Brokeback Mountain

No Day But Today

Has anyone seen it? What yall think about it? I am going with friends on Sunday and was wondering if it lives up to all the hype that surrounds it?

Haven't seen it, don't plan to see it.

Every Pastor I know recommends NOT seeing it, because supposedly it's about gay cowboys.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone seen it? What yall think about it? I am going with friends on Sunday and was wondering if it lives up to all the hype that surrounds it?

Every Pastor I know recommends NOT seeing it, because supposedly it's about gay cowboys.

You've been off-planet for a couple of weeks, right?

Ummm......Yeah.......It is about gay cowboys........But it's more than that. It's not some sort of documentary on the lives of gay cowboys or something. It's a dramatic film, a movie, you know, a story? So what if there are gay characters? Would you stop coming into this forum if there were gay people here?

My understanding is that above all else, it's a love story. Not a gay cowboy story.

It's a shame that some pastors encourage closed minds and intolerance. :(

I'm not sure we know enough to suggest that this recommendation about a movie (presumably based upon beliefs and opinions, and preached to the choir, so to speak) is encouraging closed minds and intolerance.

Ummm......Yeah.......It is about gay cowboys........But it's more than that. It's not some sort of documentary on the lives of gay cowboys or something. It's a dramatic film, a movie, you know, a story? So what if there are gay characters? Would you stop coming into this forum if there were gay people here?

I though it was sheep herders, not cowboys ( from the reviews)

For a Pastor to go and tell people NOT to see a movie because the characters are gay I think is wrong, it only goes to bread hate and intolerance which is what I thought religion was trying to get rid of.... *scratches hed*

HOLY Crikies Batman...there are gay people here....

I though it was sheep herders, not cowboys ( from the reviews)

EH, Jack (Jake's character) was a rodeo boy and Heath came from a rancher family, they herd sheep together on Brokeback. So I guess you can call them rodeo/rancher herders. Either way it was a good movie. My friend Dan enjoyed the movie, he comes from a tight Christian upbringing, he was caught off guard by the male on male sex scene but was ok with the male on male making out.

I seldom watch TV, but I saw part of one episode of this show at someone else's house - I don't remember liking it or not liking it. I remember reading that one of the stars was making the rounds of the talk shows saying that he was actually straight. Of course the homophobe Jimmy Kimmel pounded him for that, in the most disgusting way - that is, telling bad homophobic jokes assuming that his audience agreed with his pov.

ok, saw brokeback last night. the acting is incredibly good, the story is well written.

it is all about two guys who happen to be midwestern and work as sheepherders, cowboys, rodeo riders, and farmers during their life.

they fall in love by accident and the sex scenes are not as blatent as you might think. i mean if you saw one episode of queer as folk or any recent bond movie then you saw more sex and nudity than you will see in this movie. there are 3 nudes scenes and one obvious sex scene.

the first nude scene one guy is naked squating down taking a bath in a bucket. nothing shown. the second the other guy is squating at the river bank in the nude washing his clothes. nothing shown. the third the two guys jump off a rock into a river in the nude. shot so far away you cannot see anything.

the sex scene is kissing, ripping open each others shirts and pants, and then some intercourse. this time there is still not what you would call nudity because everything happens just outside of the camera's point of view. it dosen't even look like the one getting penetrated takes off his jeans. in short, nothing is really shown that you haven't seen on a soap opera on abc, cbs, or nbc.

if you go see this expecting wild sex between two guys, you will be sorely disappointed. the have sex, and it is obvious.

the movie is about a love relationship that has to remain hidden, and eventuallly destroys their lives. had they not hid it they would have been killed, and had they simply moved off and lived together they wouold have been happy.

instead their lives are miserable because they choose to stay apart. and this choice becomes too much for one of them and he begins to see other men which winds up causing big problems. (no more details, i don't want to spoil it.)

i liked the movie and would reccomend it highly to anyone who enjoys drama, good acting, good direction, and a good story. as a movie it is a good movie, however i thinl it will not stand the test of time because the subject matter will become too dated over the years.

as a historical movie ( it starts in 1963 and ends sometime in the late 90's) it shows senseless bigotry, fear of being who you are and how life was for gays in the west and mid west.

hugs,

joe

Great review, Joe. I disagree with you on one point: I believe this film WILL "stand the test of time," because it is a groundbreaker.

I have heard some criticism from the gay world about using straight actors, but how could gay ones have been any better? And of course these two are big stars, so it was a business decision as well as an artistic one. I praise these actors for all that is meant by their going for these roles, and I praise them for how good they were.

I praise Ang Lee, also, although this job was really a gift to him for previous excellence.

It ain't Gone With The Wind, but watch how things change, now.