Movies

Jason ON

I've been thinking about posting this for some time, now, but not until I read PMO's post in my OPUD DEI topic did I actually decide to.

When Revenge of the Sith came out, Catholics in Mexico protested because Anakin being the saviour of the Jedi's and fullfulling a prophecy was too close to Jesus.

Catholics have been protesting the DaVinci Code book for years now and are (apparently) prepped to protest and possibly boycott the movie based on the book.

The new Superman Returns movie has Jor-El telling Clark Kent (Superman) that the Earth people are a good people and that is why he sent them his only son.

With the surge of conservative christianity in recent years, can we expect a folkloric icon of American mythos like Superman to be protested by catholics, too? Or should religious groups just look at it as etertainment and not worry about it?

I mean, no one protested Dune even though it's about a prophet/saviour from the desert.

What other movies have religious overtones that no one protested?

Yeah, I read something about the christian overtones in that movie, but when I saw it I didn't see it. I guess you really have to be looking for it.

Regardless, I didn't like that movie at all. It was dumb. I can only hope the books are better.

Most movies are based on some type of mythology, whether it is the hero of American folklore who makes an ultimate sacrifice, the "loki" style trickster which can be seen in many comedic films, or other mythic creatures...why? Because as humans, we identify with them. We recognize them and we recognize those parts of us that we wish could be shown. It's one of the reasons that I tell kids that religion is the strongest influence on history and culture. If you can understand a culture's religion, that you have a better chance of understanding the people and culture. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I read something about the christian overtones in that movie, but when I saw it I didn't see it. I guess you really have to be looking for it.

Regardless, I didn't like that movie at all. It was dumb. I can only hope the books are better.

Do you recall Aslan's speech right after he was reanimated? This was a very Christian-influenced speech, and quite moving.

I remember when the jews were complaining about Mel Gibson's flic on Jesus. I figure if they don't like it, they don't have to watch it. No one's holding a gun to their head.

The film you refer to is called "The Passion". As a jew, I remember receiving the letter telling me I was supposed to complain about it.

For a fairly even handed description of the turmoil surrounding the release of this film, you could go here'

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/980753/posts.

Or not. After all, no one is holding a gun to your head.

Do you recall Aslan's speech right after he was reanimated? This was a very Christian-influenced speech, and quite moving.

I didn't think that was christian. I just thought it was sappy and stupid. I would rather have listened to what he told the one brother to make him like his other brother.

What about O Brother, Where Art Thou?, which was filmed partly right here in my hometown. All through it, George Clooney's character is openly and loudly derisive of the other two, referring to them as "superstitious sons-a-bitches" for their baptism and "getting saved." I loved it, but the local Christians either didn't get it or were too happy that they were in it and getting residual checks from SAG.