwork Orange, too.

Oh, and Schindler's List, too

Oh, and Who's That Girl, too.

Well, ok, not Who's That Girl.

I only list seven Yes and seven No each week. A longer list can be found here: http://www.opinionsoup.com/movies.html just below the weekly picks, and under that is a Best Of The Best list. All my opinion, only. You know - it's like, sometimes I agree with Roger Ebert, and sometimes I don't. So you can agree with me or not. The thing about it is, we all love movies. I admit that I don't like most American comedy films very much, especially when they have people from SNL in them.

What? You don't like people from SNL in general, or it just so happens that the movies these folks are in, you tend to not like?

Who's Roger Ebert?

1. Correct and double.

2. He's just a guy my age that I know from Chicago...an old fan of my folk group...he gets paid a lot more than I do to write about movies.

~ I was wondering about 'Groundhog Day' too. Like that one.

How's about...

{Just to be obnoxious & such, in no order}

Wind {silent}

Finding Nemo

Kill Bill {the set}

Cleopatra {with Claudet Coubert}

Sin City

Ice Age

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Labyrinth

The Nest {it's Norwegian}

Alien Mine

One's that you should never watch!

{trust me, they cause brain damage...}

Soccer Dog

Son of the mask

... I've lost my thought just remembering those, sorry.

There are more, I'm just, uhhh, yuk.

What? You don't like people from SNL in general, or it just so happens that the movies these folks are in, you tend to not like?

Who's Roger Ebert?

1. Correct and double.

2. He's just a guy my age that I know from Chicago...an old fan of my folk group...he gets paid a lot more than I do to write about movies.

Hmmm... Perhaps your friend Roger gets paid more because his opinions aren't clouded by extreme bias like "don't like American comedies" and "don't like former SNL cast members." It seems to me that a critic should try to approach each new project with as blank a slate as possible if they are to be able to write useful reviews.

Or, perhaps not. Maybe he was just in the right place at the right time.

Edited by Verisoph

~ I was wondering about 'Groundhog Day' too. Like that one.

How's about...

{Just to be obnoxious & such, in no order}

Wind {silent}

Finding Nemo

Kill Bill {the set}

Cleopatra {with Claudet Coubert}

Sin City

Ice Age

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Labyrinth

The Nest {it's Norwegian}

Alien Mine

One's that you should never watch!

{trust me, they cause brain damage...}

Soccer Dog

Son of the mask

... I've lost my thought just remembering those, sorry.

There are more, I'm just, uhhh, yuk.

Sin City was excellent! :thumbu:

You think the best reviewers are the ones with all sorts of preconceived notions and personal prejudices?

There are no reviewers with no preconceived notions or personal prejudices. However, anyone worth his salt can see and say, on occacion, "well, I was wrong about that."

My recommendations are not reviews. They are recommendations. My reviews are much longer and can be found at imdb.com, and occasionally at amazon.com and occasionally on my own site. Mostly, I don't do reviews. I'm sorry I pissed you off, somehow.

You haven't pissed me off - not in the least. Sorry to have made you think that you had.

There are no reviewers with no preconceived notions or personal prejudices. However, anyone worth his salt can see and say, on occacion, "well, I was wrong about that."

Yes, everyone has their own opinions about everything. I'll even go so far as to say that there's no such thing as an opinion that's wrong, as that would be a matter of opinion. But, some people are more firm than others in their attachment to their opinions. Whether this is good or not is a matter of circumstance as much as it's a matter of opinion - it might be good for presidents, but it probably isn't so good for critics.

To be honest, I thought I detected a note of jealousy in what you were saying about your friend making more money than you writing about movies, so I put forth my first guess as to why that might be. You are pretty firm in, and vocal about, your opinions. No offense intended. I actually was trying to defend your writing skills.

Regards,

Verisoph

You haven't pissed me off - not in the least. Sorry to have made you think that you had.

There are no reviewers with no preconceived notions or personal prejudices. However, anyone worth his salt can see and say, on occasion, "well, I was wrong about that."

Yes, everyone has their own opinions about everything. I'll even go so far as to say that there's no such thing as an opinion that's wrong, as that would be a matter of opinion. But, some people are more firm than others in their attachment to their opinions. Whether this is good or not is a matter of circumstance as much as it's a matter of opinion - it might be good for presidents, but it probably isn't so good for critics.

To be honest, I thought I detected a note of jealousy in what you were saying about your friend making more money than you writing about movies, so I put forth my first guess as to why that might be. You are pretty firm in, and vocal about, your opinions. No offense intended. I actually was trying to defend your writing skills.

Regards,

Verisoph

Roger Ebert is not a friend of mine (although I have met him and he was a fan of my folk group), and I certainly am not jealous of him (or of any person on this planet). I was joking, because I thought you were joking with "who is Roger Ebert?". Roger Ebert is, like, the most famous movie critic in the entire world.