Brokeback Mountain

No Day But Today

Why would I ever be offended by what other people do in their own bedroom? I've never understood that.

I do understand that many people like to use the Bible as a tool to discriminate aginst others. That goes for far more than just homosexuals.

Other than those who misinterpret scripture, I know of no one who feel homosexuality is immoral.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would I ever be offended by what other people do in their own bedroom? I've never understood that.

I do understand that many people like to use the Bible as a tool to discriminate aginst others. That goes for far more than just homosexuals.

Other than those who misinterpret scripture, I know of no one who feel homosexuality is immoral.

I would say that almost everyone thinks that homosexual activiy is immoral and against God's will.

Most are getting scared to talk out about it, today since everyone wants to pretend to be politically correct.

but when given the chance to vote on gay issues, it has been obvious that at least in America it is not an accepted conduct.

I would say that almost everyone thinks that homosexual activiy is immoral and against God's will.

Most are getting scared to talk out about it, today since everyone wants to pretend to be politically correct.

but when given the chance to vote on gay issues, it has been obvious that at least in America it is not an accepted conduct.

That sounds a lot like what people said about African Americans in the mid 60s....

After much, much, much consideration and discussion, this thread is again open for business, minus a few posts that have been removed from view. Rule violations have been dealt with accordingly.

If we're unable to remain civil to and tolerant of one another, it will be closed permanently.

A reminder that this thread is in Audio/Visual Arts, and the purpose of the thread is to discuss a film. Anyone interested in debating the morality of homosexuality is welcome to do so in a more appropriate section of the forum.

Thanks again for your patience.

Edited by Ms.Nicey-Nice

Haven't seen the film yet but we'll probably go next week.

The story it's based on (Brokeback Mountain, by Annie Proulx) is the best short story I've read in several years.

I'm speaking as someone who reads for their living.

Absolutely heartbreaking: about love found and lost, about longing, tenderness and fear.

I really hope the film has done it credit. I suspect it may have Hollywooded it up a bit.

It's definitely Hollywood, but not a typical Hollywood movie. Not a Hollywood ending.

It's a really, really good film, and I think it will be Best Picture. The only serious contenders for Best Actor, in my opinion, are Heath Ledger in Brokeback (Hooray for Oz!), and Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote.

Not trying to provoke any argument, I believe that many who object to this film have not seen it and will not. They will give you an opinion that is not based on the film at all.

Oscar contenders will not be announced until January 31st, but you can get a hint from the Golden Globe winners. Google for them or go to < http://www.imdb.com >. For my personal predictions, please visit my movies page < http://www.opinionsoup.com/movies.html >.

Well...I did see it. The hype was a tad bit overdone and people making a huge deal over the gay issue is being taken too far. Yes it was based on gay cowboys who did happen to be guys ( i think if it was lesbians the hype would be different)...HOWEVER, that said, the movie was good. It had a good story behind it. It was touching to some extent, had some meaning. Overall I did enjoy the movie and think the bulk of the hype is from those who are against the male on male interaction.

Well...I did see it. The hype was a tad bit overdone and people making a huge deal over the gay issue is being taken too far. Yes it was based on gay cowboys who did happen to be guys ( i think if it was lesbians the hype would be different)...HOWEVER, that said, the movie was good. It had a good story behind it. It was touching to some extent, had some meaning. Overall I did enjoy the movie and think the bulk of the hype is from those who are against the male on male interaction.

Worth paying the theatre big bucks for, or would you suggest waiting to rent the DVD?

Worth paying the theatre big bucks for, or would you suggest waiting to rent the DVD?

I would say if you really want to see it then shell out the money BUT see if they have it showing at discount matinee times if not wait for DVD. It was good but its a waitable movie.

Thanks; I've actually been looking forward to your critique! We certainly agree. This is a love story, like any other love story except it's guys. A very good film, IMO.

there were talking about some movie comming out soon that was going to be at the theater, on DVD and pay per view all in the same week.

I can't remember what it was, has anyone heard about this concept.

there were talking about some movie comming out soon that was going to be at the theater, on DVD and pay per view all in the same week.

I can't remember what it was, has anyone heard about this concept.

Yes, it was on the news the other day. The name of the movie is Bubble.

Bubble

Would either of you object if I moved these posts to their own topic? It sounds interesting!

by hollywooded up you mean wrecked right?

Not necessarily wrecked. Just umm... Hollywooded.

The first paragraph of the short story (elderly man living alone in a trailer on a dusty prairie gets up and re-heats yesterday's coffee) is a bit hard to match with the gleaming-toothed lithe young fellers in spotless ironed jeans that you see on the posters.

If it's your kind of thing at all, I expect most people would prefer to see the lithe young fellers in a clinch... but that isn't what the story's really about.

Everyone with any interest at all in this - DO read the story. All the stories of hers I've read are great (the novels less so, for me) but that one really is something special.

Another good one (specially for all you folks out there in law enforcement) is "The Hellhole". :king:

Thanks; I've actually been looking forward to your critique! We certainly agree. This is a love story, like any other love story except it's guys. A very good film, IMO.

I am actually going back to see it tomorrow with one of my male friends...I cant wait to see his reaction :):)